Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Good to know. I never bothered to pick up any of the Sony re-issues as soon as I read that most of them were straight re-issues of the previous MCA discs. I thought I was a Jimi-nut but apparently I've got limits in my old age. Hopefully the mastering will be even better this time around.

supernaut likes this.
  2. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes, the reason for getting these would be better mastering.

3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Isn't there a nine minute version of "Valleys of Neptune" featuring Steve Winwood on organ in existence? I thought I read that once.

supernaut likes this.
  4. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Drat, I didn't know that?! I may have to buy the 2010 rerelease due to OCD?!? Are there any more differences between the 1997 and 2010 versions of the "main" releases? I had gathered they were identical!

5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Totally agree. I'd also add In the West (with the original tracks) and War Heroes. Kramer did an admirable job putting these albums together under less than ideal circumstances. It's interesting to note that Kramer stopped producing Hendrix albums after War Heroes as he felt that this represented the last studio material worthy of official release. This led Michael Jeffrey to slap together the haphazard Loose Ends and Alan Douglas' Frankenstein creations - Crash Landing and Midnight Lightening.

Of course, Kramer changed his tune and went on to produce a bunch of additional posthumous Hendrix releases. The only thing I can figure is that Kramer feels that Janie Hendrix is going to put this material out regardless, and if he's involved, as least he can prevent her from taking liberties with the music a à la Douglas.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Don't worry. Janie's great-grand-kids will announce a big project to "clean it all up" for neural implant on Jimi's 100th birthday in 2042.

supernaut likes this.
  7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

EH released 'Blues' because that was a stipulation of the legal settlement !!

jhm likes this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I tried to think of something LESS concerning, and came up with the quality of coffee in the front office, as opposed to our machine back here in shipping. Same coffee, mind, but I'm sure there's something to be outraged about, if I put my mind to such inconsequential matters.

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Looks like these are going to be cheapie imports, unless you import from Japan. Back to CD Japan for me.

10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Hello all, long time lurker but new to the forum. I have First Rays and an excellent copy of Cry Of Love already on vinyl so I think I'll have to pass on this one. I always look forward to new Hendrix on vinyl. The last one I picked up was Live At Monterey a couple of months ago. Glad it is being remastered and reissued but I think I'll pass.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It makes more sense to me to put the First Rays era tracks on Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge.

War Heroes could then contain Experience era outtakes like this.

Look Over Yonder
    Somewhere
    Peace In Mississippi
    My Friend

Highway Chile
    The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice (held back from War Heroes for Loose Ends)
    Tax Free
    51st Anniversary (Kramer said this should have been on War Heroes as it was unissued on U.S. lp at the time instead of the weaker Peter Gunn /Catastrophe or Three Little Bears)
    Midnight

This excludes more recent Experience era tracks that have been found like Sunshine Of Your Love or Ships Passing Through The Night for example.

tcbtcb likes this.
  12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Don't forget the original Polydor "Isle Of Wight" LP. Kramer refused to have anything to do with that either. I've given up trying to question his motives but he's changed his mind A LOT on what is or is not releasable. Back in 1992 when he co-wrote "Setting The Record Straight" he was claiming things like Berkeley '70 only had enough good tracks to release a single disc comprised of both sets and yet EH went on to release the full 2nd set as a stand alone and parts of the 1st across various compilations. The same goes for some of the less controversial Douglas releases like Nine To The Universe. They may have slammed them initially, but they wound up issuing almost all of those tracks (in some form or another) themselves (if not on a "mainstream" release, then via their Dagger label).

13. Further

Further Forum Resident

I'm in for both on vinyl. If these turn out anything like the original 3 albums released by Sony Legacy in 2010 (and all indications of mastering, analog, etc point in that direction), they will be fantastic.

14. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Bump? I'm now intrigued, I've been googling around and everywhere it says that the 1997 and 2010 rereleases of the main albums (including First Rays and SSDelta) are identical?

15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The Dagger label was an ingenious way to make secondary material available to the hardcore collectors while maintaining the integrity of the official catalog. Unfortunately, EH has mainly abandoned this approach of late.

If it were up to me, only the prime stuff - the three Experience albums, BOG and the first four posthumous releases - would remain continuously in print with the imprimatur of an official release. The other decent, or semi-decent, recordings I'd make available on the mail-order-only Dagger label and/or as MP3s on iTunes. Bootlegs, as in crudely recorded concerts by fans, would be free to stream online, which Experience Hendrix, to their credit, has done. Basically, I'd streamline Hendrix material by splitting it into three distinct categories in order to eliminate confusion and to be fair to both fans and Hendrix' musical legacy.

supernaut and jhm like this.
  16. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

The only difference I hear between the 1997 and 2010 First Rays Of The New Rising Sun CDs is this "back in place" complete drum intro on Ezy Ryder on the later release.
    The other rereleases I haven´t compared, but I don´t know of any significiant difference on those.

Chris Haley likes this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Is there any reason to get Rainbow Bridge if I already have the four original albums, Experience Hendrix releases and Dagger releases?

18. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I wonder if the recent passing of Alan Douglas will effect in any way the legal agreements made by him and the estate back when the catalog changed hands in the 90s.

19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I'll get them simply because they're in the order of how I've always heard those songs.

It'll be the first JH purchase I've made since SSD. Those EH albums starting with SSD that are supposedly of "Jimi's vision" - feh.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I think it's difficult to appease all the fans all the time. EH are like any company, in it for profit and there is nothing wrong in that. They cannot get involved with wondering and over thinking what EVERY fan wants, impossible and unproductive.

I don't see how these releases represent the likelihood of us not getting definitive expanded sets of the core albums, I doubt EH would be concerned about repeating SOME of these trax on any future release of an expanded set though possibly they would do well to present alt' takes of these songs. Maybe instrumental basic trax, or alt' takes that for whatever reason were felt not strong enough for the album in the first instance. I can think of a number of outtakes I would love to hear from these sessions.

Changing the upcoming albums content, be it with replacement takes of the same song, expanding the content [reducing the content!!] is not a good idea. We have seen that from the ITW release.

Having just looked at the vinyl collection, I have at least four pressings of each of these titles [the Dutch Polydor COL plays mint as I just reminded myself] and I'm more than happy to pick up the upcoming vinyl and CD's.

21. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

You may well like the new issues better, mastering dependant of course.
    Monterey? Which pressing? No don't answer that, we need a Monterey thread for these pressings .......................................

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am not saying they need to replace tracks on the reissues with alternates, I am saying this material should have been presented coherently from the beginning and then when the material was reissued again by Experience Hendrix, it still was not presented that way. However, it would have been nice for longtime fans to have a few unissued bonus tracks on the forthcoming reissues of Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge even if they were alternates of the songs already on the album added on the end of the disc.

My post below is just one example of how this could be done. Another example would have been to reissue the Band of Gypsies studio material together in one place as a Band Of Gypsies studio album.

It makes more sense to me to put the First Rays era tracks on Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge.

War Heroes could then contain Experience era outtakes like this.

Look Over Yonder
    Somewhere
    Peace In Mississippi
    My Friend

Highway Chile
    The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice (held back from War Heroes for Loose Ends)
    Tax Free
    51st Anniversary (Kramer said this should have been on War Heroes as it was unissued on U.S. lp at the time instead of the weaker Peter Gunn /Catastrophe or Three Little Bears)
    Midnight

This excludes more recent Experience era tracks that have been found like Sunshine Of Your Love or Ships Passing Through The Night for example.

wayne66 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Better mastering than what, the mastering that Bob Ludwig did in the early '70s on these two classics?

Cassius and Gordon Johnson like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I read that they also corrected the overly hot boosted levels and that the later issue sounds better over all.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  25. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

That "Hear My Train" version is on the "Blues" CD.

More acoustic tracks can be found on the "West Coast Seattle Boy" box.

There is also the long out of print "Jimi by himself" CD that came with this comic: http://www.amazon.com/VOODOO-CHILD-HC-Illustrated-Hendrix/dp/0670867896

A very short "Acoutic Demo" is on the Dagger release "Morning Symphony Ideas" - also the brilliant "Scorpio Woman" which is a home demo but on electric guitar.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    supernaut and J_D__ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.