Pitchfork: Top 200 Songs 2010-2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

nbakid2000, I liked the Electric Youth track you listed about as much as the Tokyo Police Club. That's seven of ten. Now I'm off to try some of the ten from the poster who followed your list with ten of his own ... !

nbakid2000 likes this.
  2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Cool, glad I'm not the only one who knows her.

Their newest album "Somewhere Else" is I think their best yet, and features some nice collaborations including Electric Youth, and remixes by Mitch Murder. Check out these songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlLWfzbmMWs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4extuOZBqMM

3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Alright, the Deluxe is on Spotify. That is going into the list for tomorrow's listening. :) Thanks for the recommendation!

Lucidae likes this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

aside from Kanye West and Drake, I don't think I've heard of a single artist off that list

5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Sure, no problem. I have a particular fondness for female electro pop, but these guys are my absolute favorite...

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

That is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather see a list that makes me curious about something I am not familiar with, than re-affirming my own listening habits.

7. nbakid2000

OK, that's on my list now. I haven't heard that. I'm a sucker for anything electro-pop. Have you heard Tesla Boy?

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I haven't, but I'm watching some videos now. Nice synth beats... a bit similar to Miami Horror.

9. nbakid2000

Here's the thing about Tesla Boy --- great songs, but they go on too long. They have no self-editing power.

Check these guys out --- you may like them too. The chick singer is a guest on 2 or 3 songs. Too bad she's not a full time member.

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Not bad, I do enjoy her voice.

Here's another for you...

11. John54

John54 Senior Member

Okay, Lucidae, it's your turn!
    What, is it 1970 already? I could have heard either of these on CHUM-FM back in the day. I should point out that I neither particularly like nor dislike either of them.

I'd guess you like classic rock of the early '70s, with some blues (Taylor) mixed in. Except that ...
    These are more '80s-style again. The first one is kinda brassy, but that decade had its share of those too, I'm thinking of Oingo Boingo and a couple of others whose name escapes me.

The Jezabels had really nice-sounding guitar parts in the intro and choruses but not so much on the verses. You could say that the parts I disliked sucked (a bit) and the parts I liked ruled, which (if I'm not mistaken, since I have never actually seen the show) is a Beavis and Butthead critique.

The rest of them are also basically '80s-style synthpop, and I like them a little more than nbakid2000's list. But the only one I actually gave a "like" to was Nocturne by Wild Nothing.

Since digging into all this, I've been thinking of the following song as a classic example of very good '80s synthpop, which you both (nbakid2000 and Lucidae) might like, assuming you're not already familiar with it. There are hundreds of others like it I suppose, but I chose Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory:

Retro Hound, Lucidae and nbakid2000 like this.
  12. nbakid2000

Her first album is really good! The single she came out with for the first album sucked IMO and I don't know if the second album has got released yet.

Here's something a little more unusual for you:

13. nbakid2000

Yep, familiar with that. Great song choice. :)

14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yeah, "Hands" really hooked me. Which single did you mean? Her second album "Nocturnes" was released last year, great followup. Here's one of the songs from it...

15. nbakid2000

This turned me off so much I didn't even investigate/follow the second album's release:

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yeah haha, part of the reason I like those artists is because they're 70's throwbacks. ;)

If you sorta liked that Jezabels song, check out this one, it's my favorite of theirs:

A couple more songs from Wild Nothing that are really good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm636VSQXUU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD8Reb-zHXA

thebunk and nbakid2000 like this.
  17. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Sorry it's taken so long, but I had to investigate some songs. I had ideas of which artists I like, but I usually listen to albums.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Stranger to my Happiness
    Charles Bradley - No Time For Dreaming
    Tom Petty - All You Can Carry
    Benjamin Booker - Have you seen my Son?
    Gary Clark, JR. - Bright Lights
    Ruthie Foster - Set Fire to the Rain
    St. Paul and the Broken Bones -Call Me
    London Grammar - Strong
    Jason Isbell - Cover Me Up

One thing I find interesting of so much of what's been posted is how synthetic it all sounds. I read several places where 1980s music gets knocked for the heavy synthesizer sound, but in 10-20 years this current music will sound every bit as dated. Not what I posted of course! That stuff is timeless!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

what's wrong with something sounding dated? as long as the songs themselves are good...

zen likes this.
  19. woody

woody Forum Resident

Going just on bands I discovered wholly through Pitchfork, a top ten lp list for the start of this decade (this leaves out records by Wilco, Wild Flag, Bob Mould, Superchunk and tons of others I may rate more highly as well as a top ten list that could be completely filled with Ty Segall and Thee Oh Sees releases):

Morgan Delt- Morgan Delt
    Thee Oh Sees- Castlemania
    Phosphorescent- Muchado
    Mikal Cronin- MCII
    Herzog- Boys
    Ty Segall- Melted
    Mind Spiders- Meltdown
    Japandroids- Celebration Rock
    Allah Las- Allah Las
    Girl Talk- All Day

mschrist and nbakid2000 like this.
  20. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

That's what I say! I love 80s music.

My comment was more directed at all those who crap on 80s music but are all hip to today's sound, which is even more fake sounding. I mean I listened to about 30 or 40 of the songs people posted in this thread (including the OP), and you can't hear a real instrument in almost any of them. Drum machine and a synth, and heavily processed voices. Even if the singer was outstanding, you'd never know it. For example, I heard Jazmine Sullivan on this NPR thing where it was just her and a guitar. http://www.npr.org/event/music/339606993/jazmine-sullivan-fades-a-new-orleans-barber-shop Beautiful! So I look her up on Spotify and all the songs are processed cheese. You can't even tell she's a great singer!

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Pitchfork has slowly drifted into covering more and more hip-hop and straight pop, which I can't really take seriously. It'd be like Source magazine writing about "indie rock." I have nothing against those genres, they're just not my thing and they feel like wasted space on Pitchfork.

22. The singles are mostly pretty alien to me, but I have 8 of the top 20 albums so I guess I'm still reasonably hip.

23. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

I started making a playlist of the songs from this list, and when it was all said and done, I only had 46 songs. Geez.

24. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

I wouldn't put any of those ten songs on my top ten list but, I would think if every one of us made our own list there would only be handful of songs in common. I guess that's just a factor of the insanely wide array of music coming out today, and I think that's a great thing. There really is something for everyone right now and its all much easier to access than years past. My List would be:

Vampire Weekend - "Hanna Hunt" - 2013
    Grizzly Bear - "Sleeping Ute" - 2012
    The Lonely Wild - "Buried in the Murder" - 2013
    Typhoon - "CPR/Claws pt. 2" - 2010
    Mansions - "Dig Up the Dead" - 2011
    Bon Iver - "Towers" - 2011
    Beirut - "Goshen" - 2011
    Local Natives - "Airplanes" - 2010
    Band of Horses - "Laredo" - 2010
    Shakey Graves - "Roll the Bones" - 2013

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    mschrist, Marko L. and nbakid2000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.