New "Stargate" movie trilogy on the way

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Taurus, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

"MGM, Warner Bros. Launching 'Stargate' Trilogy With Roland Emmerich to Direct"

Sounds good but please, please don't do a reboot.

I was kind of "meh" about the original movie, but loved the TV series that followed* (a 10 year run for Stargate SG-1 alone!), and hope they follow that set of stories.

* though personally Stargate: Universe was too dark story-wise for me and I could barely get through most episodes

2. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I actually liked Stargate Universe. It might not have been the best choice for a series, but perhaps if they'd done it as a film trilogy the storyline might have worked a little better.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hasn't all this been done before? Can't they come up with a new idea?

robertawillisjr likes this.
  4. The movie with Kurt Russell is still very effective Hollywood entertainment. I would have preferred another television series.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree, no reboot, keep it in the same storyline as the various series and original film.

I grew to like Universe, a real shame they axed it.

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Wrong director on a not necessary project.

A couple of SG-Universe TV movies would be better.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    Deesky and wayneklein like this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Other articles I'm reading are referring to it as a "reimagining" or a "reboot." That's disappointing.

8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Why can't they "reimagine" something new. Even if they use the same "Universe". Forget the old characters and plots and locations.

9. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Loved the movie, could never get into the series. The movie soundtrack is brilliant. Hope they get David Arnold on board. If they can get Spader and Russell and take it in a different direction, it would be one of the few films I actually go to the theater to see.

10. It wouldn't surprise me if they have one of those guys in the first new film as a supporting character.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

A friend of mine like Stargate.
    I'll pass the info along to him.
    Thanks for the link.

Darryl

Laibach likes this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Always enjoyed the movie....

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think it's a little late. I enjoyed the movie immensely .
    What can they do? what hasn't been on the three tv series.
    I watched all 3 Stargate series and some stories I just had turn another channel
    Stargate SG1 was on too long. Atlantis needed one more season.
    Stargate Universe was pure crap.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, this. I really liked SG-Universe, much more so that the previous series (though I did like SG-1 for a number of seasons before it got stale).

SG-Universe was to the star-gate franchise what DS9 was to the Trek franchise - a more grown up, shades of gray character exploration.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just rewatched the original 1994 movie for the first time since it was in theaters, and thought it had moments but was really weird and derivative. It's very peculiar to see James Spader as a smartass history expert in his 20s, mirroring almost the identical role Jeff Goldblum had in Independence Day.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I had to laugh when I read that. Doesn't James Spader always play a smartass! For example, he was in his 20s when he played a well-to-do smartass in Pretty in Pink.

18. Drew

Drew Senior Member

derivative is the word. the first half was Raiders of the Lost Ark and the second half was Star Wars. I saw the movie in the theaters and hated it so and never watched any of the series. were they derivative too?

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And now he's an older smartass in The Blacklist -- and playing the role exceptionally well. It's a crime that he wasn't nominated for an Emmy.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, but The Blacklist is a crappy show (with rare standout episodes) and is only elevated above total dross by Spader's performance (which often veers into Bond villain territory).

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, I think The Blacklist is a pretty good show overall. But I would agree it falls short when Spader is not in the episode enough.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I like it enough that I continue to watch it, but I sure could do without the forced Keen 'happy families' subplot and that someone else in the FBI would actually show some intelligence...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.