Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

So, basically the Hendrix catalog is getting all cluttered up again.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

I was talking about the audio mix with my 'No'. The other part was just reiteration of the song selection.

johnny q likes this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

They should have just kept COL and RB from the start. Prime Hendrix.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No, what they should have done is released it chronologically.

They could have worked out the original track listings so that Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge only contained post Electric Ladyland recorded material while War Heroes contained only Experience era outtakes for example.

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

I like them just the way they are (COL/RB). The ones after that could've been better though.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Kramer himself has stated they were hamstrung because they were told to maximize the number of albums they got from the material so tracks were swapped out on Cry Of Love and held back as "ringers" for Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes.

7. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Wonder if they will continue with "War Heroes", "Loose Ends" (shudder) and Alan Douglas' "Crash Landing" and "Midnight Landing". I can definitely see EH proclaim the latter two as "Iconic, controversial albums, out of print for 20 years!".

8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yeah, but it's history now. There was no point (in 1997) in changing what were very good albums anyway. And the Kramer changes were really no worse than AYE getting altered for the US while Hendrix was still alive, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That's correct, there is no need for a duplicate thread.

11. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Should have changed the thread title then.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I could see EH being kind of torn. Knowing that COL and RB were put out with "extending the catalog" back in the day AND that they were designed for the LP era, they (rightly or wrongly) chose to produce a single disc that was longer and that they thought better represented Jimi's vision for his last LP. Whether or not they accomplished this is open for debate (and has been debated quite a bit).

That being said, there are a lot of flaws with the First Rays CD. It's mastered too hot for most people's tastes, "Freedom" has distortion that is NOT present on other sources of the song and they clipped the drum intro to "Ezy Ryder". There could be other issues as well, these are just what I recall off the top of my head.

As others have stated, the reason to get these would be because of superior mastering compared to other CD issues of the same material. Also, for those that like vinyl, minty copies of COL and RB are probably not super easy to come by so if these are well made LPs, they could be a welcome addition.

Sure EH is likely going for the "nostalgia grab" here, but a lot of people have fond memories of these records and it's not like they are charging an arm and a leg for them. It's only frustrating that these songs weren't mastered properly on a digital format in the first place, but that's another argument.

I also second the belief that there aren't a lot of relevant bonus tracks left in the vaults for them to mine. I mean, EH has already shied away from making "sessions" sets of the core AYE, Axis and ELL albums/CDs, so I don't expect them to tack on bonus tracks to these types of re-issues (although I'd love to be surprised).

Gordon Johnson, JoeF. and slane like this.
  13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sure, I'm just providing info in case people don't want to re-hash things that have already been discussed recently. Not my thread so not my title to change.

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I disagree. I would rather have all of the post Electric Ladyland tracks that were closest to being finished together. In addition, the tracks that Kramer was forced to swap out and hold back all appeared on First Rays along with some others. However, Kramer was hamstrung again because he was told to include the entire Cry Of Love album on First Rays.

15. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Cry Of Love was one of the first LPs I ever owned. I got a copy in '76 or thereabouts from a pawnshop in Plymouth [England] for UKĀ£0.50 because it had no cover. It hangs together really well as an album- First Rays may be more 'complete' but it isn't as cohesive.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  16. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

Don't forget "9 to the Universe". Those other CDs have all been officially released but 9 to the Universe remains unreleased on CD (other than bootlegs).

eyeCalypso and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  17. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I would not be surprised by that. I suppose that they could release albums like Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning without any of the posthumous overdubbing by musicians that did not work with Hendrix. I have never heard any of these Alan Douglas albums, so what would they sound like without the posthumous overdubbing?

marcfeld69 and dino77 like this.
  18. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Well, most of the Douglas tracks have been released in non-od'd versions by EH already.

The only holdovers are 4 tracks from "Midnight Lightning"

"Midnight Lightning" - undubbed version exists in collectorland
    "Blue Suede Shoes" - part of the undubbed version is on the OOP "Loose Ends"
    "Machine Gun"- undubbed version exists in collectorland
    "Beginnings"- undubbed version exists in collectorland. This is from Hit Factory, September '69, NOT the take as released on "War Heroes"; that one is from Electric Lady July '70.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Definitely true, however they've mined all the tracks except for the song "Nine To The Universe" for other discs (although this fact didn't stop them from reissuing Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge, so who knows). In most cases they've even used full or at least extended editions of the songs included as well. The one exception is "Easy Blues" from People, Hell & Angels. I love the song, but I prefer the longer edit on Nine To The Universe. You're right though, another opportunity for a "nostalgia buy" and like Rainbow Bridge, it's never been on an official CD in it's original form.

BKarloff likes this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Just to comment...while EH "sucked it up" and re-issued Alan Douglas' ":Blues" as is, I think they have their limits. I can't ever see them re-issuing the tracks on "Crash Landing" or "Midnight Lightning" "as is", especially now that ProTools and other such programs exist. Heck, if ProTools had existed in the 70s, I doubt even Alan Douglas would have resorted to the extremes he did on those two LPs.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  21. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

As far as "bonus tracks", any or all of these would do nicely imo.

22. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Have ALL of the tracks from the "Rainbow Bridge" LP been released already by Experience Hendrix" I thought that there was
    maybe 1 or 2 tracks from that album that haven't been released on CD yet.

23. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

What's next, a rerelease of Voodoo Soup?!?! :hurl:

24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

They've all be re-released. That was one of the pledges that EH made in the early days, that all the tracks from COL, RB and War Heroes would eventually see the light of day again (across multiple releases of course). They sure went out of their way to "bury" a few of those tracks, though. For example, "Three Little Bears" from War Heroes was only re-issued as a bonus track on the "Merry Christmas And A Happy New Year" CD Single.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

The clipped/missing drum intro to Ezy Ryder is restored on the 2010 rerelease.

marcfeld69 and Chris Haley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.