Fans of DePalma's "Obsession"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

The '76 homage to Hitchcock that starred Cliff Robertson and Genieve Bujold, I last saw it back in the mid-90's and loved it. I thought about the movie tonight and ordered it. :righton: A film you don't often see mentioned.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bernard Herrmann's score makes it.
    Don't think Hitch liked the quasi homage.

RickH likes this.
  3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I need to buy this film. And wait for the score to be reissued...

4. alexpop

The Fury bd is on my want list.
    Also, Body Double & Femme Fatale
    DePalma wants to do a Steve McQueen ( actor) type movie with Jason Statham.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've owned the DVD for years, but have only watched it once.... and that was so long ago that I barely remember anything about the movie. I really need to dig out my DePalma collection and revisit some of the titles I haven't seen for a while.

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Always thought this was a great movie. It has been years since I have seen it. It doesn't seem to get shown very often on any of the cable movie channels.

7. alexpop

What's is it with Cliff Robertson's hair, seems to have a life of its own.

8. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

I LOVE it, and man that score......it's intense times infinity....I have 2 soundtrack lp's and a cd...the cd is probably a bootleg, don't think this have ever had an official cd release :confused:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I remember reading a quote from Genevieve Bujold, she had seen the movie before the score was in, and she said she was deeply disappointed....then she saw the movie with Bernhard Herrmann's finished score, and everything made sense. I think she said that Herrmann gave the movie it's heart
    [​IMG]

RickH likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You know these are both OOP, and won't be released again for 3 to 5 years, per licensing agreements.

10. Maybe Twilight Time will reissue these like they are planning with some of the other titles that went out of print.

Myke likes this.
  11. Obsession is available on BD in a region free for those interested. Looks very nice, great extras.

RickH and Myke like this.
  12. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

Genevieve Bujold, who attended the scoring sessions, purportedly said “Mr. Herrmann, he [Cliff Robertson] wouldn’t make love to me – but you made love to me with your music.” This is said to have moved the otherwise gruff Bernard Herrmann to tears. From A Heart at Fire’s Center: The Life and Music of Bernard Herrmann by Steven C. Smith.

It’s certainly a powerful score that’s worthy of a carefully prepared CD reissue. To my mind, the score demonstrates that Herrmann was at the top of his game at the very end of his life. After falling out of favour with Hitchcock and new pop-music infused trends in Hollywood, it was to be a brief period where the composer found work from a new generation of filmmakers that utilised his bold and emotive music to help tell their stories.

GullGutt and RickH like this.
  13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Not to be confused with the most recent DePalma.....what was it called....
    `Possession'?! Dreadful movie.....

14. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

It's my favorite DePalma film. Most of his films, I liked initially, until Scarface, which turned me off to him. I find it hard to watch any of them other than Obsession & Carrie, mainly very bad acting. Obsession is the only one that I go back to, I haven't seen The Fury in a long, long time, so that may be a keeper.
    My girlfriend at the time, my wife now, bore a striking resemblance to Genevieve Bujold which stoked my affection for the film, it has that dreamlike quality.

RickH likes this.
  15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I would kill for a soundtrack releases from one of the current labels.

16. alexpop

Dressed To Kill starts of well.
    Yet to see 1980 Home Movies.
    Think Body Double could be his masterpiece. His last commercial success was nearly 20 years ago with Mission Impossible.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.