Quad ESL-2912 vs Martin Logan Montis

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Redux, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redux

Redux Active Member Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
    I would like your good advices on Quad vs. Martin Logan - price level 10,000$ - which leave me with the ML Montis and Quad ESL-2912. I have room/space for the much bigger Quad ESL-2912, although I like the looks of the Montis. I already have got a new Integrated, MA7900. I have heard the Montis, but no store in my City has the new Quads. However, I have the Quad ESL 63, so I know very well the sound signature of the Quads. For the record, the Montis are hybrids and the Quad is a full panel ESL speaker.

Do you have any ideas or recommendations regarding this? I have some ideas myself, but considering all the knowledge in this forum I would like to hear your opinions.

2. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I'm solidly a fan of the Quad all panel sound, myself. I'll confess I haven't heard THESE Martin Logans, but I'm not a fan of the models I've heard with the separate conventional bass drivers.

For that amount of money, I'd be sure to listen to both.

3. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

wow. $10k for the Montis? They remind me of the powered woofer version of my Vistas, the Vantage. I love the sound a ELS speaker can deliver but $10K? That's a huge jump in price in just a few short years.

Like a previous poster I've not heard the Montis. Maybe it's the cat's meow. I'm thinking more towards box speakers for my next set. $10k can get you a lot - Harbeth 40's or some really sweet Sonus Fabers.

4. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I think the Monti is really for people who want ESL and want the bass too but who also want a simpler all-in-one solution rather than venturing into subwoofers. Having heard them I think it's like all things in life - a trade-off. You get a simple, cheap (!) and space-saving solution but in my opinion you could do a lot better from an audio point of view - I felt they sounded like a pair of really good ESLs perched on top of a couple of puny, lightweight subwoofers and I really didn't find the bass convincing nor did I feel it blended well with the ESL output. If it were me I would prefer either the full-size Quads or the smaller Quads with a man-size subwoofer (like my JL Audio Fathom F112). But that's just me and a lot of people like these Martin Logan speakers so I wouldn't take too much notice!

Redux likes this.
  5. Redux

Thank you! Very honest and clear :)

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

There has not been a U.S. importer for Quad for three years. So, no, I would not buy an expensive Quad speaker. Exceptions are 57's and 63's which have a veritable cottage industry around maintaining them.

Check into the Essence ESL's. Wally at Underwood Hi Fi is selling them. Full range stat.

bhazen likes this.
  7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

He's in Norway, not the USA.

8. Redux

In Norway we have a decent importer with loads of experience on repairs etc. They fixed my ESL 63s as well. The 63s really lack bass in my living room. I am going to keep them for later use / smaller room. I am afraid that I will never get just as fine midrange ever again - but I would like a more allround performer.

If I lived in the the US I would have consider soundlab.

9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I wish Quad speakers were readily available here.

10. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

The Martin Logan panels seem to suffer more problems and shorter lifespan than the QUADs.Some people only seem to get a few good years out of them and have to take them out and wash them in a shower every so often.
    Some say because of the curvature.
    I have owned a few hybrid electrostats and ribbons over the years .The only ones I have really enjoyed for an extended period are the old B&W DM70s which I still own.
    The lack of integration between the woofer and panels becomes an issue over time.
    Go with the QUADs.

Redux likes this.
  11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I hope they have fixed the problems with glue failure that plagued my Quad ESL-989's.

12. Redux

For the record - I believe Martin Logan has imoroved the panels on the new speakers. They also claim that a new digital filter solves much of the integration issues. For me, on the Montis i felt that the bass was somewhat trapped inside the box for one or two songs with much punch/bass (the newest daft punk album). I didn't detect any issues with the integration.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  13. Redux

This is a huge problem. I allready replaced four of my 63 panels, waiting a long time for new panels (6 months!!) this is the main reason I started to consider Martin Logan.

14. Redux

Why is the lack of integration a problem over time - and not from the beginning? Just curious :)

15. Redux

I like Sonus Fabers in Every way - but they are not ESL :)

16. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

The big Quads will be best,curved Logans are too focussed and hybrids rarely integrate well
    My factory refurb 63s had no mylar problems,glues are better now.
    Stacked mylar is the best sound I have ever heard
    Stack the 2912s.

17. Redux

You say that the new quads as well have better/improved glue?

18. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

You might want to look at Magnepan entries too.

Their latest are well reviewed, and provide a great planar sound in similar prices.
    Plus they are much easier to find than Quad.

I am not saying they compete head to head with the great Quads (no sarcasm intended, they are great),
    But they seem worth taking an afternoon to hear if ther are in your area.

A great American audio company with many happy customers.

Redux likes this.
  19. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Well I guess when you buy new speakers you tend to want them to sound good so you focus on the good things.
    Over time though you start to hear their weaknesses as you listen to a wider range of material.
    Perhaps when it comes to speakers you tend to settle for ones that have the least annoying set of compromises.

Redux likes this.
  20. Redux

Unfortunelately - maggies are not available in Norway. I would love to hear them.

21. Redux

May I ask you which speakers you setteled for?

22. Redux

Maybe I can ask another question: Which other brands or loudspeakers would you consider for 10k$? I may even consider box speakers, although I do like ESL a lot. You already mentioned Sonus Faber? Other?

23. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

You might consider the Janszen zA2.1, if they are available in Norway. They have gotten good reviews and are a nice implementation of a hybrid speaker (ESL with cone woofers) in the same price range. They sounded great, even in my difficult room. (I bought a pair.)

Redux likes this.
  24. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I think the answer depends a lot on how much bass you want. If you want bass that's flat down to, say, 30Hz, you're talking about very big boxes which will force other compromises in sound, or else a subwoofer or two plus another pair of speakers for the midrange and top. If you're happy with bass that's flat down to 45Hz or 50Hz or something like that, your choices are much wider. The next question might be whether you like a "modern" sound with a very analytical top end or a more traditional, easier-on the-ear kind of sound. But to me, it all starts with the bass.

Redux likes this.
  25. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

I have several DIY speakers including Edgar horns,some ESS AMT based two ways,classic Tannoy Dual Concentrics,some classic transmission line B&W DM2 .The last set of hybrid stats I owned were the Nakamichi Dragons which were good active speakers with most of the hybrid stat problems resolved but.....I always return to my refurbished Gale 401a because they have seamlessness to them and a tight,textured and rhythmical bass that makes for great musical engagement.
    I have owned more "audiophile" speakers but none that are more musically enjoyable.

If I was buying new speakers today I would save up and buy some Magico S5s.They sound most like the Gale 401s but with a bit more bass extension and resolution.And they have sealed bass drivers [like the Gale 401s]which sets them apart from most of the [therefore compromised] competition .

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Redux likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.