How To Not Be A Victim Of The Loudness Wars

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dat56, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Hey - thanks!. At least I learned something there..

Again - just trying to understand the differences between potential data loss (or not) between different mediums....

VP

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You need to find (as I've mentioned here many times) an album that was mastered by the same person in two different formats using the same tape. Try the DCC AQUALUNG or a DOORS or whatever.

3. 3db

3db New Member

That's just it. There is no data loss in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. The best thing to come along for Symphonic recordings is the CD format. In the hands of a skillful mastering engineeer, it captures the dynamic range much better than vinyl could ever hope for and without compression.

4. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

+1

VP

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

If you're referring to Mojo BD, it was 24/48 (not 16/44) IIRC...

6. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The Ted Jensen masterings of "Sports" by Huey Lewis and the News on both CD and LP sound identical to me.

7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Steve on your very informative FAQ you mentioned some differences on the Doors "First" album, changes you had to make on the vinyl version to accomodate the length of the album. Are you able to reveal what was different? Was it only the overall level or bass or what?

8. 3db

3db New Member

MOJO BD? I was referring to the vinyl and CD versions of that album.

9. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

You said "digital" actually ;)

10. 3db

3db New Member

I said digitally mastered which the vinyl version was. ;)

11. Make sure you don't have the first pressing of the Nightfly (the target pressing with the 02 in the matrix). It didn't sound great and was quickly withdrawn and restored by Roger Nichols.

I think The Nightfly sounds great on LP and CD, and also on DVD-A. The DVD-A has a slightly extended opening to Green Flower Street, BTW.

12. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

you know that "penultimate" means "second from the last", right?

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

"The Division Bell" is Pink Floyd's penultimate album.

14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

assuming you are just talking about studio records and assuming PF will never make another studio record, then Momentary Lapse would be their penultimate album, not Division.

15. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

To me, neither even count as true Pink Floyd so who cares.....:D

16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Pink Floyd wasn't the best choice to avoid confusion. I was counting Pulse as their last main album that wasn't a compilation even though it's not a studio album. I shouldn't have. "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" would be a more proper example as their penultimate album from their main discography.

I used the Pink Floyd as an example to show the penultimate album wouldn't be their best or second best. Just their second to last.

17. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

18. James Reeno

James Reeno Active Member

I am going to do something about it by NOT using any compression/limiting on my mixes moving forward. Sure, my cd will be quiet, but so what?

c-eling and dat56 like this.
  19. James Reeno

James Reeno Active Member

W

Well said! I've very recently been comparing the remasters with the original cd's and found that I should never have purchased the remasters!!

I am releasing an album later this year, and for the first time ever, I will NOT be using any compression/limiting at al when I master it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.