I'm gonna stay with CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have vinyl & CD. I get a great sound from both. It sounds clean & open from both sources

The only advantage to me personally as far as computer audio is concerned is if I had another home & wished to take my music with me. If space became a concern perhaps (Lucky for me I don't have the storage problem or my collection)

Very true people are thinking about the future but I could always buy a new or second cd player & connect it to a DAC

Whatever top flight Digital there is out there I could obtain an even better sound from upgrading my arm or cartridge .

It might be on the way out but I'm sticking with it . I like the sound & the fact I can hold what I own

Any one else feel the same way?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Welcome to the forum! You'll find there are no strong opinions on this subject here - people show no affiliations to various formats... :laugh:

athensdrums, scobb, RomanZ and 17 others like this.
  3. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I don't want to disagree with The Good Guy.

4. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

You cant, the format is dying each day.

5. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

They said vinyl was dead too.

6. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I have well over 3,000 CDs. And I like them. And I don't have to be connected to the internet to listen to them. Or worry about hard drive crashes.

Ergonomically, I find, when I do dally with iTunes or Spotify, that a computer interface simply doesn't recreate my relationship to my collection, which often involves not knowing what I want to hear next. If I know what I want to hear, Spotify is great. But more often, my selection method is to stand in front of one of my racks and look at spines until something leaps out at me.

So, yeah, CDs for me for the foreseeable future.

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Congratulations(?) on your choice, and welcome to the forum :wave:

8. Fabian777

Fabian777 Member

I love vinyl but the Inner Distortion Groove makes me crazy...

RomanZ, Da Commish, Linolad and 8 others like this.
  9. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

CD isn't going anywhere for the time being, its still the largest medium by far for selling physical music. Do people actually think vinyl will continue and CD will stop being produced ? CD still outsells vinyl by a huge margin. You can't look at the upsurge in vinyl sales and straight line that trend, they did the same thing with server demand in 2000 and said Sun microsystems would be selling at a multiple in a few years, the company doesnt exist anymore. If anything I see CD being replaced by DVD or Blueray audio as it can handle hi-res which I see as the next growth market. Its just a matter of pricing at this point.

Richard Tabor, Curveboy and wilejoe like this.
  10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Ask Apple and Sony even the HMV guy....

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

There are and will be zillions of used/old CDs.

I agree 100%.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Right on!

JimC likes this.
  13. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Can't see where you would get an argument here out of that opinion.

I look at digital the same way I used to view casssettes...a recording medium that I can use to take my music with me. But I do take advantage of the convenience. Digital is fun to play with.

:wave: and welcome to the Forum.

14. misko

misko Forum Resident

I like CDs just as I like real books and not digital readers. I enjoy the setting of a library where I can go to my shelves and select a disc and listen, read the liner notes and take in the photos .

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I don't care about format. I just want to listen to the music I like.

krisbee, wayneklein and nbakid2000 like this.
  16. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I think thats the opinion that has allowed the decline in fidelity to be accepted by the masses.

jsayers, Ash76 and SoporJoe like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've been a CD guy since 1985 and have never regretted it. I've thought about getting a new turntable to do some needledrops of material not out on CD, and looking through threads about vinyl and turntables reminds me why I was happy to give up on vinyl in the first place.

At its best, I believe vinyl sounds great, but damn, there's so much work involved in getting it to that point! All the threads about TT modifications and upgrades and inspecting records and cleaning them and on and on and on - it's exhausting!

Even a beat-up CD usually sounds the same as a pristine one, and I don't have to buy an expensive machine to clean/dust it before I play it. Vinyl's such a care-intensive format that it seems exhausting!

rock76, JDeanB, DrAftershave and 17 others like this.
  18. GRC

GRC Senior Member

Yeah - but with CDs you don't get that album cover smell - especially old ones........that musty smell..............I love it.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

All things will pass.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I don't disagree with you.

I used to hold up a portable cassette recorder to an AM radio to get the music I liked.
    I moved onto vinyl records (mostly poorly pressed) played on a crappy stereo purchased from a discount store.
    I moved to prerecorded cassette tapes played on a boombox.
    I moved to CDs played on the cheapest CD player I could buy (and that I could play in my car).
    I moved to MP3s or other digital formats that I could put on my iPod.

I can't say that any of those formats have stopped me from fully liking the music I like.

Scopitone, GetHappy!! and No Static like this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The OP isn't talking about CD vs. vinyl, he's actually talking about physical formats vs. non-physical formats.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I know but I'm making a relative comparison vs. vinyl concerning its viability as a continued physical medium.

23. dkmonroe

We've already had a lengthy recent thread arguing just that topic. Just sayin'.

24. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Ok, I won't make any logical extensions pertaining to the topic going forward.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. dkmonroe

I'm just doing my part to avoid The Vinyl Vs. CD Bloodbath Part MDXII, futile effort perhaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.