Rega P1 Upgrade Kit...worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

So I've had my P1 for about 5-6 years now and am thinking of purchasing the upgrade kit. Comes with a new Bias 2 cart, wool slip mat and belt. Has anyone bought this kit? Just curious if it's worth it. I'd prefer not to hear "use that money towards a new turntable" comments as it's not in the budget right now.

2. Crazyhorse11

Also looking for a new preamp under 250. Thoughts?

3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Have you made any changes or added anything to the table since you bought it or is it still stock? For example, do you use a glass platter? Ortofon om5e cart?

4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Pre-amp Emotive xps-1 for $150
    Rega upgrade kit - $200 or you can go with what's listed below:

Glass platter can be bought for $60
    White belt for $50 - also check out the Edwards blue belter
    Cartridges - Nagaoka MP110 for $100; Shure 97xe for $70
    Homemade 1/8 inch cork platter mat $3 - buy a sheet at a hobby or crafts or fabric store and make your own

When funds allow - Tangospinner subplatter $100

My 7 year old p1 has everything I've listed except the blue belt - very satisfied with what I'm getting from it.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  5. Crazyhorse11

6. Crazyhorse11

Thanks kindly. Great suggestions. I was going for the Rega Kit for mostly convenience (from my local record shop). However will look into each of your suggestions more closely and possibly source online. I never even thought about making my own slip mat from a roll of cork. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

This is an example of where I'd like to say to someone, "Bring your table over and some of your records. We'll hitch up your table, listen to some tunes, and then we'll play your records on my table so you could hear differences." We could put my platter, belt, etc. on your table so you could try it. Unfortunately CA is not just down the street. LOL!

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I've made two changes to my P1. First was an Ortofon stylus upgrade, the other was a white belt. Both made a noticeable difference.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.