Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I got the Sidewinder MM33 on right now, first spin. Smoking!!!

2. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

The Denon Dl-110 really sings with this album.

3. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

They used the same stickers because the series is limited to the same amount: 2,500. Just ask MM if you are in doubt.

4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I will check, I'm sorry if I'm mistaken about this :(

What seems to have caused this confusion was this email from Ron (Music Matters) to another forum member that was posted here in SHF earlier when the 33rpm series was announced.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Depends if you want to replace titles you already own with superior sounding versions, or simply add to your collection. I've got about a dozen of the MM 45s and they do sound great but it's a lot of money (for me at least) and of course the titles are only a small subset of what was released. If, for example, you mostly have the RVG CDs, then even the BN 75s will likely be a big step up in SQ. There's only a few MM 33s at this stage but already I'm seeing a relatively conservative selection of titles unfortunately and aside from needing to replace a damaged Classic Records 33 of 'Somethin' Else', I'm not too drawn to the selection so far. Personally, and for the money, I'd prefer to get a wider selection of music rather than replicate with a second or third superior version... But then again, those MM 45s do sound really good!

My (probably futile) wish is that MM will do a 33 of Sheila Jordan / Portrait of Sheila. I'd be all over that one! I'm not holding my breath though.

goldwax and Josquin des Prez like this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

There are so many war horses out there now, I would love to see titles that are more off the beaten track. This is one of them.

theron d likes this.
  7. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

You can have the loading changed by simply replacing the resistors. Perhaps there is a tech nearby that can do that for you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  8. Josquin des Prez

OMG...you went off-topic. You could get scolded for that. <duck> :D

Manelus and tubesandvinyl like this.
  9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I run my Concerto V2 with 100 ohm loading on my tube phono stage. It sounds amazing, and a ton better than at 47K. The 33 BNs I have sound absolutely stellar, even though these new pressings reveal flaws in original recordings, such as the distortion on GG's guitar.

Mistercleen: the odd comment about cartridge loading, etc is not going off topic in a thread that discusses the sound quality of a record. The sonics of a record hinge on an optimally set up system.

10. Josquin des Prez

I think it comes down to phonostage also. When Keith Herron was over, we tried some different loadings, down to 300Ω. The lower we went the more dynamics and timing suffered. At higher loading there is more air, better soundstage, and detail. On complex, densely textured passages everything is much more well defined and musical. With lower loading values, things get a bit muddled together, and more tame. It never sounds bad though.

11. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Ok, I've checked with Music Matters and they have confirmed the information that the 33rpm series is indeed limited to 3500 units per title, the sticker was a mistake.

I hope this helps :)

antielectrons likes this.
  12. antielectrons

Guys, the discussions about turntable needles and the like are getting boring... I subscribed to a thread about the MM LPs, not What-Hifi.

13. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Sure, but not before we thoroughly explore the physiology of the inner ear.

timmikid, ultron9, Em. and 1 other person like this.
  14. antielectrons

Any feedback on Undercurrent?

15. Josquin des Prez

I have a test pressing and it sounds excellent. I have not compared it to the 45 RPM, which i also have.

My subscription copy is due for delivery at work today, but I'm not there so I'll have to wait until Monday for it.

antielectrons likes this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

OK. I just listened to the tune "Undercurrent" back to back on the 33 RPM test pressing and my original MM 45 RPM. With the 33 it's like a veil was lifted. There is more air, dynamics, more well-defined soundstage, and better definition and detail in the instruments. The 45 sounds slightly tame in comparison. The solos all sound more energetic too. The trumpet is especially distinctive. If anything, the tone of the tenor is a little better on the 45, but take that with a grain of salt. My cartridge is still breaking in and I expect it will smooth out more in the top end, negating what I just said.

Assuming the production 33 sounds the same as the test pressing you will be quite pleased with this release.

SergioRZ, theron d, MikeJedi and 3 others like this.
  17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I will be listening with my the wife and Lucky the dog this weekend.. will report back my findings.. :)

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have Jackie McLean's One Step Beyond and Stanley Turrentine's Look Out! on the way. I only have the McLean on cd
    so looking forward to these. I have cherry picked from the beginning. Great as they are, I didn't want to pay for everyone they made as I have some originals already so I didn't want to replicate titles unless I thought they were significantly inferior. I think I've bought all the "edgy" titles in hoping it encourages MM of taking more chances. If they have to sell some more common titles to keep the doors open then I say fine by me.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  19. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Would be interested in what everyone hopes will get released on the MM33 once the first 12 are released...ie edgier titles, more obscure titles....

Andrew Hill
    Bobby Hutcherson
    Pete LaRoca

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    mistercleen and ultron9 like this.
  20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the McMaster Blue Note lps from 2008 (I believe) with the new batch? I have the McMaster Somethin' Else and it's smokin' (and not $35). Haven't heard the new one yet.

21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Somethin Else and Cool Struttin are the last two in the series that have not been released yet...then Maiden Voyage

22. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I've said it before, several times, and I'll say it again; Bobby Hutcherson's "The Kicker"!

23. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

Em. and theron d like this.
  24. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Ronald R. are you listening (fingers crossed) :)

TimArruda and Em. like this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

Sam Rivers "Contours"
    Herbie Hancock "My Point of View"
    Wayne Shorter "Schizophrenia"
    Ornette Coleman "At the Golden Circle Stockholm" Vols. 1 & 2
    Cecil Taylor, "Unit Structures" and "Conquistador"
    Don Cherry "Complete Communion"

more Bobby Hutcherson and Andrew Hill.

to name just a few of the top of my head.