Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I use All Your Music too. Ridiculously, their prices of UK made CDs actually beat the ones on Amazon UK with p&p included. I note they have some of the other McCartney deluxes. Not at bad prices either...

theMess likes this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Guys, we're getting the OHC "Soily" on the Venus & Mars bonus CD! Or am I missing something?

supermd, Frank and theMess like this.
  3. Sean Murdock

Great minds think alike, eh? Or maybe it took both our brainpowers to completely misunderstand what they're talking about? I wait with bated breath...

Paul H and theMess like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member Thread Starter

Oops. So "Soily" (OHC version) is indeed on the bonus CD for Venus & Mars. It gets confusing sometimes...

But my comment about a download-only live version of "Cook Of The House" still holds (although a slim possibility). Arnie

5. Sean Murdock

I hesitate to even suggest this, but does anyone else feel that Linda is being quietly diminished in some of these releases? Given the paucity of tracks on the Speed Of Sound, it would have made perfect sense for something like the live "Cook Of The House" to be included -- unless Paul is holding it for some future Linda retrospective. Personally, I was rather shocked when Linda's (and Denny's) backing vocals were dramatically reduced on the Rockshow DVD -- I couldn't believe that Guy Massey (who remixed the audio) would presume to do it, or that Paul would approve it. I don't have much other evidence to go by, but it seems that outside of featuring her photos and honoring her non-musical role in Paul's life, she's kinda being treated like all the other Wings -- gently nudged aside so that the spotlight will shine solely on Paul.

supermd likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Which will be a good thing when the Archive sets get to the "Heather Mills" years... Arnie

7. Sean Murdock

Does that mean the Driving Rain Archive Collection will include a song called "H*****r" with the last word of the lyrics mixed out? I know how you love that album, Arnie, so I am concerned about how you would react to such historical revisionism...

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Ha, I am sad to admit that I have already created that edit for my Best of Macca playlist.

Even I can see how mad that now seems! :(

9. Sean Murdock

Don't be embarrassed -- I've planned the same edit, I just haven't gotten around to it yet! You're among friends here!

10. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Maybe he'll leave the last word alone, but follow it with a flown-in "Hunh!" from the end of "Nothing Too Much Just Out of Sight". Or better yet, maybe he'll reveal in the Driving Rain book what he meant by "runcible". Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he was conflating "ruinous" and "regrettable".

11. Arnold Grove

Let's see. What can I retitle it as? Instead of "Heather", I'll call it:

Hitler-- No, that was already used in "Soily".
    Himmler---No, he might have been a vegetarian, but I don't think that Paul would have liked to associate with him.
    Hooker---No, Ms. Mills allegedly undertook "hooker" types of activities at one time in her past.
    Halter---No, it what was in the "halter" that got Paul into trouble in the first place.
    Hoaxer---No, it'll bring up too many "Paul Is Dead" suggestions.

I got it: "Hamster". Fun loving, cute, and eats carrots and lettuce.

;) Arnie

12. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I hope Ringo doesn't end up throwing a rock through his window.

theMess likes this.
  13. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Oh, Wikipedia, is there anything you can't do.... ;)

"Runcible" is a nonsense word invented by Edward Lear. The word appears (as an adjective) several times in his works, most famously as the "runcible spoon" used by the Owl and the Pussycat.[1] The word "runcible" was apparently one of Lear's favourite inventions, appearing in several of his works in reference to a number of different objects. In his verse self-portrait, The Self-Portrait of the Laureate of Nonsense, it is noted that "he weareth a runcible hat".[2] Other poems include mention of a "runcible cat",[3] a "runcible goose" (in the sense of "silly person"),[4] and a "runcible wall".[4]

Edward Lear's best-known poem, The Owl and the Pussycat, published in 1871, includes the passage:

They dined on mince and slices of quince,
    which they ate with a runcible spoon.

14. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

"Runcible" is not his word. It is a steal from the poem The Owl & The Pussycat by Edward Lear. The two titular characters famously eat with a "runcible spoon" but Lear used it in various works and left its meaning open to various interpretations. Both Lennon & McCartney have mentioned Lear as a childhood influence. He is all over In His Own Write. Paul picks up the word from the same source and uses it as nonsensically as Lear intended and with a similar rhyme.

15. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Perhaps you have a friend or relative who is planning a vacation or business trip to the States and would be willing to do some music shopping on your behalf?

16. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Haha, the story is that John did it (which is false, it never happened ;-) )

17. Bobby Morrow

Sadly, not. Just have to hope Amazon UK do the decent thing. There's still a few weeks until they come out. If fact, they keep adding extra weeks on!

18. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am going to the US in October and if the Amazon UK prices stay where they are (£78) I am definitely going to cancel my pre-order and will try and buy in the US if the books are not too heavy. The other option is that I give up on this and other deluxe series that start at £40 and end up at twice that price for similar contents.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I personally are just as happy without a liveversion of Cook of the house. That certIn track might be the worst recording ever with Pauls name on. It s unlistenable. It s even worse than Freedom - a song that almost made me lose faith in Paul.

20. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is!!! This OHC "slaughtering" sometimes gets at us!
    I wish we could get a complete 3-CD ONe Hand Clapping set, with all tracks and outtakes

She is anyway and supermd like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

No thread can hold a list of stuff we wish we could get from Paul.

pablo fanques and She is anyway like this.
  22. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I don't think we have any definitive proof that "Soily" was ever attempted in any album studio sessions. We have little clues like from the '72 tour program but when I asked Denny Seiwell he said he didn't think he was involved with a studio version but he couldn't even recall the song "Best Friend" so his memories could be fading there.

There are the 3 One Hand Clapping rehearsals that get passed off as studio takes and in a sense they are if they added any overdubs to them or treat it like a live studio take but that remains to be seen.

She is anyway, theMess and speedway like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

That could be the big surprise on the next Coming Soon card! Not that anything seems to be coming very soon at the moment!

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yes...I'm slowly putting together my OHC CD. I hate the piece meal of all of this. OHC should have been a stand alone release, and so should have been the '79 Glasgow concert. A concert CD of 72'-73 UK tour would be nice. I wonder if they will piece meal that with the WL and RRS editions, if they ever come to fruition.

Bemagnus likes this.
  25. slane

slane Forum Resident

No way. I think 'Cook' is ok, almost sounds like an old obscure Sun record or something. Don't take it too seriously ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.