Roger Waters The Wall Live - Official Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident

I'm with you as far as shots/angles to keep in, etc., but this is a Pink Floyd live DVD. Those two worked on polishing the PULSE DVD set for years. I think they would want very much to have input into the final product, particularly the mix, which is bound to be contentious as the Is There Anybody Out There? set was.

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Perhaps. But things have mellowed considerably between them since that release.

3. Finally!!
    Really looking forward to this one!

4. pinkpotato

pinkpotato Forum Resident

How was it contentious?

5. botley

botley Forum Resident

The Floyd camp hired Storm Thorgerson to design the album artwork and deluxe packaging, against Waters' wishes (you'll notice that his whimsical writings and sketches that adorn the other two Immersion box sets' cards & coasters do not appear in The Wall's). Guthrie's remix also took several tries to meet with everyone's satisfaction.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

everything is awesome!

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I'd like to be able to actually watch this thing, but concert videos these days are so ADD they're nauseating.

8. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

And the original is horribly overrated to begin with.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Gilmour has said that he got money from the Berlin show and was privy to some sales/viewership figures.

Gilmour may still be make a bit of money for each Wall live performance due to a couple co-writes.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yes all songwriters get royalties for any performance or sales of recordings or videos

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I wasn't always 100% sure if Gilmour lost them in the band "divorce" or not.

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I'm curious as to how much documentary vs. concert film this turns out to be. Personally, I'd like a documentary (or smaller documentaries covering various aspects) as a companion to a full on concert video. We shall see.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  13. rontoon

From AFG:
    On twitter someone asked Sean Evans (@deadskinboy) :
    Is this a concert film or documentary?

His answer was: 'concert with a twist'

14. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

The video(s) that have been making the bootleg circuit for years are, I'm pretty sure, VHS camera recordings never intended for public release. I believe they were just intended for band and/or filmmakers use. As others have mentioned, I believe this was New York. I think the stuff that's leaked is also an umpteenth generation VHS dub, so it does look pretty crappy. I recall reading that Waters was originally furious that a copy got out, but then he saw how crappy the bootleg was, and decided he didn't care...

The Alan Parker stuff was on film and was originally intended for the Wall movie. I *believe* these had more elaborate camera setups, and potentially different stage lighting for film. For years it was claimed that very little of this existed in a releasable format. More recently, there have been stories that the footage is better than orignally suggested, though it hasn't been clear to me if they found better film (as someone in this thread suggested), or if they released that some of the VHS stuff isn't so bad after all.

Also, the legalities around a music video release are a bit complicated. I recall, for example, reading that as a songwriter, Waters needed to approve the PULSE release. That being said, and I claim no inside knowledge as some do, but I can't imagine anyone would actually block release of this, though as others have mentioned, I could imagine them wanting to approve it. For what it's worth, I see Gilmour looking at it as "Roger's baby" and not being too obstinate in any case.

15. rontoon

There are 2 shows. One from Nassau Coliseum, NY (which was shot by 2 cameras and is very dark and murky) and the other was a multi-camera video shot at Earl's Court from August 1980.

This is true. And film handled the lighting much better than video cameras back then.

I thought I was pretty clear about this. I wrote that when Steve O'Rourke (the band's long-time manager) passed away a few years ago several reels of film (shot by Alan Parker) were found that more than covered the entire concert.

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I really hope this doesn't mean something similar to the theatrical version of Peter Gabriel's Back to Front, where they keep interrupting the concert footage with interviews.

dlokazip, Billy Infinity and rontoon like this.
  17. ProgDave74

You were pretty clear in this claim, though I have not seen this elsewhere. What is your source for this information?

18. rontoon

Interview with Roger right before the Wall tour started. I think it was Mojo, December 2009.

http://www.mojo4music.com/2420/mojo-issue-193-december-2009/

After he mentioned discovering the new film reels (he assumed the cameras stopped rolling after Hey You) he talked about how great the footage looked once it was transferred and color corrected. He also made a comment that he was surprised to find how some of it was quite moving and also mentioned that he'd like to release it.

I'll try to find the article and post the quotes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    coffeetime likes this.
  19. ProgDave74

Cool. I remember reading something like this, but was under the impression they only found a few more songs. Hopefully they do have the whole show, and will release it. Even if they are missing a couple of songs, I believe they should release it, using the VHS footage if they have to to fill in the blanks. This was too historic of a show to not have available in whatever quality they have.

That said...I do think it should be separate from the release from the current tour. The current tour was also historic and each deserves its own release with appropriate attention.

coffeetime likes this.
  20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Does anyone know if "Comfortably Numb" will be the version featuring the guest appearance that Dave Gilmour?

21. rontoon

It's not missing any songs and they would never intercut the video footage with the rest of the 35mm film footage. Interview transcription forthcoming...

22. rontoon

From MOJO (December 2009)
    How much fun - and pain - was there in revisiting yourself, as Pink, when Floyd first performed The Wall, in Los Angeles andNew York in 1980?
    It's a funny thing you should ask me that. Over the last several months, I have discovered a whole load of new footage of The Wall shows. When we were making the movie, we shot a number of songs in 35mm. We were talking about using bits of the show in the film. I knew we had a few things in the can from the shows (in 1981). What I didn't know was that the guys who shot those things, they thought, "Sod it. We've got the cameras here. Nobody seems to be bothered or talking to each other. Why don't we just shoot it all?" And they did. I've been editing it, and it's fascinating for me to look at, to see what the performances were actually like. It's a bit like home movies - they are only interesting to people that are in them (laughs). What's compelling about it is the performances are authentic and deeply moving. I keep asking the guys who have been editing it with me, "Am I being narcissistic?" They say, "No you're not, it's moving."

NunoBento, snkcube, tedhead and 2 others like this.
  23. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

Conventional wisdom says it will be an extra on the Blu-Ray or DVD.

24. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Rumor is they hired Bob Geldof to shoot some new scenes as Pink and will interlude them throughout the songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.