Kate Bush Aerial vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love Kate Bush and have all of her records but there is one album I can't seem to find on vinyl for a reasonable price - Aerial.

There are a few copies on Ebay and Discogs, but for truly ridiculous amounts of money.

Anyone know why Aerial vinyl is so rare, or if a reissue of this two-record album is in the works?

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I don't know how many copies were pressed but it was available for some time through 2005/6. One thing to note that pressing quality is variable to say the least with many faulty discs produced. I ordered 3 sets from Amazon to put together a flaw free double album. So at the prices asked they are a risky buy especially if seller claims sealed/unplayed. I imagine that most of those who purchased a copy are not going to sell being die hard vinyl fans.

scobb likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Same procedure as always; an album goes out of print and the prices on the web go up. An artist announces comeback gigs, prices for the vinyl go even higher.

Honestly: I wouldn't pay these inflated prices, it's not as if these more recent albums were true rarities. As soon as a reissue comes the price goes down. See "Playing The Angel" by DM. Not so long ago people asked - and sometimes got - over £150 for a copy. Last week the reissue came.

Same with "Aerial". Yes, at the moment there is no reissue on the cards but...is your CD so bad? Bad enough to pay over £100 for the vinyl edition? And I have been wanting "Aerial" BADLY on vinyl for years. Until I went to a fleamarket one Sunday at 8am and...guess what the first album in a box was one guy just put on the table? Because I wasn't alone I had to make an instant choice between "Aerial" and "Demon Days" (Gorillaz) and instinctivly grabbed the first. While I watched someone else take Gorillaz for 15€:( But...hey... I had found "Aerial" for around 20€!!!

With these newer albums the trick is patience. And learning to tolerate CDs in the meantime;)

badsneakers and audiotom like this.
  4. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

I'm sort of I the same boat - I found a barely used copy in great shape for $100 - but it didn't have the booklet. Seller really was clueless about it, but did refund some of my money due to the lack of the booklet. The vinyl has a few annoying pops and ticks, which means I rarely listen to it, going for the CD instead. It's a such a quiet journey overall that the LP noise is too distracting. I like the Japanese CD version best - not a huge difference from the US or UK versions really, but to me it sounds best. Probably placebo effect since I liked the Japanese mini-LP CD reissues from a few years back quite a lot.

Being a collector at heart, I want a new sealed copy that includes the booklet - but at around $300 on eBay these days is just insane for a record that Classicrock rightly pointed out above has known pressing quality issues.

I'm holding out for a reissue.

Evan L and john kelly like this.
  5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The current issue of Record Collector values Demon Days at 100 UK pounds!

6. Neonbeam

I know but I had to decide within one second. Kate or Damon. But wait until "Demon Days" gets a reissue. It will. Has to;)

7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I managed to find a copy recently, with the booklet, in VG+ condition. It does have a few pops here and there but I may go ahead and clean it to see if that helps. Honestly having the artwork and booklet at LP size is wonderful.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Good points. Nowadays there are fewer lps pressed of anything so this point of release to OOP happens a lot quicker than it used to.

9. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

This album needs a quiet vinyl re-release. C'mon Kate! Might be your best album ever!

rixs and Ere like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If I have my dates straight, 2005 was just before the start of the vinyl resurgence, so this might be very rare, especially if many were defective. Pressing runs for pop/rock titles were very low in the early to mid 00's, and most vinyl seemed to come from Europe. There seemed to be almost no interest from the general public, and even audiophile reissues were at a low - thankfully, we had Classic Records, but DCC was gone and there were very few releases from MOFI. It seems everyone started getting interested in vinyl again around 2007/2008?

11. Glad I picked up a copy a few years back for 30UK pounds. One lp has a slight warp but the vinyl plays quietly .

12. 13DoW

13DoW A concoction of conjecture and whimsy

I recently heard a re-broadcast of the 2005 interview she did with BBC R6 to accompany the release, which piqued my interest and when I saw a used copy of the CD at Ameoba I pounced and I really, really love this album. The only downside is that I can't just dip-into it, I have to listen all through (or, at least, through one whole disc). So I am way too late to the party to get a vinyl copy but I would certainly settle for a 24/96 download. I don't know why 50-words is available in that format and Aerial not (?)
    As an aside, now that Rolf Harris is disgraced and imprisoned maybe Kate could re-mix 'An Architect's Dream' and remove him.

Regards
    13DoW

CharlieD likes this.
  13. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

I was looking for her "this woman's works" on vinyl and found a seller on EBay pricing $1000. Well......at least I have that set on CD. I better quit while I'm ahead.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well, there'd be MORE copies pressed now than in 2005-2006 ... it's just that there are a hell of a lot more people buying the copies that are pressed!

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Except for audiophile pressings, I can't recall actually playing much of the vinyl I bought during those years. I can't remember ever playing my Aerial vinyl, but I see that it is not sealed. Maybe it didn't come sealed - I think it came in a resealable sleeve? Did others get a shrink wrapped copy? Was the sticker adhered to the shrink?

16. Neonbeam

I bought mine second hand and the sticker is there. In fact I've never seen a vinyl copy without sticker so it must have been on the sleeve.

Was this sealed? If I remember correctly this was a time when mostly US vinyl was sealed while UK and domestic pressings often weren't. So if you didn't buy it from a huge chain - that automatically seal everything - I guess "Aerial" was not sealed.

17. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

I'm waiting patiently for that day :)

APH likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

It's going to come:)

19. Neonbeam

The runs certainly were smaller then but to be honest the situation wasn't different from today. New records came out and sat in shops:) It is not as if the vinyl of "Aerial", "Demon Days", "Felt Mountain" or "Cole's Corner" flew from the shelves. All these now expensive albums sat in the stores for months, even years. The latter two I bought new around 2008/9 for 15, 16€ each. And I could have bought the first two too but then I wasn't interested. Partly because I saw these albums all the time.

What definitely was different then is the situation regarding used stuff. The hype hadn't started and it was easy to get the more recent stuff for a tenner. The 90's albums I found in that period...wow. But those days are over:(

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I picked up a copy in my hand several times and put it back looking a the price. I'd certainly pay that price now and then some, but I'm a bigger Kate fan today than I was then.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Maybe I'll give it a listen tonight. If it's as noisy as the US pressing of 50 Words for Snow, I'll be very disappointed. That was awful - I ended up having to buy the EU press, which sounds fantastic.

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We own a mint copy of This Woman's Work. What would be a fair price for it?

23. Neonbeam

The prices are all over the map. There are a lot of overpriced copies on the web - and some people go for them - but the average price this goes for in auctions - according to Popsike - is 173$. Of course most professional dealers would NOT give it away for that;) The thing with this box is that artwork aside the only reason to buy it are the two b-sides compilations. The albums can be bought much cheaper as used originals.

24. I'll have to give my vinyl copy of Aerial a spin later. It's been years, but I don't recall it being noisy. Here's hoping that's the case.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I listened to my Aerial vinyl this evening; I had never listened to it, as I bought it at a time when I wasn't listening to vinyl and I remember there were problems with vinyl quality.

Long story short - my copy is practically perfect. There is almost no noise; the quiet passages in "A Sky of Honey" are very quiet. Overall, it's a great sounding album; I have no idea if it's digitally sourced, but it sounds quite a bit better than my CD copy and I feel like I've rediscovered the album. The discs are flat with Chris Bellman's initials in the matrix. I have no idea where they were pressed, but the jacket and labels say 'printed in the EU'.

Johnny Vinyl and Ere like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.