Are you happy with the sound of yr hifi? I am.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Junkie. :righton:

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

At the moment I'm very happy with my Hi-Fi system, I've recently bought my first ever valve amp the Icon Audio Stereo 25 MkII Valve Amplifier and it's made one hell of a difference to my whole listening experience that's for sure.....

[​IMG]
    My main gear is set out below, I think the only area I'm looking to change in the future is maybe my speakers, I'll probably eventually get some that are especially designed for valve amps, that said I'm in no hurry as finances are tight and my present set up sounds pretty darned good as it is.

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut 3, with Seperate Speed Box II
    Cartridge: Ortofon OM20
    Pre Amplifier: Pro-Ject Tube Box II
    Digital Front End: OPPO-103BDP EU Bluray/SACD/CD Player/DAC
    Amplification: Icon Audio Stereo 25 MkII Valve Amplifier
    Speaker System: Tannoy Mercury V1 Speakers
    Interconnects: Chord Cobra VEE 3

3. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Did you break into my house to listen to my hifi?

RDriftwood and Colin M like this.
  4. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

Yes.

norman_frappe likes this.
  5. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Essentially yes - after a couple of recent additions. The fundamentals of my system are as follows (details in profile): Rega Planar 3 with Goldring 1012GX; Arcam Diva A85 integrated amp; Marantz CD6000KI; Monitor Audio Silver 5i floorstanders; cables mostly QED.

Having limited funds for such things, I added a Musical Fidelity V-DAC a few years ago, leaving the Marantz to transport duties and the improvement was dramatic. Satisfied in the interim, I boosted the performance of the DAC with the dedicated V-PSU a couple of months ago, which cured one or two minor CD playback issues and boosted performance significantly. Next in the spotlight came the Rega. Already modified over the years (now approaching its 25th birthday!), I plumped for a 'Tangospinner' sub-platter upgrade recently (see thread elsewhere) and the sound of my trusty Planar 3 has now been elevated to 'absolutely awesome'! I would say that my system would compare very favourably with one costing many hundreds of pounds more and I am highly satisfied. Just goes to show that a few judicious and modest changes can make a vast improvement to your listening pleasure, without breaking the bank!

6. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Very, very. enthusiastically happy. Only thing I consider once in a while is tube amp with a few more watts than 35 for when I just NEED to hear that LP a BIT louder.

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm not just happy with my hi-fi. I'm utterly thrilled with it! I'm Parasound'ed all the way to 11.

8. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

yes

Figbert likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" Are you happy with the sound of yr hifi ? I am. "

Sorry I missed you, did you grab yourself a snack while you were here ? :D

10. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok you lot he rumbled me . I am Father Christmas!

11. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I am extremely happy...especially given that the overall cost of my system shrank with very little given up in regards to SQ...Convinience has increased.

[​IMG]

12. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Very happy!
    Digital - Acer laptop with Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100.
    Marantz CD6004
    Analog - All vintage gear....
    Technics SL 1200 MK2 tt
    Pioneer PL 560 tt
    Pioneer SA 8800 int. Amp
    Pioneer SA 9500 II int. Amp
    Pioneer RT 707 rtr
    Pioneer HPM 150 speakers
    Klipsch Cornwall speakers
    None would be concidered " high end " but it puts a huge smile on my face!

13. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

@WHitese: Looks nice! I see Kirsaeter speakers (wich model?), but could you name the other components?

14. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

The monitors are Kirksaeter 141, the receiver is a Kirksaeter Moderator 150-200...I also use a rebuilt Pilot SM-245A EL84 int amp..
    The CDP is a Parasound CDP-2000 Ultra, TT is Thorens TD-166 MKII, the R2R is a Teac X-2000M.

lobo likes this.
  15. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

More than happy! My full range Pendragon speakers (driven by tubes) are some of the best speakers I have ever heard. And I have heard a lot of very high end speakers. They easily trumped some Vandersteen 7s priced at over 50k recently. Everyone who has heard my system has been blown away by it's overwhelming awesomeness... :D

So yeah, you could safely say I'm "happy."

PROG U.K. likes this.
  16. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice stuff!!

17. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I am since I soundproofed my listening space and started listening at lower volumes with quality efficient speakers.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, very happy with mine. Great sound, works a treat across the various formats board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.