Vinyl sales up 745% on Amazon.... news article about vinyl resurgence

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I would definitely be interested in the Caravan album if AAA ... where did you find the source information?

2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I only ignore certain adults with kids i only have fun from time to time (not worth it) :D

He is ON topic sadly you are not most of the times. :cool:

still cd the king? i could have swear stream have taken the crown by this time. I think those figures are still high for all those formats.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

This from the guy who PMed me saying he was going to put me on ignore and report another forum regular for foul language because he said "thread crap." :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

vinylphile likes this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Actually he's not on topic because the topic is not vinyl becoming "king" and outselling other formats. To say that something has increased in popularity is not to say that it has become dominant among other options. Most people here supporting vinyl understand that and are not even seriously arguing that vinyl will become the most dominant format. Trying to make this about a "contest" that one format must "win" is truly off-topic.

e.s., David.m, johnnypaddock and 4 others like this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some of it is on the B to B site if you look at the individual album descriptions. The Caravan sounds analogue but is cut at a rather low level. The latest batch (Denny/Fairport/R&L Thompson) are excellent.

6. Smiths22

ok ok you have a point here. I agree.

dkmonroe likes this.
  7. dkmonroe

And I'm pedantic! :laugh:

(That doesn't work so well after your edit. At first it was going to be you saying, "I agree", and me responding with, "And I'm pedantic!", but you edited and now I just look weird...:laugh:)

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

As well as childish.

e.s., Scott222C, zebop and 3 others like this.
  9. Smiths22

he he same here :).

Also i completely understand that many of you love the format, i mean i respect that, me i'm in love with the CD format and i'm pretty hurt that is dying each day. However i'm not seeing in the near future a complete dead for both formats as someone said. They are gonna subsist both not like the old times though.

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. MrS

MrS Active Member

I don't understand? Is there an album you'd like you can't get on CD?
    Don't be hurt download the highest res files you can find and burn them to a blank CD, have some fun making your own album cover from Google™ Images.
    I love my wife and kids, I love music, I've never been in love with a 'format' sounds a bit perverse...:unhunh:

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  11. Time Fades Away. :whistle:

12. dkmonroe

I'm in love with my format
    Got a feel for my......aw, forget it!:laugh:

13. Actually it's more of a lifestyle store. Like a smaller department store as they sell furniture , books , artwork, home supplies and novelty whatever is hip items. So records fit right in.

14. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Right. Kinda like they sell shirts and accessories in HMV.

15. The sad thing is that most of the Virgin stores were doing well in cities like NY SF and LA because they diversified beyond CDs and DVDs. Sold some electronics iPods phones etc plus books t shirts and so on. They were profitable.

But once the venture capitalist bought the chain they found the real estate holdings were worth so much more so they quit the music biz and sold the leases to the highest bidders. Typical flippers. That's capitalism.

16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

And it looks like that member posted here once, perhaps just to troll up some fun with an over the top comment. Worked well it seems.

17. EdogawaRampo

Sounds like a pulp fiction title from the 50s or 60s: The Digital Crowd. I have plenty of digital music, but I suppose if I had to join a I crowd, it would be The Analog Crowd...oh, wait, the lifestyle enhancement spelling is required here, so The Analogue Crowd. Nah, that doesn't work for me either.

[​IMG]

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  18. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yeah, but like I said, they've been selling vinyl for over 10 years.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. EdogawaRampo

Hip items?! I like it. Do they have like a 'hip items' aisle, or is the hip stuff scattered throughout the store, or ? They have to have a marketing/placement strategy for the hip stuff, right?

"May I help you?"

"Where is your hip items section?'

"Dude, like if you have to ask, maybe you need to like check out the waffle irons over in Kitchen Wares or something" (dimissive courtesy laugh w/optional backward head toss)

e.s., Scott Wheeler and Mazzy like this.
  20. Yeah baby. Crosleys and lava lamps. And condoms.

21. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Thank you for putting this into perspective. Great job, and a sobering truth for many people...

Curveboy likes this.
  22. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Percentages always - always sound impressive. That is why percentages are used to sensationalize things.

But it's about the actual numbers, my friend... the numbers don't lie.

23. dkmonroe

But you're completely missing the point. No one is arguing that vinyl is or will ever be the dominant selling format.

e.s., Slick Willie and vinylphile like this.
  24. vinylphile

Right - well I'll give you a sobering truth. Even less than 2% of the population gives a hoot about sound quality and the overwhelming majority are happy with compressed MP3. Where does that leave ALL of us on this forum, including you?

Honestly, do you seriously think we need "sobering truth"? You seriously think we don't realize that both vinyl-lovers and audiophiles make up a tiny minority in the general population? Exactly what are you trying to prove - other than the same old, same old straw man argument?

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  25. vinylphile

Um - who is sensationalizing things? Been in a record store (yes, they're still called that) in a major city recently?

e.s. and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.