How much do you think needs to be put into Speakers of a Stereo system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by STBob, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

There really is no magic formula.

Take me for example. My speakers barely cost $1500.00 yet my system is worth around $20k and it's a pretty darn good synergy. I hear some things here that I don't hear on systems that cost far more.

Brother_Rael, Sneaky Pete and bhazen like this.
  2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

If your goal is to make a product that is reliable, cool running, stable under load with decent technical specs then you don't have too many options in the SS world. There are only a few well known proven amp topologies. And the more you start mucking with them the more you make them unstable, unreliable, and objectively under performing.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I agree, to a point. I have cheap PSB speakers (alpha B1) and a cheap Marantz receiver (SR4023) and a cheap Oppo 83 Special Edition playing right now, so with that system I would say approx. 50% is source and 30% amp 15% speakers and 5% cables (Audioquest throughout). Oh, but the synergy is so fine. Right now I am jamming some live Sam Rivers Orchestra and it just sounds so musical and engaging.

Sneaky Pete and bhazen like this.
  4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Currently, my approximate system percentages by value are as follows:

Speakers 56%
    Amp 21%
    Cables and Power 9%
    Universal Player 8%
    Rack 4%
    Room Treatments 2%

I am content with this allocation of my budget.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The conventional wisdom is spend the most at both ends of the chain. Garbage in garbage out applies to audio too. A nice front end gets the most from the source and good speakers reproduce what was extracted to begin with.

Doug is right it is really about synergy more that arriving at a formula for spending on each component.

Just don't forget to have fun and enjoy the music.

apesfan, PROG U.K. and Shiver like this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I tend to doubt that serious hi-end synergy is fair to expect from a beginner. I know I'd need some extensive experience in order to feel that I can aim for that.

Rather, I'd think that there are some more basic rules of thumb to be discussed. Or perhaps common mistakes to be avoided.

PROG U.K. and STBob like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

I agree with this, especially your last sentence. That being said, my source component had an MSRP 3 times my speakers.

But it is the flavor of the speakers that set the tone. They allow the source to strut its stuff. The only disagreement I would have is concerning the amp. Once you have a good source and are intimately familiar with your speakers, you will hear much more difference in amps.

Good luck with the search...oh yeah, and if you want to try out a pair of Magnepans, I have a nice pair...

8. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Just did the math on mine, but I bought everything used except the speakers :

Speakers - 58%
    TT - 12.5%
    Cartridge - 7%
    Integrated Amp - 12.5%
    Phono Preamp - 8.5%
    Cables/speaker wire - around 1-2%

I'd say this is about what I'd tell someone - 50% or more on the speakers, 50 or less% on everything else. Speakers, without a doubt, made the hugest improvement in my current system.

norman_frappe likes this.
  9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Looks about right when dividing up $100k :winkgrin:

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Amazing how little the room matters to many. Amazing.

11. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Well, the OP said:
    "I was thinking if someone were to ask me what percentage they should spend on what when setting up a new vinyl system what would I tell them?"

If someone is just starting out in vinyl, I don't think their first priority is going to be room treatments...nor should it be. Let's get them hooked on analog first, then worry about the rest later.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. STBob

STBob Active Member Thread Starter

Well people are more or less stuck with the room. I was not asking people to sell a room to someone. Could you give an example on how the room would play into this? ie. My kef speakers, I don't think I would tell anyone "don't get these because you have a bad room.

I think the room and placement can be adjusted after the purchase. Maybe I am missing something here.

therockman and BrokenByAudio like this.
  13. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You're not. The person you're responding to is blissfully unaware of the realities that most people deal with when it comes to audio gear in the home.

norman_frappe and bluemooze like this.
  14. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Technics built some of the best tt's out there. Sorry....but would not give up my 37 yr old vintage Technics deck for either one of those.

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Well, I try and be polite to everyone and you are a new member.

16. STBob

Go ahead, don't be afraid, I have Rhino hide.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

How much you got?

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Best to look at this in terms of amp/speaker combos. After that, you're on your own. But first, make sure you're listening to speakers via an amplifier with some synergy with the speaker.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. STBob

I am not even sure what that means. Synergy with a speaker. Amplifiers don't know what they are driving and speakers don't know what kind of amp is driving them.

norman_frappe and octaneTom like this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Right, but your ears will no what there hearing.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

They might not know but if you're listening carefully, you will.

By way of example—my a/d/s L400e's. They sound much better with my SAE two amp than with any other amp in the house and there's 4 other amps in use right now.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  22. STBob

Well i can't think of the last time I listened to music and thought "hmm that amplifier really has synergy with those speakers"

If I walked into a store and asked for a amplifier that had synergy with my home speakers they might look at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears :). I am sure some amplifiers are better than others but have not run into anyone that wanted to Match an amp to my speakers.

tim185 likes this.
  23. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Percentages change rapidly between purchases of used gear and new gear.

My speakers are a very small part of the expense, but I was lucky to find used mint tannoy speakers cheap.
    Something new and comparable might have cost 10 times more easily.

If you always buy something that you enjoy, you *might* be able to staunch the bleeding of dollars.
    When in doubt, trust your ears. They'll tell you the truth if you give them the chance.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Not sure if synergy is the right word, but speakers and amps do "interact" for lack of a better word. Dampening factor, output/VS impedance, the load the speakers present to the amp, just to mention a few things that come into play with the speaker/amp interaction. Some amps are bright and analytical, like Adcom, or some are a bit dark, like older tube amps, care needs to be taken to insure the amp and speakers compliment each other. This is not an unusual concept.

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I know your new at this, BUT JEEPERS. :doh:

I don't know a single audiophile/music lover that doesn't match components, even newbies know about such things.

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.