Is the Nuggets Box Set from Rhino now out-of-print?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hard Panner, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Back From the Grave
    Teenage Shutdown
    Garage Beat '66
    Ace Records/Big Beat - lots of garage goodies

That ought to keep you busy for awhile... :cool:

GlassOnion likes this.
  2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

stereoptic likes this.
  3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I've been buying up new copies of Rhino cd's and box sets like crazy the past couple years and watching stuff go out of print and the prices going up. Lots of great cross-licensed compilations. I look at the rear insert and count 9 or 10 or 11 record companies that Rhino licensed from for single cd various artist comps and it blows my mind! I think "Nobody will ever be able to do this again." I'm glad I have almost everything I want now. I thought the first Nuggets and the first two Doo Wop boxes would stay in print forever, but I saw them go out of print and said farewell to the great Rhino Records.

4. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

Without even seeing whats on it.just reading theres an ace one,makes me want it
    btw is ace all 60s? the other ones too?
    n/m i seen that ace has big beat is a label of a bunch of diff groups etc..ones that i want too lol
    i assume the others are a bunch of volumes of stufff?

5. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz Thread Starter

Wow! Yes, another one OOP! I bought 'Loud, Fast and Out of Control' when it came out but was disappointed when they issued 'Rockin' Bones' as there seemed to be a lot of crossover (though, LFOOC is not a strictly Rockabilly box set as RB was) - so I passed on Rockin Bones then. Though, now, I may have to get Rockin' Bones as it is still available from Amazon. Check it out, folks!
    http://www.amazon.com/Loud-Fast-Out-Control-Sounds/dp/B00000IQ17/

http://www.amazon.com/Rockin-Bones-1950s-Punk-Rockabilly/dp/B000FOQ0JG/

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As someone else noted, these careful heavily cross-licensed boxes are a thing of the past. Usually, the licenses are for a limited amount of time and financially it makes no sense for Rhino to try and extend them at this point. In addition, licenses for downloads are negotiated separately, and if there's significant cross-licensing, a complete download often doesn't exist (legitimately).

In terms of the packaging/liners/pictures, the San Francisco book is probably unbeatable. Stunningly well done.

7. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Yeah I just got Los Nuggetz and have been digging it. You have to be in the mood for some sideways takes on some classics 60's tunes. Most of it is very garage, I had expected more South American psychedelia like Chicha Libre, but still much to enjoy. I also enjoy Surf Age Nuggets. The same company also gave two other great boxes The Pop Culture Box Set and The Complete Five Royales, all highly recommended.

8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Rockin' Bones was gone and about a year ago came back in stock on Amazon and third party sellers got them too. A bunch must have been found somewhere because I very much doubt there was a repress on these boxes. Grab them while you can because they will be gone again.

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Although thy're usually worth the high prices, they're out of some folks' budget range. I have Nuggets, the Pet Sounds Sessions, The Jack Kerouac Collection, Connie Francis' Souvenirs, and Johnny Cash's Unearthed because I received them as Christmas presents. I got Jefferson Airplane Loves You, The Beat Generation, Joan Baez's Rare, Live, and Classic, The Byrds box set (the out-of-print black one which was superseded by the red one), the Beach Boys' Good Vibrations, and The Buck Owens Collection used at significantly lower than their list prices. I got the Bee Gees' Tales or the Brothers Gibb (cassette version) as a $12.99 cut-out. I did manage to splurge for the Smile Sessions (most expensive one of all).

eelkiller likes this.
  10. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

I bought a used Nuggets 1 box set off E-bay a couple of years ago. Opened it and examined the contents, the box itself was in great shape, all 4 CD's were there and the booklet was like new. Satisfied I put it away and didn't get around to playing any of the discs until several weeks later. Played disc 1, perfect. Put in disc 2 and none of the songs matched the song list on the CD jacket. My first thought was maybe the disc was in the wrong case. Look over the song lists from discs 3 - 4, none of them match what I'm hearing either. Eject disc and look it over and it's disc 2 from the Nuggets 2 box. *sigh* Appearance wise it didn't look much different so I didn't notice when I first looked them over. Didn't bother contacting the seller since to much time had passed. Obtained the correct disc eventually from another source so all is well. I never heard of 90% of the songs before so it was fun hearing all of these for the first time, definitely worthy of all the praise it receives. Children of Nuggets is the next one on my radar....

11. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

12. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

The entire LA Nuggets set as well as most of the individual tracks are available for download at this site at least for Canadians:

http://ca.7digital.com/

Their search function is not the best and I got to the album listing by typing in "Yellow Balloon".

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've got the single disk Los Nuggetz and Surf Age Nuggets just to test the waters so to speak. I wish that Rhino would re-release the Cowabunga box, even if they don't reproduce the beautiful package.

John Fell likes this.
  14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Ace's descriptions let you know the era of the material - the garage stuff is usually on Big Beat. Highly recommended are Psycho-Sonic (a comp of The Sonics that tells their story; you can buy the individual albums later) http://acerecords.co.uk/features/artist-profiles/the-sonics and Uptight Tonight (a V/A set with the killer title song and the absolute monster Boy What'll You Do Then): http://acerecords.co.uk/uptight-tonight-the-ultimate-60s-garage-collection

Ace also has discs that use the name Nuggets, but aren't directly related to the Elektra/Sire/Rhino sets. They focus on labels or regions in California: http://acerecords.co.uk/search?query=nuggets

The Back From the Grave and Teenage Shutdown sets get into the really obscure stuff - if you like Nuggets, you'll probably like those. Almost all the songs are very carefully done needle drops, the liners fill in the ultra obscure band info. After a long hiatus, there are several new sets coming out soon. They're available on lp and cd - the cds are generous 30 trackers: http://www.cryptrecords.com/

Garage Beat '66 is a series from Sundazed that comes from tape sources, nice liners - I keep hoping Bob Irwin will release some more of these down the road: http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=679 Volume 1 is a great place to start...

15. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

On the SanFrancisco Nuggets, is Down On Me by Big Brother the original single version with double tracked vocals by Janis or the album version?? Does anyone know?

16. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

It's a live version recorded in Detroit 2/68.

Dee Zee likes this.
  17. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Missed that one completely. Yes, that album is available as a download on Amazon as well. Forty-four of the hundred tracks are only available as an album purchase. Also, there is 20 track version of SF Nuggets available as a download. I believe these are only tracks Warners Music holds the rights to.

18. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

From "Joplin in Concert."

Dee Zee likes this.
  19. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Thanks for the info on the Big Brother song guys

20. chodad

chodad Hodad

Why is the titled Los Nuggetz thread closed???

Anyhow, I just got that set and noticed the volume dropping on disc one on tracks 13, 14, 15 and then returning to normal. Has anyone else have this problem? This is the only disc I've played so far.

21. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Nuggets II is the best of them, but it's not as good as:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.