Which music streaming service do you use?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I use X-box Music / Zune pass. I have it on my Win8.1 tablet and iPhone. Downloaded the new Jenny Lewis, connected to car stereo USB and listened while driving down 280 to work....then w/headphones from iphone on plane.

I get 10 free mp3's per month which my wife likes for use on ipod at gym, etc. I also use them for the download only bonus tracks like Rod Stewart expanded editions w/download only bonus tracks.

I started with a high capacity ZUNE and USB connection to SYNC in car.

Skydogg likes this.
  2. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

I use Qobuz and WiMP. They are based in France and Sweden respectively. Both offer loss less FLAC music streaming at 16 bits 44.1 kHz. They also offer ALAC for WiMP and both offer MP3 music streaming. If you're a US Citizen in the United States of America, then you will need a VPN service provider to connect to them. They serve the European and Scandinavian countries. WiMP offers 20 million tracks. Qobuz is my preferred choice because it's more widely available in more countries. Qobuz also offers a FLAC loss less 16 bit 44.1 kHz classical music streaming service. They base their prices on the Euro Dollar. You'll need to get an up to date Euro to US Dollar convertor to figure out the price. For me, it costs $30 USD for Qobuz per month and the same for WiMP. Not many Americans have heard about either one so I thought to offer this post.

3. contium

contium Forum Resident

Other: Google Play All Access, Soundcloud, Mixcloud. Most of the time I stream music from my JRiver Media Center home server to JRiver's Gizmo android app.

Skydogg likes this.
  4. PaulE

PaulE Forum Resident

Yes, you can find and play full albums on Spotify with no issues, but up until very recently the service was heavily playlist based. i.e. you couldn't really set up a 'library' like in ITunes for example. There was no proper Artist>Album> Song hierarchy. This was a much complained about issue which they made some attempt to address with the new 'Your Music' feature which came out a few months ago. It does work a bit better now, but it is still not ideal.

Other apps like Rdio deal with this a lot better. In Rdio you just go to 'Collection' then choose the Artist then choose the album. It then brings up that album with the tracks, review, artwork etc. As I say it is a bit better in Spotify now, but the implementation is still very clumsy. This issue caused lots of people to leave Spotify, based on various posts I read.

Having said that I still subscribe to Spotify as well and do use it sometimes. The kids like the lyrics add on and some of the recommendations are quite good. It really depends on how you use these services I guess. I want to maintain a virtual 'Collection' to supplement my physical CD and vinyl collection.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I use Spotify Premium now.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Would be interesting to start this poll over and see who's using what now that Amazon has entered the arena. The Amazon Cloud thingy is pretty much the only one I ever use.

RonW likes this.
  8. nbakid2000

I've also never had an issue with listening to full albums via Spotify. I guess I must use it differently or something? I never do artist libraries either. I just go in and search for the artist I want and start playing whatever album I see that catches my eye.

octaneTom likes this.
  9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have a Spotify Premium account, but I am testing out Google Play Music. I like being able to upload 20,000 songs from my personal librery. Plus, I just read somewhere that the streaming quality was better than Spotify.

Skydogg likes this.
  10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I'm using Spotify and have tried WiMP HiFi (FLAC streaming) but their UI is crap so I return to Spotify which I just love!

11. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

If I'm doing work at my computer (not walking out to individual workstations), or if I'm at home and it's not a very nice day outside, I turn on Pandora on my iPod. I tried to use Last.fm but I didn't really care for it much. I haven't tried the others. iTunes Radio was okay when iTunes worked.

12. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Rhapsody. And rhapsody to go on my Iphone is pretty awesome.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

+1

The other big change is the shuttering of MOG and the launch of its successor, Beats Music. I transitioned from MOG to Beats because they offered 3 months free to former MOG users, and I'll probably continue. Getting most of what I'd liked about MOG, including lots of excellent classical and jazz (but no more ECM stuff, alas). Also curious to find out what Apple, the new owner of Beats, will bring to the party.

Eyesoftheworld likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Live365.

15. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I want a good streaming player and service but I am way behind. I just don't know how to get started. I am on the PC all week at work and won't go near it at home. Eventually I will figure it all out. Probably from what I learn here.

16. How did you not have Rdio in this list? I think it's a lot bigger than some of the others you included. Anyway, it's what I use. I recently started using Spotify because I heard it streams higher quality. But I keep going back to Rdio because the user interface and design is just so much better.

The Entertainer likes this.
  17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

My streaming needs aren't for specific playlists but genres like jazz. In my market there are no jazz stations so I get them online and listen to whatever station I like. It's just like the old days listening to FM and the quality seems to be about the same with a few high bitrate stations being better.

I've never created an online music library like so many of you. I still play the music I own the old fashioned way - LP's and CD's. When I stream, I let the internet radio station do the programming.

18. mds

mds Forum Resident

None. I heard, but can't verify as fact, that these services are ripping off the artists in terms of their royalties/sweat shop rates that they pay per rights to stream. Another unfortunate effect of streaming is that it retards music sales since it is so easy to just stream.

19. nbakid2000

There's information everywhere on this issue if you Google it.

20. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I've been trying out Spotify lately, but it's really buggy. Apparently there is a 10,000 track limit in your library. Anything you try to save after that won't take.

21. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This is exactly why I use Rdio over Spotify. I have a huge collection organized by artist and then by album. Whenever I come across an album I might want to listen to later, I just add it to my collection. If I had to search for that album before listening to it, chances are I might forget it.

PaulE and The Entertainer like this.
  22. Eyesoftheworld

Eyesoftheworld Active Member

I love rhapsody but I hate the 128k bitrate.

23. mds

mds Forum Resident

I've read about it which is why I brought it up and hope people who stream think about this issue. Not being a musician and therefore no one is streaming my music my information is from the internet and we all know that what we read on the internet is the absolute truth :biglaugh:

24. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I have found RDio to be mt favorite streaming service by far.

25. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Spotify on desktop and Android since it started becoming available less than a month ago here in Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.