NEW ENGLAND: best CD pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pirosmani, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirosmani

pirosmani Member Thread Starter

any recomendations?:help:

2. pirosmani

pirosmani Member Thread Starter

3. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

perhaps a tad bit more information on what you are asking about would be helpful? :shh:

4. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Are you referring the band New England that released three albums: S/T, Explorer Suite and Walking Wild? I have the vinyl when these were originally issued but never seen them on CD.

5. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

And there Wishbone Ash's "New England" lp, also.

As I said......

6. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

I have a New England cd....I was not aware of other editions though.....

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

They were released on CD by a reissue label (Wounded Bird?) a couple years ago and are still available AFAIK. I have a Japanese pressing of S/T that sounds great.

8. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Well, the debut album - New Enlgand - was only issued originally on CD as a Japanese import on MCA records (MVCM-346) in 1993.

It was later re-issued in the U.S. on Renaissance Records (RMED00187) in 1998.

Of the two, the Japanese pressing is definitely the way to go. Not only is the sound a bit better, but the graphics are as well. The Renaissance version look very cheaply reproduced, but, on the other hand, can be had far more easily and cheaply, too. You can often pick a copy up on E-bay directly from the manufacturer for about $5.

The other two albums - Explorer Suite (2nd) and Walking Wild (3rd) - were first issued on CD in 1998 via GBMusic (GB1000 and GB1001 respectively), and were officially licensed and sanctioned by the band. These sound and look great!

GBMusic would also release a couple other CDs. One called 1978, which was essentially the demo version of the debut album, plus a few other unreleased tracks. The other is called Greatest Hits Live an was taken from a show recorded on their tour of the first album. Given the limits and quality of the original production of the source material, they are good but not essential listening, unless you're a real fan of the band or completeist.

Wounded Bird acquired the rights to reissue Explorer Suite and Walking Wild after GBMusic's license ran out, as they have an ongoing deal with Elektra (and WEA) to produce reissues from their catalog. I have not heard these versions. personally, but given what product I do own from Wounded Bird, they should be decent.

For more info on the band, here's their website... http://www.newenglandrocks.com/

art likes this.
  9. The original New England 'S/T' CD released in Japan on MCA is the better sounding version on CD. The U.S. 1998 CD is not bad sounding, plus it has a remix of 'Don't Ever Wanna Losa Ya'. If you can find the U.S. 1998 CD of the 'S/T' album for a reasonable price, I would pick it up.

As for 'Explorer Suite', and 'Walking Wild', both albums released on CD by GBMusic, are the ones to get. The artwork on the CD itself, and the liner notes in the booklets, are miles ahead of those of the Wounded Bird reissues. I have both 'Explorer Suite', and 'Walking Wild' on the Wouded Bird label, and they both have unique mastering as those on the GBMusic label. I haven't done an A/B test of them yet, but on listening to the Wounded Bird issues, on a stand alone basis, they both sound very good.

10. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Oh man !! NEW ENGLAND baby !! I still have all the lps (promos for 1 or 2 of them). Will have to look at doing needle drops or checking out these CDs someday. Great post Rocketdog. :righton: I might have even seen them live opening for someone else way back then ...

Gotta love SHF for mentions of bands like this. :D

11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Sadly, the only time I got to see them live was opening for KISS on the Dynasty tour - but they were great! I've got all the vinyl, too. Great underrated band that never quite got their due.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I believe the first album was produced by Paul Stanley.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

14. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Oh man, that might be the tour ... :hide:

Just looked, I have just the 1st one and a Live promo disc with 6 tracks total, maybe 32 min total. Same thing?

15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Could be, just a shorter version of it. Here's the track listing...

Alone Tonight
    Shoot
    Hello Hello Hello
    The Last Show
    Encore
    Hey You're On The Run
    Shall I Run Away
    Nothing To Fear
    Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya
    Explorer Suite
    P.U.N.K.
    You'll Be Born Again

16. Duan

Duan Forum Resident

Hi, to everyone
    just for the records
    Renaissance and japan MCA shares the same mastering

here are the peaks (without the extra track of the renaissance issue)
    99.3 - 100.0 - 97.9 - 100.0 - 97.0 - 100.0 - 100.0 - 98.1 - 98.8 - 100.0

17. New England (the band), have reunited, and are currently making an attempt to put together an official tour. They just finished the first official reunion concert on August 15th, at the Regent Theater in the Boston area. They sound as great as ever, and are hinting at possibly putting out an album of all new material. I for one as am excited as he!!.

Here's a performance from the Regent concert on August 15th, 2014...It is so awesome seeing these guys together on stage again. Please fellow forum members, show these guys all the love you can!

jeffrey walsh, thgord and Rocketdog like this.
  18. The first new song from New England in 33 years!

Rocketdog likes this.
  19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Oh, I wanted to go to that show so bad, but just couldn't swing it. The good news is that they are planning more shows, and hopefully I'll be able to catch one of those. Been listening to all three of their studio albums a lot this week, though. They still hold up, and I can't believe they never hit bigger.

Scott J likes this.
  20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I saw them open for KISS at Madison Square Garden in 1979. This was my first arena show, so New England were the very first band I ever saw play in an arena. I couldn't believe how LOUD they were..

Scott J likes this.
  21. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I saw them open for KISS here in Maine on the same tour. It was my first ever arena concert, as well.

Scott J likes this.
  22. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Man....the dudes hair still there and still looking the same! With some added grey of course. The keyboard player went on to play with Alcatrazz.

Scott J likes this.
  23. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

As did bass player Gary Shea. Both also played with drummer Hirsh Gardner in a short lived project with Vinnie Vincent (former KISS guitarist) called Warrior. John Fannon had left New England, and the three wanted to carry on, and hooked up with Vincent. Material was recorded, but it never made it past the demo stage

Scott J likes this.
  24. Gardner has had a good career producing records in the Boston area.

Scott J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.