Concert for George: Why not Dylan?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grx8, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Dylan makes me uncomfortable when he's onstage because he seems VERY uncomfortable---and i'm a big fan---and I enjoy some of his later records.

The Concert for George tribute is one of the best I've seen (minus the Shankar stuff----just as tedious as it was in 1971). Dylan or no Dylan. I think it may be the best concert film I own----right up there with The Last Waltz.

Clapton is to be commended----it's better than I ever thought it could be.

2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

My guess is they didn't think McGuinn was a big enough name.

Having said that, Joe Brown was there.

I didn't expect Dylan to be there.

John Cleese, on the other hand, pretty much owes his film career to Harrison. Where was he? :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

4. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

:thumbsup:

5. serge

serge Forum Resident

He was there when it counted for George.

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Yes, I realize Roger and George were not close personal friends but when you get your sound from him and hence perhaps much of your success, it's a way to acknowledge his influence and say thank you. I don't know the details as to how people were invited or even if McGuinn inquired about it. McGuinn and George did play "Bobfest" many years back to acknowledge Dylan's influence on them. George's 12 string Rick sound and many of Dylan's songs made up much of the Byrds success

JimC likes this.
  8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Again, Bobfest and Concert For George are two totally different apples and oranges type tribute shows. Bobfest was an influence, some friends, and some flavors of the day so to speak--like most tribute concerts seem to be. Concert For George was strictly personal friends only, set up that way from the beginning by a close personal friend. I think it was the right decision, and what made that show so much more special and heartfelt than all of the others before it.

9. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

John Cleese? Sure you don't mean Terry Gilliam (who was there)?

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Leon should have been there too but I don't think he was invited. :sigh:

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  11. Peter_R

I mean Cleese. Python's film career and the international success was owed to George's efforts.

Cleese choosing not to be part of the performance showed tremendous lack of character and gratitude, IMHO.

12. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

Python were doing very well thank you very much before George stepped in to help on 'Life of Brian'.

Frankly, and I'll be shot down for this, the concert is better for not having Dylan there. He's a marmite artist for me.

and all I said was that concert was good enough for Jehovah...

idreamofpikas and anthontherun like this.
  13. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Maybe he didn't want to be there or wasn't invited ???

14. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I can't find the quote but Dylan had some beautiful things to say about George after George passed away... Bob's relationship with George and presumably Olivia and Dhani is his business.... but i am guessing that Bob and George had a lot of mutual love and respect for each other.

15. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Maybe he realized that George wasn't going to be there. So there was no point in "being there for George".

Regandron and serge like this.
  16. SAPCOR1

SAPCOR1 Forum Resident

Steve Winwood didn't play but he was in the audience

JimC likes this.
  17. Peter_R

Very well, indeed. But there's no denying that the films brought them to an even greater level of success, especially in the USA.

BLASPHEMY! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

Why wasn't Stig O'Hara there? That irks me to no end.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Dylan was incredibly supportive of George, on both a professional and personal level. Not playing in the tribute concert doesn't change that.

20. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree with you BUT ................this show is great as it went down...George touched a lot of folks including Dylan--IMO a Traveling Wilburys live performance with remaining members and a couple of solo tunes would have enhanced it even further.

21. He was most certainly invited and he was obviously aware of the event. Check out post #4 for a comment Dylan made in concert on November 13, about two weeks before the tribute concert.
    I have no idea why Dylan wasn't present at the George tribute, but I guess he had his reasons.

22. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Leon wanted to be there but for some reason, perhaps medical, he was unable to fly to England.

23. Johnny Livewire

Johnny Livewire New Member

Clapton said there was 3 weeks of rehearsal prior to the show. If Bob was on tour maybe he couldn't commit to the rehearsals?

24. "Something" from MSG Nov. 13, 2002. Dylan's introduction is missing on this recording, where he claimed that couldn't attend the tribute concert, but George was "a great buddy" or something like that.

25. That's a pretty good tribute, isn't it?

Carserguev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.