lame mp3 encoder and Mono switch set

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by onlysleeping, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed that lame mp3 encoder has a switch for 'mono'. Has anyone used this? I'm thinking of ripping the AF release of Pet Sounds using both the mono and stereo flag to see if there is any difference.

And of course, when I receive the mono Beatles set, I want to know if one method is better than another. Any experience / suggestions?

2. TaterBones

TaterBones Active Member

I've done it via foobar on mono recordings and audiobooks (FLACs), but haven't tried any stereo to mono fold-downs on music files. It was easy to do & they sounded fine to me. You could try it some different ways then use foobar's ABX utility to see what sounds better to you.

3. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

It depends on the source, but most “mono” music today on CD is actually “dual-mono” or the same signal on both channels. If you use the mono switch in Lame, you will get a single channel file at roughly ½ the size of the dual-channel mono file and that is all.

4. TaterBones

TaterBones Active Member

That's the primary reason I use it with music files that were originally mono & audiobooks.

5. Eyesoftheworld

Eyesoftheworld Active Member

Some of the CDs in that box set have both mono and stereo mixes. Help and Rubber Soul I think.

6. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Leave it in stereo. LAME will figure out if it's mono and reduce the bitrate accordingly. This is assuming you use the recommended VBR modes.

7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

If you're a CBR'r like me then you do which how I did help and Rubber Soul from the mono box the first 14 as mono, the remainder in stereo. I have sometimes used it to re mono high-low fake stereo if I hadn't a better source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.