The Fall on BBC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by craigval2, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigval2

craigval2 New Member Thread Starter

Has anyone been watching this amazing series? Five part series starring Gillian Anderson. That was season one and I can't wait for season two. The female detective is chasing a serial killer. I watched it on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Great show

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, good show, as is Line Of Duty (probably even better).

4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I thought it was awful with a poor ending

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess we are starting to watch Season 2. We saw the first 'season' some time ago, to the extent that it was challenging to remember what lead to what. As well, thanks to a foul-up with the broadcaster or cable company. Our DVR seemed to stop recording perhaps 15 minutes before the episode ended.

Anyway, I'm finding Gillian Anderson's acting style hard to take, and the as usual incredibly adept and lucky serial killer schtick very annoying.

Thomas D likes this.
  6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I enjoyed the first series and will try to remain unspoiled until the second one plays here. I also like the 10CD set of BBC recordings by The Fall, and wasn't sure which one I'd be replying to here :)

Dudley Morris and Echo like this.
  7. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

I'm really enjoying this. In all the fuss made by certain parts of the Media (okay, The Guardian) about the quality of the recent Scandinavian crime shows, we seem to have forgotten that we used to do good, rather grim shows of our own, like The Messiah with the wonderful Ken Stott - and I see this as another example (without wishing to denigrate at all the so-called Scandi-noir stuff I've been enjoying).

Wish Anderson would do another X-Files movie, though...

8. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Really? I didn't realize they had come out with the second season yet. This would be good news!

9. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Looking forward to seeing season 2. FYI Netflix Jan 16.

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You mean... this ISN'T about Mark E. Smith???

Edit: Now that I think about it... how COOL would THAT be?; if Gillian Anderson played Mark E. Smith!!!

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

She plays his missing teeth.

12. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I'm hooked on it. Superb series, and enjoying Season 2. Surely Mark E. Smith was deserving of a cameo? Still time, of course...

13. John B Good

For those who haven't seen the end, and are bothered by SPOILERS, don't look below, close your eyes now

That was it? :(

Spector was killed by the lunatic spouse abuser, after he had spilled all to Gibson in return for a visit from his daughter?

What ever happened to the corrupt cop story?

14. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

You should use the 'spoiler' option under INSERT instead of just spacing down a few lines and dropping the end to the season for all to read. Thankfully I stopped as I started to read your text but I think I saw enough to ruin it unfortunately.

The spoiler option under INSERT hides your text and each reader can choose to reveal the text you wrote (or not).

MRamble and IronWaffle like this.
  15. John B Good

Thanks, I didn't know where that feature was.

IronWaffle likes this.
  16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

It's not a big deal, but I think my brain automatically keeps reading when it's told to not too!

17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I don't know what to make of Gillian Anderson in this - she is either brilliant
    or absolutely dreadful. I'm tending to lean towards the latter. They might just
    as well as cast another `Brit', Madonna.

GuinnessDan likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought she was pretty good. What you may be reacting to is her character, which comes off as rather cold and detached, as is the general tone of the series. She's also got 'male' issues which in fact is perfectly portrayed in the final episode of series 2. Overall a good series if a little slow/boring at times and the usual dirge-like soundtrack that most dramatic Brit series use adds to that feeling.

And poor old 'Kalinda' can't seem to escape the lesbian/bi typecast she developed in The Good Wife! :)

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I watched all six episodes yesterday, even though I had serious problems with Episode 1 and almost bailed. It's nowhere near as good as the first series, but I do like how they seek to understand the motivations of the killer (although ultimately they fail to connect the dots). I found the ending predictable, unfortunately, and the final couple of scenes a little over the top. Bringing back the Jimmy character was unnecessary, and seems to have been done simply so he could do what he did in the last 3 minutes of the finale.

20. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I've seen the first season and just got a notice from Netflix that season 2 is available. With no football next weekend, I will probably binge watch it. There are so many good British shows available now, it's really a blessing. Check out 'Broadchurch' if you get a chance.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Series 2 has already begun in the UK. It will be shown on BBC America on March 4.

Coricama likes this.
  22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Great news! I didn't expect a second season after the way the first season ended.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some do say that they should have left it at that, but I guess with the type of success and attention series 1 received, it was inevitable. I think the show is good to above average, but far from perfect.

Coricama likes this.
  24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I just read that there is talk of a Series 3 of The Fall, but nothing confirmed as of yet. I hope they resist the urge to continue this storyline and instead continue on to another case. Or just end the thing at 2 series. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thomas D likes this.
  25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Only thing I've ever watched on BBC is Top Gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.