"Why don't you play something decent?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rbp, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

"Please honey, not the Stooges..."

Complier likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I would pay good money for a music magazine that featured your sister reviewing records.

Reading this thread, I realize how lucky I am. I met my wife of 32 years at a record store. I had placed an ad in the store's in-house paper: "Kate Bush fan with records, videos, would like to meet other fans to buy, trade." She wrote back, I called her and our first meeting was at the store - she was standing by the Kate Bush section.

We're going to see Kate September 2nd.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because no one recognized "My Sweet Lord", the song right before "Awaiting..."? :)

4. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

'What is this crap? Who is this? A singing nun?' (My wife's review of Joni Mitchell's Hejira)

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Who can blame her ?

6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

You have to tell us who she is (and the band)!

7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

My wife's response to Jethro Tull - "That's just awful!"
    Her response to Led Zeppelin - "Please change that to something else!"

8. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

But this wouldn't be far from the truth wouldn't it? ;)

9. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

My teenage daughter likes more of 'my' music than my wife does. :) About a quarter of my old CDs are in her room now. I have to get on her from time to time to make sure they are put away, and not left out of their cases.

My wife and I do have some overlap. I've just learned to play AC/DC, Nirvana, Van Halen or something Ozzy related when we go someplace together, then she doesn't whine.
    But, I've gotten complaints from her for everything from Elliott Smith to Al Green to The Damned. On the occasions that she asks to play something she likes, I'll do it without complaining, but she knows I don't like it. She likes country, I only like Johnny Cash. She likes hip-hop/rap, I only like the old school stuff like Ice-T or NWA. I can't get into bands like Bring Me The Horizon at all, but she loves 'em.

10. Brian Hamilton-Smith

Brian Hamilton-Smith Forum Resident

Yup...same with sex in my marriage.

11. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

maybe 1 out of 5. I thought it was a good plan, but it takes a lot of effort to get her sit down and listen to a record. I've sold back most of the modern indy titles i've gotten for her, but now when I am playing something we both enjoy, I just point out that it's one of hers. Paul Simon's Graceland for instance.

to be honest my section for the 1 year old jives with the rest of my musical collection moreso than the items which have been there on her behalf.

i like the two systems approach, which is great because she likes mp3s thru computer speakers volume.

jupiterboy likes this.
  12. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

'Is the fridge on the blink? .......Or is it Eno again??'

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

i'm pretty close music wise with my significant other.

14. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

So far , her responses don't seem out of line.

user33977 and paulisme like this.
  15. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

My wife has great taste in music, grew up with hippies. She's actually turned me on to a lot of music.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  16. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

that's a really beautiful story. and comforting to know that this site isn't entirely composed of users who need someone at home to discuss music with!

I saw an older couple in the record store a few weeks ago thumbing through the Beatles section trying to find something they needed to buy or did not have a better version of... it was nearly adorable.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My daughter's decided she hates music. I suspect it is a passive aggressive way of getting at me, since she has oppositional defiant disorder and she knows how much I love music. She claims songs give her earworms, so she doesn't want to hear music. There's also the battle over the entertainment center, but that doesn't explain why she gets mad when I play music in the car. She's even taken to humming tunelessly to drown out whatever's playing.

John B Good likes this.
  18. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

No, i made sure to marry a woman who had good taste in music. There are a few things that she doesn't like of mine (some metal acts/industrial stuff/middle of the road pop that i occasionally like), but my taste is so wide and varied that it works out just fine and i'll just play those albums when she's not home. On the flip side, i like virtually everything my wife is into (60's psych, 70's and 80's classic rock and punk) so there are rarely issues there.

To be honest, a woman with bad taste in music would probably be a deal breaker for me. LOL

T'mershi Duween and druboogie like this.
  19. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

"Why do you listen to that hippie psychedelic crap...are you on drugs?" Just because Pink Floyd & The Dead are two of my favorite bands, it does not mean I do drugs (I don't), am directionless (i'm not) and a slacker (I'm not).

I hate, hate, hate this stereotype, especially the ones where you have to be on good drugs to listen to the Dead's music.

Erik B. likes this.
  20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

For my wife and I, our musical tastes are a Venn diagram. There's some music that we both like, and stuff we each like that the other doesn't care for. My wife doesn't care for prog, fusion, Grateful Dead or most jazz. I don't care for Madonna at all, and can only stand Adele, Celine and Faith Hill in very small doses.

So what I've done is construct playlists of material we both like (yet another advantage to a high quality digital library). That's what we play in the car when we're together, or Saturday mornings when we read the paper together. Easy peasy. No need to gratuitously inflame one's partner. There's too much good music out there to not find some common ground and enjoy that together.

avalanche and Andersoncouncil like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Floyd and The Dead are a drug in itself, but no harmful effects in this case :thumbsup:

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I once dated a woman who thought jazz began and ended with Grover Washington Jr. His stuff was pleasant enough and all that, but when I asked her about Coltrane, Adderley, etc., she said "who?"

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  23. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Yes, many super models frequent the Hoffman boards.

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  24. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Ugh, what is that sh#t! Turn it OFF; the neighbors might hear it too. You've made me hate ALL music. I believe she will never like anything she hasn't heard played on a pop radio station or tv and she has ultra-sensitive hearing powers.

25. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I dont know whether his is scary or not. What is someones interests when they dont enjoy ANY music at all?

If I cant find someone that I can either enjoy my music with, and get music from, or at least someone that doesnt mind music as background noise, I might never get married. I have no fear of growing old alone. My current gf likes a lot of country, and other alternative songs that I dont know. I cant stand it in the car. Whats worse, she listens to words, I dont, so she takes songs I listen to way too seriously. I need to hook her ipod to my system to see if I can stand it as back ground music if it isnt in my face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.