Sped-Up Singles (Chipmunks Excluded)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I think I have a 70's copy US Capitol label copy of McCartney's "The Mess" B side issued on a 45 that sounds like it was cut at 33 1/3.

I posted this comment here before, but when I did a web search for "McCartney - The Mess" to do some research, most of the searches returned results for "Heather Mills" :agree:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. Is that the song that Pebbles and Bamm Bamm sang?

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes - the Cowboy Church Sunday School was the original version, a Top 10 hit in early 1955.

4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Never heard that before -- just listened on youtube. Did anyone ever post a slowed-down version anywhere on the web?

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is indeed my YouTube upload of the slowed down version.

6. HominyRhodes

You did that? Well done, sounds very natural (in a kindergarten-teacher sort of way). Thanks!

7. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

The radio version of "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight.." by Genesis plays fast. I think that might have been on purpose back in the day to make it fit on a 45? Turns up on Muzak quite often 'round these parts.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Because I knew exactly how to slow it down in the digital domain.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I remember Top 40 stations doing this in the 80's and 90's as well. I even recall hearing an alternative station in the early 90's that was "pitched up" while driving through the Carolinas (Green Day sounding very Chipmunk-y).

HominyRhodes likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In Australia Sultans of Swing was an FM radio hit. When the AM stations started playing it they really sped it up. It was like Lonely Little Girl by The Mothers of Invention.

11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I've done a version of that with the sped-up part at the normal, recorded speed; it sounds VERY creepy.

12. HominyRhodes

I love that song -- please post your slow, creepy version.

13. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Not sure whether I've heard it, but I read "somewhere" that the single of 'Pinball Wizard' by The Who was sped up from the album version.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

It's on MiniDisc, I'm afraid. And I'm technologically backward. Don't suppose you have a RTR machine, by any chance?.

Another one :

The Canadian 45 of XTC's 'Love At First Sight'.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  15. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

The Fatboy Slim mix of Corneshop's Brimful of Asha that was the hit in the UK is practically a different song from the original in addition to being given a chipmunk-like speed.

16. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

The tape for this was sped up a full scale step for the single... no one knows why...

HominyRhodes likes this.
  17. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 singles/songs were goosed up.

I do know that James Brown sped up both "Funky President" and "Reality" for reasons I really don't know.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  18. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

Bryan Adam's first single "Let Me Take You Dancing", released 1979 was sped up and somehow i always got the feeling that near the end of the song "The Reflex" by Duran Duran it was a bit faster but i guess that's just me.

19. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

The single version of "A Question of Time" by Depeche Mode that was found on The Singles 86>98 compilation is sped up by about a semi-tone, which I believe was a mistake in compiling/mastering the retrospective.

The odd thing is, both the album mix on Black Celebration and the original 7" single mix were released at the proper speed/pitch.

[​IMG]

onionmaster likes this.
  20. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue" US 45 is noticeably faster than the LP/CD version.

21. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Most went to 3%. To this day, "Jackie Blue" sounds really slow, when I hear it.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  22. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

That was part of it, but it was to make the station sound more "exciting" that it's competitors. There were two stations in a midwest town, that got into a battle of "faster' songs. When one speed up, the other would speed up a little faster. Legend has it, that one of them brought "Layla" in at five minutes.

23. Ronnie & The Daytonas - "Little G.T.O." was sped up.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Carpenters "I Won't Last A Day Without You" is sped up slightly on a bunch of albums, both in its single mix and its album mix. See this page for what's where: http://carpenters.amcorner.com/song/i-wont-last-a-day-without-you

Carpenters also had that sped-up trilogy of songs on THE SINGLES 1969-1973, featuring "Superstar", "Rainy Days And Mondays", and "Goodbye To Love". Some later versions have the correct speed.

Carpenters A KIND OF HUSH album had the song "You" sped up slightly on the A&M CD issued in the 80s. When reissued on the Remastered Classics, the song was slowed down slightly.

Harry

25. bruking

bruking Active Member

sonny charles and the checkmates "black pearl".spector sped up the vocals to the annoyance of sonny charles.said it made him sound like "a girl"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.