Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my son and I were talking about this today...we wanna see it...Damn the work on her nose is quite noticeable...why can they just be happy with what they had?...she was a fox and ddi not need any work IMO...I like her looks so much better before the nosejob!

soundboy likes this.
  2. I let you tell me how Korean actor Choi Min-sik was in it. It's not really the type of movie I'd see but I am curious about Choi's role in a non-Korean film.

3. we talkin' Jennifer Connelley here? :angel:

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Looks like a cross between Limitless and La Femme Nikita ...

--Geoff

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Did Hercules bomb? It's like a retread of Scorpion King.

6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

No. It's doing okay, not great but not a disaster. With a production budget of $100 mil it should make it's money back before the end of it's run. I'm thinking the overseas market helps it a lot.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Box Office Mojo predicting Guardians to have a huge weekend. I'm curious to see if it hits the $80m mark, I was thinking somewhere around $65. But I think word of mouth will drive the film for at least the first two weeks and give it some decent legs even if it doesn't have a record opening.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3882&p=.htm

8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I have just seen Guardians ! I enjoyed it but its nothing we haven't seen before !

mikeyt likes this.
  9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Anyone have some insight into predictions for the Ninja Turtles movie on 8/8? It seems to be getting rather “meh” commentary from all corners. I’m not hearing a lot of “oh man, this is going to be the biggest bomb ever”, but also nothing super positive. A lot of uber-fan nerds seems to be “meh” about it too.

Hard to believe they may have messed this up so bad. The newest iteration of the TV show appears to be super popular with kids, as are all the toys, and there is huge nostalgia for the 80’s turtles. There’s a huge fanbase there.

Most common comment I’ve heard on the new movie is that they simply look way too ugly. Not gritty or realistic, just ugly. I wonder how much the simple look of the CGI characters might turn people off.

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I kinda forgot this was even coming out. I dunno, maybe it just wasn't on my radar, but there seems to have been a pretty low-key marketing campaign for it compared to Guardians of the Galaxy.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Probably a safe summer movie appealing to kids + Megan Fox for the teenage boys and the Dads. I see the budget is estimated at $125 million, though.

mikeyt likes this.
  12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I don't think it's going to be a big hit, and I think the reason why the marketing campaign was toned down was b/c it's not tracking as well as Paramount had hoped. It's looking to open around $45m. This movie didn't really appeal to long-time fans, turned them away is more like it, and I'm not sure if parents are going to bring their kids out to this. Boys are more profitable than girls in terms of box office, but there's also absolutely no appeal to most females here. This movie depends on the males 15 and under, and I don't think it'll get them in the numbers to be a big hit. My prediction is that next week it opens at #2 behind Guardians, which will stay #1. I think Turtles finishes it's run with around $100m domestic, maybe another 100m worldwide.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Based on the preview I saw of Dumb and Dumber 2 that played before Guardians, I think this movie will stink out the box office, the audience laughed a grand total of 0 times, dead silence.

SMcFarlane likes this.
  14. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It played before 22 Jump Street and the audience laughed more than they should. Maybe they were laughing at it, not with it. A shame really, considering how great the first one is and still holds up.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That looks awful and like a textbook case of being better off just leaving well enough alone. I think at least half the jokes in the trailer were rehashes of stuff from the first film.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think 2 weeks ago, even the studio was predicting $70M. But they knew at Comic-Con the movie was good enough to announce a sequel in advance, which is always a good sign. I think they're cracking open the champagne at Disney -- nobody expected this thing to do $94 million, especially with a cast of (mostly) unknowns, from a very obscure comic book few people even remember. I suspect everybody loves the raccoon.

Maggie and mikeyt like this.
  17. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Welcome back!

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Groot was the big surprise for me.

19. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Welcome back, Vidiot!

I knew you wouldn't disappear from us forever!

Dan C, alexpop and hogger_reborn like this.
  20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Hi good see you back .I guess the clown who bit you and through you
    in the basement let you out.:shh::laugh:

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

"We all float down here!"

[​IMG]

smilin ed, Dan C, alexpop and 2 others like this.
  22. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I saw the trailer for Fury (Brad Pitt WWII action flick) and it looks really good. Hoping it will be a surprise hit in November. Don't know if it's based on a true story.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Let you out"
    Well you should know your avatar's still down there with the rest of your profile information. :):laugh:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I saw this too and liked it. Hopefully it will be a return to form for Pitt (haven't cared too much for his recent movies . . . e.g., World War Z, etc.).

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

"Turtles" is getting absolutely trashed by critics. It's barely in the teens on Rotten Tomatoes as of this posting, and only single digits among top critics. It's obviously not going to unseat "Guardians" for first place this weekend, but I wonder if it will even get second place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.