Anyone a huge fan of Yes' "Going For the One"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by varispeed, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Turn Of The Century and Awaken are perfect songs with many layers of beauty and musical richness :thumbsup:

audiotom likes this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Didn't blow me away when I bought it as a new release. Left it by the wayside for decades. Within the last 6 months I just cannot get enough of it. Amazing!

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I love every song on 'Going For The One', except for the title track, which I loathe.

Going For The 4/5, perhaps.

--Geoff

sbeck201 likes this.
  4. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Don't loathe Going For The One but it's my least favourite track on the album; might like it more if it was shorter.

5. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I am a HUUUGE fan now. I wasn't when I was a teenager for some inexplicable reason... I loved Tales, CTTE, you name, but of GFTO I liked the eponymous track only. It was only when I was 16 that I finally understood how marvelously great this album is.

6. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Upon it's release I remember GFTO being touted as a return to form for Yes. Perhaps because of Rick's return? But at this point it seems his role was greatly diminished with the exception of Awaken (unlike Fragile or CTTE that could not have existed without him). I've always been somewhat disappointed with it and it has not grown on me over the years (unlike Tormato which I now enjoy).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  7. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Tremendous record! I think the HDtracks version sounds nice, although sonically it is not one of the better Yes albums. I was luck enough to see them perform the album in its entirety recently and it was epic ;-)

audiotom likes this.
  8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Talk about ressurecting an old thread!

It's the last Yes album I bought before they went dark in my world - I stopped buying Yes albums after this one.

audiotom likes this.
  9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I have a soft spot in my heart for this one. This was the first Yes album that came out after I got old enough to really start appreciating classic rock way back when. To this day, I still think it holds up very well even vs TYA, Fragile, and CTTE.

10. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

No filler on this one and perhaps their best album.
    The last Yes album that I have any interest in.

11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i like it...but i prefer relayer and tales.
    i still havnt bought gfto...probably wont.

12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Turn of the century and awaken are my two favorite yes songs
    This album is in constant rotation for me

Something magical in that Swiss air

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree, Awaken is one of their best.
    You might find this interesting from the Yes ABA thread.

27. Awaken Song Breakdown

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  14. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Actually, I remember visiting my family in Los Angeles when it came out....there was a huge Tower Records on the first floor of Century City (Which is on the cover of GFTO)...and I bought it for my brother...Cool times!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I believe it's a stand mounted lap steel that Howe usually plays. David Gilmour also uses this extensively.

16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love the title track with its unrelenting steel guitar courtesy of Mr. Howe. "Awaken" is one of their best "epic" songs. The other tunes are just okay.

17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It's actually nothing like Fragile is it? Fragile has a few great tracks and little indulgent showpieces for each individual member.....GFTO is pretty much song based from start to finish and as a result is a better album........the fact they might have done solo based stuff in the sessions is irrelevant as they released an album with next to no filler...

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think the way I look at it is that it is one of their more consistent albums but arguably earlier albums may have tracks that surpass most of GFTO-it is up there with their best...Edge is still their best and maybe these days I would put The Yes Album before GFTO but GFTO would be third.....I actually love Relayer but that is so unique it sort of stands alone....

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I would do without Turn of the Century or Wonderous Stories. Parallels is pretty good but the organ is ponderous and it overall sounds like a leftover from Quire's solo project. Title track is awesome and Awaken is epic, but not on the level of the cuts from CTTE.

I'd say it's about on a part with Relayer and significantly worse that TYA, Fragile and CTTE.
    The only thing subsequent I like as well is Drama

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.