New Peachtree gear... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jimbutsu, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE Thread Starter

So Peachtree is replacing the Nova125 and theDecco65 with a Nova125se and a Nova65se. I almost pulled the trigger on a Nova 125 recently, since I'm quite interested in a good stereo amp and a DAC (was also kicking around an Outlaw/Bifrost combo), but held off when I saw new models were on the way... anyone hear anything about the new ones or have Peachtree thoughts in general?

2. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Had the Decco65 paired with Zu Omens. Didn't work for me - a tad bass shy and a little "thin" sounding to my ears. But it is nice looking, especially w/ the upgraded wood case.

jimbutsu likes this.
  3. jimbutsu

This was my reservation with the Decco - that it might be a bit tinny - and why I was gravitating towards the Nova... anyone know if the ostensibly improved amplification on the Nova hold up well?

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Not a fan of class d. Or integrateds with build-in dac's. Peachtree gear traditionally has low resale value (too many new models).

For another hundred bucks you could get a Parasound A32 amp and P5 preamp (with dac, and phono input, and subwoofer controls).

beowulf and Doctorcilantro like this.
  5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Low resale is relative. I know because I just sold my Decco65 for nickels! Problem is the availability of refurb in their site. I can't expect to get a decent price used when I can order one online for half price - shipped.

Still the Decco65 was damn near perfect door a small system. My only issue was that I didn't really enjoy it for long sessions. Once I moved to the Cronos I realized that the "in your face sound" was incredible for short periods, but the slightly more laid back sound was much better. I found the same with my Anthem AVR, when I aDded the D240 power amp, it was just more " musical " (God, I have "audio snob words"! :d ).

6. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

I reviewed the nova125 last year for Tone. Since then they've updated the model, but if budget is a concern you can buy a refurbished for $900. I will say that Peachtree's class D output works for a wider range of speakers than other class D amps I've reviewed and owned. You can try one out for 30 days to hear for yourself, let your own ears be the judge.

7. jimbutsu

I did actually end up with the 125SE, and I've been quite happy with it overall, though I have noticed some fatigue on occasion if I listen long- though I will readily admit I am often not listening at appropriate levels for a system of any quality, and that's probably got a lot more to do with it. When you wanna rock out, you wanna rock out.

8. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

If you want to stick with class d, you can buy something like a gently used Bel Canto S300iu integrated for the price of a Nova125. That will be money well spent, and the Bel Canto is made in the US (if that matters to you). If you decide to sell it, you will recoup most of your money back.

Also, a Rega Brio-R is cheaper than the Nova125. I'd get that over the Nova.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  9. jimbutsu

Both of those options would have me more limited than I wanted to be with respect to a DAC, and addressing that would have got me up into the same price territory of what I sunk into the 125SE, which I'm quite happy with. I also like the 125WPC, which the Rega couldn't give me. That said, I don't question that they all have their own favorable traits that make them good choices.

StereoFanOregon likes this.
  10. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Guess I sold mine at the right time. Got $750 a few months ago before the new models came out.

11. BayouTiger

Nice! Timing is everything. I should have just kept mine as a preamp. The Peachtree DACs are very good. I just bought a DACMagic 100, but now that the DACitx is the same price, I would have got the Peachtree for the remote.

econalan likes this.
  12. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Thanks. Yeah, for once in my life I had good timing on financial transaction (albeit a minor one). I'm not sure about using it as a dedicated preamp; I was never completely happy w/ the volume control - not as precise (?) as I would've liked. Like you, I did like the DAC. Thought it sounded pretty good streaming apple ALAC through Apple TV via optical or USB from my laptop.

13. BayouTiger

Agree. Their stuff is so close to being awesome! Add a fixed monitor output and one more analog in and it would be really a killer little box!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.