Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD on 7/30/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joshbg2k, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 1000%! No offense to those doing listening comparisons using computer derived samples. But in my opinion to do an accurate comparison on ones system they need to use the actual SHM-SACD and the RBCD. Maybe my opinion is wrong but when using the actual discs it removes all the possible issues of how the samples were created.

Bill

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm no expert on creating sound samples. From a CD, it should a be straightforward rip. From an SACD, I imagine problems could arise in how one gets the data and then converts it to PCM. Is that true? My issue with samples is what people are listening to them on. I'm sure many of us have better stereo systems than computer audio set-ups.

3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Except accurate level-matching in playback, which may be crucial, IMO... ;)

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Incase anyone has the ability to playback hi-res files, here is a 24bit/88khz sample from the SACD... the song is "Show Biz Kids".

Code:
    http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/70410000/file.html

Plan9 likes this.
  5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Oh no not another one!

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

You missed what he said. He said the SACD samples posted here.

I will quote: “In this case, the SACD samples posted here clearly sound like a second-generation dub of some sort compared to the original CD master or the '98 remaster. It exhibits the extra grain and fuzziness that you can clearly make out on dubbed material.”

I do not have an argument about whether or not you can downsample an SACD to glean mastering information. I have an issue with that specific samplespecifically. No offense to the person who posted it, I appreciate the effort, but to me it is off, sounds not even audio-quality much less audiophile quality. He must have the SACD to have posted it so I am not sure how he is not hearing this.

Listen, I can be as wrong as the next guy, so would someone please, please, please post a 3 minute wav sample of Boston Rag directly from the shm-CD. In the absence of that please, please, please someone listen to these shm-CD samples at this: link, on the same system as the downsampled sacd samples posted here—and let me know what you hear, please. I doubt a proper shm-cd sample would sound like a “second-generation dub” like the downsampled shm-sacd sample does to me; I will repeat, my direct experience with the shm-sacd on a revealing main rig is it does not sound like a dub, and it is not hi-rez alone that is the difference.

Finally, I fully expect people not to like the mix of the shm-cd, I am not offering any argument about mix preferences; but I suggest you use a shm-cd sample of some sort to make decisions about this mastering simply to double-check the validity of the downsampled sacd sample many people here seem to be using to make shm-sacd decisions.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Leaving mix and eq aside, does your shm-cd sound like a second-generation dub copy? When you listen to the downsampled sacd samples posted here how does your shm-cd (same resolution as the samples correct) compare? thanks

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Were you being sarcastic with this comment? It might be throwing some of us off. thanks

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Of course one should level match when comparing different versions of a specific title. Wouldn't level matching apply to comparing computer generated samples as well ;).

Bill

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Much easier accomplished (& more accurate too) with track ReplayGain engaged during playback (or ABX). ;)

11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Did you do a comparison, and if so which did you prefer?

12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

While all you recording engineers scrap over the merits of pure sound I will continue to enjoy my shm sacd of this title.
    Seriously this one is certainly an upgrade.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

What he said...it's that's simple.

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

BTW I just now noticed that you posted this as a hi-rez file, so I would retract my snarky comment if I could. I appreciate you putting this up. Unfortunately I cannot listen to hi-rez computer files, but I am interested in hearing comments on it. thanks again

15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Can the people that state that the SHM-SACD is the best list what other masterings they have compared it to?

16. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

If you follow the thread, they pretty much have in all cases.

17. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I guess you figure most of them will say it is the best of one. ;)

I think we have enough secondary evidence and can move on to the next step. We either get it and listen to it to figure things out on our own, or take a pass on it convinced the sample data tell the story well.

:wave:

Alexandre likes this.
  18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I compared it against the MCAD-31156. Overall I find the SHM to be darker sounding than the redbook, smoother and less detailed in the highs.
    I'm not saying the SHM is better, just sharing my impressions.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  19. audiomixer

Darker? No!
    Smoother? Yes!
    Less Detailed In The Highs? Definitely No!

20. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

It's definitely darker, unless your definition is different than mine.
    When I say less detailed I mean the original CD sounds brighter to me, the SHM is more laid back.

21. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

No it doesn't sound like a dub or later generation copy - I'm unable to compare with the down-sampled SACD sample, I would never go by a sample good or bad unless I could be 100 per cent sure of it's origin and treatment. There is also an element of 'life's too short' now that I can easily compare it directly. To be clear, my favourite and therefore reference to date had been my Japan for MCA original CD.

bmoregnr likes this.
  22. audiomixer

Darker to me indicates less transparency; more veiled...which this SHM-SACD is not, in my opinion.

23. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I find it amusing that anybody would consider that anything BUT sarcasm. :)

bmoregnr and jriems like this.
  24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I wouldn't say it's veiled but it does have more bottom end.

25. audiomixer

So, darker in what way? Darker, to me, means duller overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.