Good deals on Amazon.co.uk--updated regularly (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Mark, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tappioha

tappioha Forum Resident

Ordered. One of the greatest of 60's.

2. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

They bumped up my shipping as I had been waiting a few days for dispatch and the handling time kept increasing. I queried this, and they offered to send on the faster service. I've got a nice smile...... :)

3. imarcq

Uh oh now my Earth Wind and Fire box has turned up today! And I didn't even suck up to Amazon either! ;)

4. imarcq

It's still £21 before tax removal and shipping! Looks fab value.....but where to start?

1. Last Days And Time, November 1972 album, 11 tracks, 39:52 minutes
    2. Head To The Sky, May 1973, 6 tracks, 36:39 minutes
    3. Open Our Eyes, March 1974, 11 tracks, 39:53 minutes
    4. That's The Way Of The World, March 1975, 8 tracks, 38:54 minutes
    5. Gratitude, November 1975 2LP set, 16 tracks, 66:11 minutes
    6. Spirit, October 1976, 9 tracks, 36:23 minutes
    7. All `n' All, November 1977, 11 tracks, 38:58 minutes
    8. The Best Of Earth, Wind & Fire Vol.1, November 1978, 10 tracks, 40:10 minutes
    9. I Am, June 1979, 9 tracks, 37:40 minutes
    10. Faces, November 1980 2LP set, 17 tracks, 66:07 minutes
    11. Raise!, November 1981, 9 tracks, 38:30 minutes
    12. Powerlight, March 1983, 9 tracks, 41:20 minutes
    13. Electric Universe, November 1983, 8 tracks, 37:19 minutes
    14. Touch The World, November 1987, 10 tracks, 42:47 minutes
    15. Heritage, February 1990, 17 tracks, 51:22 minutes
    16. Constellations - The Universe Of EW&F, 2012 Exclusive, 16 tracks, 68:10 minutes

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

So what's the deal here? Overseas buyers pay less on Amazon UK because of a tax loophole??

6. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

So what's the deal here? Overseas buyers pay less on Amazon UK because of a tax loophole??

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Not exactly a loophole - they don't have to pay VAT.

imarcq likes this.
  11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My copy came on Tuesday, but I haven't had a chance to even open it yet. Busy week. The shipping box looks nice, though. :)

imarcq likes this.
  12. imarcq

We heard you the first time lol! There's no tax loophole as such. It's just that VAT is not charged to buyers outside the United Kingdom. Same thing happens with other EU countries and also Japan. But then again I have to pay for international shipping, while it's mostly free in UK. So swings and roundabouts. And don't forget the most important thing, is that many countries charge import duties when the parcel arrives, in the same way as UK does. So you're not really missing out. I'm British btw.....

Robert C likes this.
  13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

It's not a tax loophole. US buyers don't pay VAT when ordering at Amazon UK, just like they wouldn't pay it if they bought something at home.

In the past, there was a real VAT loophole for UK buyers involving british channel islands, used by Amazon UK and other british online stores, but it has been closed recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAT-free_imports_from_the_Channel_Islands

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Robert C likes this.
  14. imarcq

What's weird though is that some UK sellers DO charge you VAT. It's actually a bit hit and miss. And of course anything you buy from Amazon marketplace sellers in UK is always the full price. Another thing is that some items have a zero VAT rating so no tax is added to start with, so it can't be taken off. I think that applies to books? The original intention was that VAT is not added to essential goods. So items like food, certain clothes, books never used to have VAT. But music, CDs, DVDs are considered non-essential luxury items and have the tax included. The law might have changed a bit recently, but I think the premise is basically the same?

15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Jesus I don't know why it posted so many times! :yikes:

Ah yes, the Channel Islands loophole. Heady days!

16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

You can check the VAT rate for the various product types on the Amazon help page

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=502578

17. imarcq

Yes that was CDWOW. Different ownership now, and more expensive.

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

In fact many stores were using that loophole. A couple of years ago, when a german or french resident ordered a CD from Amazon UK, he received it from a warehouse in England (the loophole could not be used anyway), but when a UK resident ordered the same CD, he received it from a Channel island, and no VAT was charged on small shipments. So 19% tax could be saved in the process, although it was a UK store selling to a UK customer.

19. KeithH

You fell victim to forum server maintenance, which occurs a few times a week somewhere around 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. your time. You click "Post Reply", see the white bars flash in sequence in the top right corner for awhile, and then the white bars disappear and it seems that nothing happened. Your text is still sitting in the reply box, and your post appears to have not gone through. In reality, your post did go through, but the server simply isn't displaying it while maintenance is on-going. So you click "Post Reply" two more times wondering what went wrong. The result is the same as the first time. Once the maintenance has been completed, you see all three posts. In the future, just stop at one. It will show up eventually. :)

Robert C likes this.
  20. KeithH

VAT sucks. Now a vat of chocolate is another story. That's something I'd pay for. :)

[​IMG]

PH416156 and imarcq like this.
  21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Cheers!

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

23. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

24. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

Thanks for that. If it's still £3.99 the next time I order something from Amazon (to get the free shipping) I might get one; that's crazy cheap for new vinyl. If it sounds any good it would be a bonus. I see it includes autorip, whilst the MP3 version is also on sale for £3.99...

Also logged the LITA Mark Lanegan compilation (three well-pressed LPs, a box and a large booklet) for £16.99, £9 less than I paid for it in January:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Has-God-Seen-Shadow-Anthology/dp/B00GIJQJ20/ref=zg_bs_382540011_4

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Slightly more than I paid in 1974.

ptijerm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.