Poll: Do you use a Rega or a 3rd party cartridge on your Rega turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's the way I remembered it but it has been a while and my memory is as strong as that of Barney Fife. The spacer you have is not a Rega spacer, rather it looks like a zinc plated fender washer of some size. The Rega spacer is machined from stainless, not stamped, and it is exactly the same size as the base of the tonearm so it can actually look as if none is installed when in place.
    -Bill

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

No cassette player...lol!

3. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

My P3-24 came fitted with the Elys 2. Loved this setup then bought a used Exact, and things went to a whole new level of loveliness.

My next upgrade will be to the RP6, with a new Exact to go with it.

4. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

Currently using: Planar 3 - RB300 - Ortofon 2M Bronze. The cart before was the Elys2 which I never really cared for. I don't think I'll ever go back to a Rega cart, IGD is a thing of the past!

5. djemar

djemar Forum Resident

I have a Planar 3. Used a Rega Bias cartridge for a while, then switched to a Denon DL-110 and like it a lot better.

6. Art K

I have an Ortfon 2M Bronze with the Well Tempered deck and an Exact 2 with my Rega and no IGD with either.

Ntotrar and KT88 like this.
  7. robbosworth

robbosworth Forum Resident

My P3 2400 came with an Elys, but it hummed like a Grado as the arm approached the end of a side. Rega's own cartridge! Now equipped with a Shelter 201, spacer, new counterweight and new wires, and I'm a happy camper.

8. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Ortofon 2M Bronze on my Rega RP1

9. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Dyna 20x2L on RP6.

10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Went from an Ortofon 2m blue to a Nagaoka MP110 on my Rega p1 - much prefer the Nag.

11. Art K

I tried the MP110 on my Well Tempered deck and put the 2M Blue back on (now a Bronze). Absolutely hated the Nagaoka.

12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

ArtK, I was enamored with the blue at first, but then it became too bright for me - then too clinical, cold. I need to give it a try on my Technics table - my days of changing carts on the Rega deck are over with - wish there was a more simplistic, less risky way of doing a swap out on the Rega.

13. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

I'm running a Harmon Kardon T55C and the table is mint! Whoever owned this table took great care of it or never used it.
    It had a old Audio Technica AT82E that had little life left So I went into a high end audio store and had a Goldring 1012GX installed,I mainly listen to Rock (British) and the sound from this cartridge was better than anything I've heard better then the Ortofon 2M AT120E etc this cartridge sounds amazing to me that is.

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ok now running an AT33PTG/II on the RP6! Perfect!

15. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

Best catridge I've ever owned 1012GX

16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Only ever used the AT440mla cart on my Rega RP3, despite initial issues with it. It hums a bit, this is due to the lack of grounding cable. Plugging in a Rega PSU makes matters worse!

I didn't initially change anything with the setup of the AT440Mla on the Rega, but I have now.

I had an issue with the cart in the end (after about a year and a half) where the cantilever seem to just give way. It started riding very low to the record, and on the 180g stuff (that the stylus seem to dig a lot deeper into the groove) it started to bang on the underside of the cart. It started to annoy me more and more, and was driving me nuts.

I took it to my dealer in the end and asked them if they could sort it out. They ended up fitting a spacer on the back of the arm and ordered from Rega direct, a new, smaller diameter counterweight. As you might already be aware, the Rega tolarance on the lid is microscopic in adjustment! There is just no room under the lit to raise the arm by over about 2mm without the stock-standard counterweight hitting the top of the underside of the lid, meaning it does not close. Really crap design.

So the spacer was cheap (about £15), but the counterwieight (tungsten) was expensive at £70 from Rega. Even my dealer thought they where taking the pee, but apparently the price of tungsten has shot up?

Anyway, after all that the cart still banged against the vinyl, even with the extra height. Gave up in the end and order another replacement stylus direct from Audio Technica's website at £110. An expensive month!

I'm glad I got a new stylus thought, it sounds miles better now. I can't live without the AT440mla, it is such a great sounding cart, and it tracks brilliantly. No more inner groove distortion. They way I view it, if I have to shell out £110 every 2 years for a new stylus, then so be it. Its cheaper than 2 tanks-full of petrol (thats how I view it anyway, 2 years of enjoyment though!)

I've attached a pic so you can see the "other" counterweight.

[​IMG]

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Does anyone use a Rega cartridge on a non-Rega turntable?

18. Was moaning about Rega carts on another thread and may have offended some Rega cart users! Have an Ortofon bronze on my RP3. Amazing. Tracks really well, lots of detail and upper register without losing any bass response. Handles old vinyl like an old friend. Like others have said, IGD is now a thing of the past. I might get the Ortofon black when the time comes but my deck may not be sensitive enough to hear the best from it.

19. I also had that humming problem with the Ortofon. Also went worse with PSU. Dealer faffed around with PSU power cable for me and eventually sorted it. Might be worth trying.

20. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I'm thinking about getting the 2m bronze on my RP40 when the time comes. Will this raise the arm level too high to where the counterweight will hit the dust cover?

21. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

p3, was an elys now an exact.

Ntotrar likes this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Reviving this thread - seems like a good place to ask-
    What about the need for critical VTA adjustment with LOMC carts- example Ortofon Quintet. Are the spacers cutting the mustard with respect to truly optimizing the cartridge's sound?
    Also since Rega carts measure 14mm from mount to tip, and an Ortofon would measure 19.2mm, this would mean a difference of 5.2mm, just to get it nominal, more height needed for tail slightly up.
    Since the dust cover can only take 4mm of additional height until the arm counter-weight makes contact, is there a smaller, more dense counterweight available?
    I think I like the Rega build quality and turntable execution but need the detailed sound of a LOMC without having to spend ~ 2K on the Apheta.

23. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident Thread Starter

The spacers are a PITA, but you can get a set of Acoustic Signature spacers that allow 0.5mm increment adjustments - more than enough IMHO.

Yep. Also, it is extremely difficult to judge the VTA with the tapered arm, so you have to go by ear, and futzing with the spacers is no fun. Another issue is that the arm, RB303 at least, is attached to the plinth with three small short self-cutting wood screws. If you put anything more than, say, 4mm worth of spacers in, you are going to need longer screws. Messing with the screws too much can also chew up the threads in the plinth.

Oh, much less than 4mm clearance on the RP3/RP6. Pretty much any spacer will force you to use a different weight or lose the dustcover. Third party and Rega weights are available, but you are probably going to hit the cover with the Rega tungsten counterweight with a spacer thicker than 4mm.

24. Django

Django Forum Resident

I just changed the cartridge today. It was the bias 2, upgraded to elys 2. First time installing a cartridge. A little tricky, but up an running after a few minutes. Hope i did it right.

25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Use the three point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.