Robin Williams RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hutlock, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks AKA, I had missed the broadcast.

AKA likes this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

What letterman said was great. The clip montage was a bit cheesy though with the slow motion laughing. Noticed that like Conan, NBC loaned Dave some of the early clips

Vidiot and zebop like this.
  3. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I would love to see and hear the complete filming of the Don't Worry Be Happy video with Robin, sans music. At times, it looks like it was hysterical chaos

5. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I watched Dead Poets Society last night in memory of Robin. The ending of that film never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

I totally forgot that Robin was in that video! Watching it right now. :)

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I remember back when MTV was in it's early stage they played the crap out of that video...I can still see Robin in my memory boppin in the video...

9. junk

junk Hellion

I move on . The dead offers no life for me....with all due respect...

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Robin will live forever in his films...

zebop and junk like this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And in this thread getting bumped every 24 hours. :laugh:

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  12. Mark Nelson

Went to the free JUMANJI screening at the 900-seat classic movie theater in our town, where part of JUMANJI was filmed (the downtown chaos/stampede scenes).
    The place was packed, and thunderous applause and cheers greeted the title appearing onscreen, our town appearing onscreen for the first time, and Williams' first
    appearance. Standing ovation when the film ended. Great to see this again with an appreciative crowd.

bluejeanbaby and Olompali like this.
  13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

You're in or near Keene, NH....saw a news report on this.

14. Mark Nelson

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Cable tv showed "One-Hour Photo" this week as part of a Robin Williams tribute. That was a creepy one, but nicely acted and quite a departure for him.

Mr. H likes this.
  16. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Fans should tune in to the Emmy Awards tonight -- Billy Crystal will be doing a televised tribute during the broadcast.

Mr. H likes this.
  18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm disappointed. I thought it was a brave and compassionate statement and he has nothing to apologize for.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Compassionate HOW? I thought it was rude and disrespectful. I doubt that Robin's GROWN children appreciate his "brave and compassionate statement".

greatmuta and AKA like this.
  20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't see where Williams's children being grown diminishes the impact of his death upon them, but we disagree and I'll leave it there.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Brave in what way? Compassionate in what way? I think his statement was the opposite of brave or compassionate.

greatmuta and AKA like this.
  22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Not sure about compassionate, but brave because he's entitled to an opinion, regardless of how unpopular it might be. And to me he makes a good point about how suicide affects others. I agree with him. I still appreciate Williams' work and career. But I can't say I appreciate him as a person, especially considering I never knew him personally.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Rollins' statement is compassionate towards the children.

That said, it assumes the person taking their life is of sound mind at the time. Williams was clinically depressed. He was ill. And his illness prevented him from making a rational choice. If he was clinically severely depressed, then he didn't consider his children when he took his life because his illness didn't allow him to consider his children. He could only think of himself.

This sounds ridiculous and irrational to anyone who has never dealt with someone who's severely clinically depressed. How could you both be a good person and put yourself ahead of your children? But the illness forces you into a myopic, narcissistic hole.

Collector Man likes this.
  24. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I regard Robin Williams, 'when documented , ad-libbing' , reacting to any immediate given moment or situation - producing comedy at the blistering speed of micro-seconds: showed without a doubt, he was one of the greatest comic geniuses' , ever created in the 20th Century.
    So many other regarded 'comedians' we have witnessed ,when making comparison : their performances were / or still can be seen as documents of contrived, much laboured - over, heavy handed and over -rehearsed tired stale attempts.... at being funny.

Yet Williams could turn to full dramatic film acting in things like Good Will Hunting, Dead Society's Poets, Insommnia, Final Cut and One Hour Photo and produce new surprising shafts of subtle meaning into such as these type characters- he played. He was showing to the world, he was "no hack - either" when turning his attention to such non comic characters.
    I firmly beleive that as the years go on, the appreciation of his talent plus the full extent of that loss - will gain still much wider recognition and greater respect.

25. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

So who saw Billy Crystal's tribute at the Emmys? He sure did appear to be struggling to keep himself even. And the silence from the audience was almost unbearable to watch/hear. Tells me all are shocked and affected by his untimely passing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.