Forthcoming Genesis news and new logo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROG U.K., Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Oh dear, I like some of Steve Hackett's solo output and he is a great guitarist but Ace Of Wands is really a showcase for everything people hate in prog rock.

2. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

Are there any plans to release this in the US? I'd hate to miss it! (sarcasm)

DiabloG likes this.
  3. bt1098

bt1098 Forum Resident

Not much here, move on....:). It would be nice to see them tour with PG though...and bring out the old props.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This doesn't offer much to the serious longtime fan, but I don't agree with comments above that it's a sucky tracklist.

In fact, that track list is surprisingly even handed, and represents more of their pre-hit-maker material than you'd expect. My only serious qualm with that tracklist is that it over-emphasizes the wretched We Can't Dance with three tracks.

It looks to me that they probably asked each member to suggest three tracks, which is why those are somewhat idiosyncratic. It's nice that people will get to hear one of Tony's better orchestral pieces (I think Seven and (especially) Six are excellent).

Again, this is a disappointment (but not an unexpected one) to big fans. But I don't agree it's crap. Just unnecessary for us.

5. Markarrow

Markarrow Forum Resident

IMWAN is posting the following as the track list for a new 3_CD compilation of Genesis and solo songs. The cover art is the new logo.
    Product Description
    Spanning 42 years, this 3-CD, 37-track set documents the band’s history with classic Genesis material compiled alongside selections from the solo careers of Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, and Mike Rutherford / Mike + The Mechanics. Genesis and their associated solo projects have accumulated a remarkable and undiminished series of accomplishments over the years, and have collectively amassed an incredible fourteen chart-topping albums as well as over two dozen more which reached the Top 10. In total, Genesis and the members’ related solo projects have sold more than 300 million albums worldwide. Chronologically ordered, R-Kive features the Genesis’s biggest hits including ‘Invisible Touch’, ‘Turn It On Again’, ‘Land of Confusion’ and ‘I Can’t Dance’. Along the way it also visits Mike + The Mechanics’ classics ‘The Living Years’ and ‘Over My Shoulder’, Collins’s ‘In The Air Tonight’ and his Philip Bailey duet ‘Easy Lover’, and Peter Gabriel’s ‘Solsbury Hill’ and ‘Biko’.

CD1
    1. ‘The Knife’ – from ‘Trepass’ (1970)
    2. ‘The Musical Box’ – from ‘Nursery Cryme’ (1971)
    3. ‘Supper’s Ready’ – from ‘Foxtrot’ (1972)
    4. ‘The Cinema Show’ – from ‘Selling England By The Pound’ (1973)
    5. ‘I Know What I Like’ – from ‘Selling England By The Pound’ (1973)
    6. ‘The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway’ – from ‘The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway’ (1974)
    7. ‘Back In N.Y.C.’ – from ‘The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway’ (1974)
    8. ‘The Carpet Crawlers’ – from ‘The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway’ (1974)
    9. ‘Ace of Wands’ – from Steve Hackett’s ‘Voyage of the Acolyte’ (1975)

CD2
    1. ‘Ripples’ – from ‘A Trick of the Tail’ (1976)
    2. ‘Afterglow’ – from ‘Wind & Wuthering’ (1976)
    3. ‘Solsbury Hill’ – from Peter Gabriel’s first self-titled album (1977)
    4. ‘Follow You Follow Me’ – from ‘And Then There Were Three’ (1978)
    5. ‘For A While’ – from Tony Banks’s ‘A Curious Feeling’ (1979)
    6. ‘Every Day’ – from Steve Hackett’s ‘Spectral Mornings’ (1979)
    7. ‘Biko’ – from Peter Gabriel’s third self-titled album (1980)
    8. ‘Turn It On Again’ – from ‘Duke’ (1980)
    9. ‘In The Air Tonight’ – from Phil Collins’s ‘Face Value’ (1981)
    10. ‘Abacab’ – from ‘Abacab’ (1981)
    11. ‘Mama’ – from ‘Genesis’ (1983)
    12. ‘That’s All’ – from ‘Genesis’ (1983)
    13. ‘Easy Lover’ – Phil Collins & Philip Bailey (Originally released in 1984)
    14. ‘Silent Running’ – from Mike + The Mechanics’s self-titled album (1985)

CD3
    1. ‘Invisible Touch’ – from ‘Invisible Touch’ (1986)
    2. ‘Land of Confusion’ – from ‘Invisible Touch’ (1986)
    3. ‘Tonight Tonight Tonight’ – from ‘Invisible Touch’ (1986)
    4. ‘The Living Years’ – from Mike + The Mechanic’s ‘Living Years’ (1989)
    5. ‘Red Day on Blue Street’ – from Tony Banks’s ‘Still’ (1991)
    6. ‘I Can’t Dance’ – from ‘We Can’t Dance’ (1991)
    7. ‘No Son of Mine’ – from ‘We Can’t Dance’ (1991)
    8. ‘Hold On My Heart’ – from ‘We Can’t Dance’ (1991)
    9. ‘Over My Shoulder’ – from Mike + The Mechanics’s ‘Beggar On A Beach Of Gold’ (1995)
    10. ‘Calling All Stations’ – from ‘Calling All Stations’ (1997)
    11. ‘Signal To Noise’ – from Peter Gabriel’s ‘Up’ (2002)
    12. ‘Wake Up Call’ – from Phil Collins’s ‘Testify’ (2002)
    13. ‘Nomads’ – from Steve Hackett’s ‘Out Of The Tunnel’s Mouth’ (2009)
    14. ‘Siren’ – from Tony Banks’s ‘Six: Pieces of Orchestra’ (2012)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MV5LR9K/?tag=imwan-21

6. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Just weird... The solo material appear like random tokens. Of course, there was no way this release would make exisiting hit packages by Gabriel and Collins superfluous.

But it is interesting that the first disc, i.e. a third of the release, is basically devoted to the Gabriel era. That proportionality says something. But since when did "Back in NYC" become a classic cut? When Jeff Buckley covered it?

Good also that Hackett's "Everyday" gets some more exposure.

7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Can't disagree more. Brilliant track, and with Rutherford and Collins as the rhythm section, one of the few 'solo' tracks on this comp that makes sense. I don't know who is running the Genesis camp, but they are truly out to lunch.

LivingForever likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Platinum Collection also featured 1 full disc of Gabriel-era goods. In fact, the tracklisting is quite similar (albeit reversed):

"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"
    "Counting Out Time"
    "The Carpet Crawlers"
    "Firth of Fifth"
    "The Cinema Show"
    "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)"
    "Supper's Ready"
    "The Musical Box"
    "The Knife"

drivingfrog likes this.
  9. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

What was it released as a single with a naked man on the picture sleeve? ;)

longaway likes this.
  10. Hmm, that cover sort of reminds me of the cover of another swindle of an album...coincidence?

[​IMG]

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

As a buyer the choise is to buy or not to buy.

For me: Not to buy.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

When I first saw the thread I was like "what inactive band needs a new logo"?

Now seeing the utterly bizarre tracklist, I'd love to see the market research that shows a clear demand for this product. How many units do they expect to sell????

DrBeatle and jon9091 like this.
  13. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Weird on every level. This is just ponderous...

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  14. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I didn't say that I don't like it but I still think it is a sort of "hardcore" prog track. I think "Shadow Of The Hierophant" would have been a better choice.

15. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

So disappointed. When when when will we get an official release of the six of the best gig? There MUST have been a recording of this off the desk....the Fade version is good, but I would pay good money for an official release, on vinyl...with a Paul Whitehead cover....24 page full colour booklet....

Ignore me, its just a crazy dream.

New compilation album, hurrah!!!!!

16. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I actually like the cover. Just a little upset that they are releasing this rather than full length studio albums. If that comes a little bit later, I will say, "bravo", though.

Bewaremylove likes this.
  18. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

As mentioned earlier they each got 3 solo selections. That's not a lot. Obviously there will be big songs that don't make the cut and not because they don't like it.

19. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I said this earlier in the thread, but I think this release is meant to be an explicit companion/soundtrack to the BBC documentary. The fact that it's chronological just reinforces the connection to a documentary that chronicles the history of Genesis "together and apart." For fans of the band, this release is pointless. But for the casual viewer who watches the documentary, I can see how a set like this might have some appeal.

ProgDave74 likes this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It seems like this is their version of The Stones-Grrrr.

qtrules likes this.
  21. Daniel Plainview and DrBeatle like this.
  22. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I am just a casual fan of some of Genesis' output (and some of Gabriel's and Collins'), but even I find this a very strange beast of a compilation! "Easy Lover" on the same album as "Supper's Ready" is like making a Beatles (and after...) compilation and including both A Day In The Life and The Frog Song.

kwadguy likes this.
  23. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This pic from that link cracked me up :biglaugh::biglaugh:

[​IMG]

24. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Easy Lover on Disc 2? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (A good pop song but doesn't belong here at all).

Signal To Noise on Disc 3? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (It is a sublime, brilliant, beautiful piece of music and doesn't deserve to be here).

25. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I gave up on Genesis a long time ago as a source of anything 'new' that was musically interesting - this 'major announcement' certainly changes nothing. Short of any new music or some further live archive releases (both highly unlikely IMO) I'm simply going to have to be happy with what's already available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.