VPI Traveler arm just fell out of place

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ToddH, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me.

I have had a VPI traveler since January and use it daily without any problems. Tonight I lifted up the arm off the arm rest and the arm tilted to the side and down and the screw that balances the arm popped out of its spot. I have been unable to get it it stay in position.

Anyone else have this problem? I bought it from soundstage direct, I imagine I will have to go through vpi to get it fixed however. Anyone have experience with vpi fixing and returning things? Will this cost me money to have it repaired since it is only 6 months old? I sure hope not.

This is really disappointing to me that a table that was 1300 bucks just fells apart after gentle daily use.

I have uploaded two pictures so u can see what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Did you lose the screw?

3. ToddH

no, there was no screw. I never did anything to that part of the arm it was all set when I opened the box.

just to be clear, when lifting the arm off the rest the horizontal screw popped out of the gimbal and is just lying to the left.

I just did a search and it appears this was a problem with the first batch of these? I bought mine the week of xmas in 2012. Not sure if that was the first batch or not but it appears I have one that has a shorter screw and needs repair.

I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, just bad luck..

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, I see. Like a gimbal pivot point popped out of it's support hole. That's terrible. That shouldn't happen with solid machining.

5. ToddH

yes, apparently this was a problem on the first shipped tables I guess? or this version anyway. Now I know why soundstagedirect gave me 200 off the price when I ordered it, they must have known this version had issues.

either way this sucks. Hopefully when I get back from vacation vpi will repair it and get it back to me fast.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, sounds like there might be an easy fix. I would raise a fuss with VPI and get them to give you an updated tonearm. If the fix is just longer pins on the newer tonearms, they should be able to swap you a new one through the mail --- part for part. That is, if the counterweight comes off and you can remove the main tonearm tube. You could probably reseat the arm in the meantime, but that would take maneuvering the spring-load pins into place until they pop in. It'll be like working with spring-loaded watchband pins, though --- a study in frustation.

From audiokarma

The tonearm on the Traveler is a gimbal design using spring loaded pins on sapphire bearings. The original had shorter pins. If the tonearm was compressed against the gimbal on one side, the pin the opposite side could release from the hole in the gimbal so that the tonearm would detach. This happened to me twice and I was being careful. The new version addresses that problem with longer pins. The tonearm on my newer version has been bullet proof. I have no doubt that the detachment issue is solved. Still I am careful to always use a twist tie to secure the tonearm to the arm rest when removing the tonearm to change cartridges.

Rickchick likes this.
  7. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

Sorry this happened.

As suggested, give VPI a call in the morning.
    Give them a chance to correct the issue.

From what I gather they are a reputable company and have good customer service.

Post back with how things go.

Good luck,
    Paul

LeeS likes this.
  8. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

Todd

Got your email and I will follow up with VPI on Monday,they are closed tomorrow and will talk to you when you return from your vacation.

Sorry you are having trouble,VPI is an awesome company, Do not worry

Seth

Rickchick and macster like this.
  9. macster

macster Forum Resident

You got that right!

M~

Rickchick likes this.
  10. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Unfortunately it's a common problem with the early Travelers. Love my Scout.
    Regards, Sam

11. Basso Profondo

Basso Profondo Forum Resident

It was a very uncommon problem that a few people made a stink about. Contact Harry at VPI and he will look after you. No worries at all.

Sucks that it happened, but you have one of the most reputable families in audio standing behind it.

Rickchick and macster like this.
  12. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

They have total integrity.

13. ToddH

Just wanted to update and say thanks to Seth from soundstage direct and jack rubison from VPI.

Had my arm repaired and back to me basically in a couple of days.

14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

They redesigned the pivot points on the gimbal for this uncommon problem and called it version two. Just saying.

15. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I went to a VPI dealer today to audition the Traveler and was favorably impressed with both the sound and looks. I have noticed that the gimbal bearings had a bit of play in them. I was surprised, as my Rega RB303 has no play at all. Is this normal with the Traveler? The dealer said they just got the turntable in, so I am sure it is the updated version.

16. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Happened with mine - twice. Both times I managed to get it put back together myself, but not without a lot of swearing.

I have nightmares about putting another cart on that arm (how it happened the second time) - any torque put on the gimbals and I'm afraid they'll come apart again, ugh!

Otherwise very satisfied with the Traveler (although the motor could be a tad quieter).

17. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

You should contact VPI and send it in! This happened to me and they needed to tighten everything up and add Loctite. They said inadequate Loctite at the factory allowed things to loosen and fall out of place.

18. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

So are your gimbals now tight or is there a bit of clunking in the bearings if you pull/push on the arm?

19. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

There is just the tiniest amount of play if you push/pull on the arm. I hear it more than feel it.

I did contact VPI when the problem first presented itself. It was winter and they said that it had to do with it getting cold and loosening up (it happened as I was putting it together after it arrived). They were willing to replace it but I decided against it, too much of a pain to send back and I was able to get things put back together. Someday I may have to send the arm in to fix the problem once and for all, but for now I just am very careful with the tonearm (which is a generally a good idea anyway!).

20. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm glad you got it fixed! I believe VPI and other manufacturers want the dealers to be the front line in warranty issues. The reason I'm stating this is most everyone suggested calling VPI direct.

In a recent discussion on one of the "other" forums, Harry recommended going through the proper channels to get things fixed, as you would with your car, toaster, etc.

21. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Man, it is really not that much of a pain. Simply uninstall cart and tonearm, pack in supplied tonearm box and send express (10 mins total). VPI will return the favor and express it back completely fixed. I sent mine next-day-air and they had it repaired and shipped back to me within 24 hrs. If there is play in your tonearm, your needle is not tracking properly which sacrifices sound and unnecessary wear on your vinyl. You also risk damaging the tonearm due to the play in the gimbals. You also risk damaging your cart and records if it falls out of place again. Finally, you need to act before VPI pulls the "out-of-warranty" card.

22. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

The Rega isn't a unipivot arm like the VPI. Totally different bearing setup.

23. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

The Traveler is a gimble bearing.

rob303 and oregonalex like this.
  24. Bongofury

Bongofury New Member

25. Bongofury

Bongofury New Member

Hi,

Does anyone know what kind of Allen key (metric or imperial) one has to use to adjust the arm lifter on a VPI Traveller? Or is it a custom-machined piece that requires a special key? My table was set up by the dealer, and I am not sure if he neglected to provide the proper adjustment tools.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.