Super Nintendo games

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Absolutely. I've just seen so many of these out there getting poor reviews that one has to be cautious is all. :)

2. The biggest difference to me between the RetroN 3 and RetroN 5 is that the 5 connects via HDMI. This is a must-have feature so I'm patiently waiting for the 5's price to drop (cheapest I've found them is $300 which is far too much IMO).

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Which means that you are waiting until Hyperkin gets more RetroN 5's back in stock from their China manufacturer.

Shawn likes this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Glad this old thread popped up. I'd forgotten completely about it, or maybe I didn't even catch the answer to my question from over 4 years ago. I never new about the Gameboy Player. But now of course the thing isn't made anymore. I see lots of used ones for sale, but it seems like most don't have the starup disc which I take it is some sort of dongle needed to play anything through the gameboy player? Any suggestions on a good place to get one (gameboy player) with the disc for not too much?

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

If you have a retro video game store, I would check there first. Otherwise, this is the cheapest I found on ebay--$37 with free shipping.

It is a really cool accessory, so I hope you get one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-GA...er_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item1c441e4067

6. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I'd say OP should check his local craigslist too, I always see a couple people even in my small area who sell "vintage" systems/games/etc on there (resellers, not just regular people selling off their old stuff, though you find those too). Even if there's not a listing for one, a "wanted" ad might yield some results.

7. I only peeked in the thread because I saw your avatar. :laugh:

Not to threadcrap so: the SNES itself has aged well. Mine still works and companies are still emulating its controller.

8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Random SNES thoughts:

I've still got a SNES, controllers, the Super Advantage joystick and most of the games complete with instruction manuals and the boxes.

Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Street Fighter II and A Link to the Past were as good as it gets. Love those games.

The SNES ushered in a era of a lot of crappy 3rd party licensed titles that I'm not so fond of.

Emulation for the SNES is very stable and refined.

I've considered getting a flash cart for my system to play some of the translated titles & the more sophisticated hacks on the original hardware.

9. BradOlson

The new RetroN 5's will be shipping around August 15 or so according to the owner of the used bookstore that is also a retro gaming store.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

The music in Zelda: A Link To The Past still impresses me all these years later. It's just beautiful.

11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Ocarina of Time had the best music. That was N64 though.

12. PaulKTF

Yeah, I loved that music too! I think they even released it on CD>

13. agentalbert

So I purchased a Gameboy Player with the gamecube disc and its on the way. Other than the "Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3" cartridge, which I plan to get, any other suggestions for great cartridges to get for this component?

14. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Metroid Fusion

Just for starters.

15. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

http://wiki.selectbutton.net/sb:recommended:gameboy_advance

16. agentalbert

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a couple on the way. Is "Legend Of Zelda: A Link To the Past" the same as "Legend Of Zelda: A Link To the Past - Four Swords" or are those different?

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The GBA Link To The Past also comes with Four Swords on the same cartridge. Four Swords is a 4 player Zelda game. I have never played it because I don't have any friends with the game.

I would also highly recommend The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. The best portable Zelda game, and one of the best Zelda games period.

18. conception

conception Forum Resident

When I got into emulators a couple years ago, this was one of my most-played games. I also really enjoyed the versions of Tecmo Super Bowl, since I had grown up on the SNES classic.

19. conception

I can't even get pre-XP windows games to run on Vista and Windows 7, much to my chagrin. Some of my favorite strategy games are years old, but as they've updated the games the increased graphics has scaled the game down and lessened the fun of massive 2d worlds that old strategy games could provide.

20. BradOlson

@conception THE way to get pre-XP Windows games to work on Vista and Windows 7 is to load a Windows XP Virtual Machine.

21. BradOlson

The RetroN 5 is in stock at my local used bookstore that sells vintage and repro video game stuff.

22. PaulKTF

Are you going to buy one?

23. BradOlson

Most likely not.

24. conception

I know nothing about virtual machines, though I do consider myself reasonably savvy.

25. Out of curiosity, do you know how much they're selling them for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.