Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Due 29th July 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've decided to start from the beginning as it will resonate a bit more once I see the deleted scenes for FWWM. Stunning transfer. Some occasional white speckles on the pilot but, beyond that, it looks as deep, dark and rich as a damn fine cup of coffee.

kevywevy, chacha and DeeThomaz like this.
  2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The question is are you watching the episodes WITH Log Lady introductions or without? For me, it's a no-brainer (and hey, catch the major league PQ upgrade on those intros!).

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

WITH of course

Starwanderer and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Got this, but my work schedule means I won't be able to sit down with it until next week. I don't know how I'm going to resist watching the deleted scenes from FWWM first. I've had a copy of the script for years, and can hardly wait to see the scenes I've read (and re-read) so many times.

kevywevy and Big Pasi like this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm with you. But since they weren't part of the original broadcasts, I can respect a purist skipping them for their first time thru the set.

ad180 and Jerry Horne like this.
  6. Not for me. I'm getting the vintage feel. I will watch them after though.

7. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

I never saw this show in syndication, only it's original run, so the Log Lady intros have always seemed cheesy to me. That being said, I am impressed with how they've cleaned up those segments for this set, based on the screenshots I've seen. I'll probably include them in my viewing.

8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

Lots of reports of audio sync issues.

9. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Just did a quick check-out of episode 9 and The Missing Pieces. No audio sync issues for me. Using a Sony BDP-S580 player HDMI'd to a Sony STR-DH520 receiver HDMI'd to a Toshiba DLP 52HM95 TV running at 720p.

10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have an audio sync feature on my Sony receiver that seemed to fix any audio sync problems. I just had to set it to on without having to do anything else.

NUNZI likes this.
  11. None on men either ow I have to jump back to where I was in the series.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Haven't got to the FWWM bonus features yet, but the first chapter of episode 9 plays pretty wildly out of sync on my Oppo. At first I thought it might just be an error with the player, or possibly even just looped dialogue, but it continued through multiple scenes and rights itself as soon as chapter two starts. Tried turning 24fps off, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My order from amazon uk has arrived in perfect conditon.. "She's a beaut clark!".

14. I like the packaging. It's beautiful and reasonably functional. I hope I didn't pay too much for the little "Fire walk with me" piece of paper but otherwise I'm loving this set. It looks and sounds great (haven't got to episode 9 yet). I like finally having the "previously on Twin Peaks" intros. I missed that on previous sets - it was the first thing I heard every week when watching the series originally and it still provokes an "oh boy, oh boy" reaction in me. And despite having watched the series four or five times I STILL notice some subtle nuance or quietly-placed clue I hadn't noticed before in pretty much every episode.

Mr. H likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I saw the set behind the counter at the FYE on sale for $90.99. Me want it sooooo bad!!!!! No money honey!

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

You can still pick this up for 74.97USD shipped from amazon.co.uk

:D

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

There were a bunch of short inteviews with cast members on the old season 1 dvd box set (episodes 1-7, no pilot) that were left off the complete series dvd box set. Did that material make it to this blu-ray set?

18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I think those are on the blu-ray set under "postcards from the cast" as a special feature for disc 6 or 7. 55 minutes long and before the first one it has the Artisan logo appear.

19. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Watched the international pilot tonight, just another 29 episodes to go, plus the film. Is it worth watching the original pilot before embarking on the series or is it merely an edited version?

20. agentalbert

Seemed like it was more than that. I don't have the old set anymore, but I made a copy of it and have it on my hard drive. I'll have to check it when I get home and figure out how long it ran.

21. Watch at least the last five minutes of the original pilot. Lynch had to deliver a self-contained version of the pilot to European interests and just tacked on an ending that has nothing whatsoever to do with the series. The bit with the two guys at the end only exists in the European pilot and is a lot different from what happens with those characters on the series. So forget you saw that and watch the last chapter on the original pilot and carry on with the series!

Mr. H likes this.
  22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I just started watching this show on Netflix as a result of all the articles about the new Blu-Ray release...it's not at all the kind of show I typically watch, but I can't think of any other show that grabbed me right off the bat from the pilot the way TP has. I love everything about it--the characters, the pacing, the dialogue, the soundtrack--and the fact that none of these elements would ever have a chance of appearing on a network show in 2014.

kevywevy and Mr. H like this.
  23. By starting late you have saved a lot of time, stress and money! You didn't have to play "what night will it be on this week?" with ABC during the second season. You didn't have to buy the horrible-looking and not cheap VHS set or the great-looking but not cheap DVD set or the movie VHS and DVD. And you didn't have to spend twenty years wondering if you would ever see the missing scenes from the movie. This is still imho the best series (except for maybe a handful of episodes and a plot arc or two in season 2) ever!

smokeverbs, anthontherun and Mr. H like this.
  24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Thanks, I'll do that.

25. agentalbert

Just realised you were saying 55 minutes long, not 7:55 long, which is how I initially read that. Looking at the list of special features, I think everything I referred to is contained in that "Postcards From The Cast" feature and "The Glastonury Archives". That's good to know.

Reading some of the posts at blu-ray.com it sounds like a lot of people have issues with the packaging and the trays becoming unglued. Anyone here have that problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.