Album it took you the longest to "get".

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by allnoyz, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Probably Pet Sounds. Just starting to really get it.

Helmut and allnoyz like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Trout Mask Replica.
    Once I ...zapped>got "it".
    I then got bored very quickly.
    Prefer Clear Spot.
    PYE records.

3. pnprecords

pnprecords Forum Resident

It took me years to understand the classic THE WHO albums - like Who's Next or Tommy. Now these are on my top 10 favourites. But still can't "get" Quadrophenia, now much should it take I wonder....?

4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Most Wilco albums from Summerteeth on wards take a long time for me to "get".
    Once I do though, I'm hooked.

linclink, utahusker and allnoyz like this.
  5. Say

Say Forum Resident

^ Missing some school days sick I played this album back in the day. Wondered what all the fuss was about. Yet it got repeated plays and I got better.

Took me a long time to 'get' into A Passion Play and Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Once hooked though I was sold on the goods.

6. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

It's About Time - Marc Ford

When this came out in 2002, it had been a long time since Ford was kicked out of The Black Crowes in 1997. He was pulling a Mick Taylor, the hotshot lead guitarist finally putting out a solo statement of his own after a long absence from a hugely popular band. I desperately wanted him to succeed right out of the gate...but It's About Time really disappointed me. My guitar hero had released a singer/songwriter-type album, with little focus on guitar solos. It would be at least a decade until I was able to appreciate this one for what it is: a really nice collection of well-played, heartfelt songs. It wasn't going to be The Black Crowes' Amorica Part Two, and he wasn't trying to go there. Great album!

vudicus and Smarvelous like this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

Pet Sounds
    I got it through Columbia House or BMG when I was a teen just because I thought it was the album Good Vibrations was on. I thought Pet Sounds was alright, but it didn't click. Years later, when I was 20/21 I listened to it again and I was finally ready for it.

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It will never be popular even among Zappa fans. I love it, but also love the reworked Ruben more than the original.

Speaking of Zappa, I've listened to Civilization Phase III many times over the years, but I still don't know if I get it. It's beautiful and mesmerizing but I still don't know if I understand it's complexity.

9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

trout mask replica- the captain

10. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find his Synclavier work more a curiosity than something enjoyable. Jazz From Hell may have won a Grammy, but I really don't hear much of anything interesting going on. G-spot Tornado is good, but I actually prefer the human version that Ensemble Modern did on The Yellow Shark.

LandHorses likes this.
  11. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

John Wesley Harding. My parents played it a lot when I was a child and I used to beg them to take it off and put something else on because I couldn't sand Bob singing I dreamed I saw St Augustine. Of course once I was an adult I came to love this album and that song but it was a long process for me and undoubtedly for my folks :)

OneStepBeyond and Stan like this.
  12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Took a while to get :
    Trout Mask Replica ,
    Pet Sounds , Forever
    Changes , not sure which
    was the longest

13. Scocam

Scocam Forum Resident

I never understood Jeff Beck when I was a guitar-playing kid. I just couldn't find the appeal that others had for him. That changed completely when I dusted off my parents old copy of his Jeff Beck Group album 25-30 years later. I absolutely love this album and don't understand why I didn't like him in the 80's.

I don't think I'll ever have an appreciation for some bands but ya never know.

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Same here,and after I "got" Astral Weeks,it still was one of my least favorite Van Morrison records.Frankly,it's a musical mess,and not in a good way,the way,say Sandinista! is.

levi likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes

16. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Took me a good twenty years to get Bob's three Christian records.

Stan likes this.
  17. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

David Bowies the Next Day took awhile, but was very rewarding once it clicked

Moshe likes this.
  18. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Leonard Cohen.
    It took me a while, but he's one of my favorites now.

19. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

Without a doubt "Workingman's Dead" in 45 RPM. It seems like it took forever. Oh, Yeah. It seems like it's taking forever, because I'm still waiting! I know that it will be worth it though. I love me some WD!

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not so much an album as an artist, but until quite recently I found the music of Anthony Braxton incomprehensible.

21. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

T. Bone Walker - Very Rare white label promo

22. Took me a decade after hearing "Pet Sounds" (1986) to realize what a great album it was. Same with "Transformer" by Lou Reed. I KNEW it was great but I didn't like it at first. Took me a couple of years to warm to it.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Agartha" or "Jack Johnson" might function better as an "open sesame" to Electric Miles.

I'm still working on Scott Walker and Giacinto Scelsi. There's too much going on to dismiss it, but it's really too painful for repeated listening.

24. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Can, Ege Bamyasi. A friend whose taste I respected recommended it. At first listen, it sounded like pure noise. Nothing to "grab onto" at all. But I had a hunch there was something I was missing. Slowly, one song at a time, it revealed itself to me. Now, I think the entire thing is genius!

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  25. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

The main one that comes to mind is Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue. I had read it was a great album on many sites and magazines, so I couldn't wait for the deluxe editon paired with the Bambu session to come out in 2011 I think. When I first listened to the album it really was a bore. Dennis was just kinda croaking these songs that as soon as they were done playing, I'd forgotten them. I tried to listen to the album again on and off but had the same problem, so I finally forgot about for about a year. I don't know what posessed me to listen to it again after about a year, but all of a sudden the album just clicked. I remember listening to it about 10 times the first week I rediscovered it. Songs like River Song, Moonshine, Dreamer, Thoughts Of You, Pacific Ocean Blue and Farewell My Friend have all become favorites and I could then see why it was and is so highly regarded. It's easily made its way into my top 50 favorite albums.

I just listed this in another thread but I've been trying for at least 5 years to "get" Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. I've listened to it at least 25 times all the way through during this time, but I can't find the appeal. I like most of Zappa's "out there" albums, but for some reason TMR just doesn't click with me. Maybe someday...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.