Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I know it's not edgy or obscure, but the 45 is unavailable so I'd very much like to see Lee Morgan's Search for the New Land.

ultron9 likes this.
  2. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

You might want to call MM directly and ask Ron. Though their website said it was OOP, when I called guess what they had available...(this was a few months ago so it may have changed since then)

MikeJedi and mikeyt like this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Understandable. It's a terrific album. I managed to snag a copy last year just before it disappeared off the shelves.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Just grabbed a copy from one of
    I just found a copy of this that was still in a bin of a local record store. I hadn't heard it before, but man, it's great. It sounds so alive!

5. Josquin des Prez

The Procrastinator is also very much worth getting.

6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'll look into that one, thanks for the tip.

7. Josquin des Prez

Which also makes me realize, a good not-so-edgy MM 33 title to request is Lee Morgan's "Cornbread"

ellingtonic and DaveOuatson like this.
  8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Search for the new Land is excellent on MM 45 , I agree I hope MM can release cornbread , I wonder how the new Blue Note 75th Anivesarry sounds from Don Was and company ?

9. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

I just received my copies of "Undercurrent" and "The Sidewinder." Both are wonderful but my copy of "Undercurrent" is really something else. Reach out and feel the music type of awesome. Thanks MM!! I'm loving my subscription. I'm really anxious to hear what the new year's lineup will be so I can budget for filling some gaps with some 45's. If you're not subscribing you certainly should be!!!

Brudy, theron d and mistercleen like this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

Those new reissues from Don Was are all digitally sourced. I'm not even interested, even though there are some great titles. Phooey on that.

There's so much that can be had that was remastered properly.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Those digital remasters are also mostly available on HDTracks, and sound great, for those who do computer audio. I've got the Bernie Grundman/Alan Yoshida digital files for the office and the Gray/Hoffman analog titles for the home.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  12. John D.

John D. Senior Member

You are right, those new Blue Note LP' that are digital sourced sound like crap.
    I bought Free For All by Art Blakey, and never plan to spin that one again. I'm totally not interested in any of these. :thumbsdow

13. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Seems like the reviews here are fairly good for these regarding sound, but the pressings are pretty bad.

14. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

To my ear, "Search For A New Land" is the best Lee Morgan album out there - and he made some good ones for Blue Note. I'd be surprised to see it reissued on 33 (surprised but not shocked), so you'll have to dig for a 45 copy. But man, IT'S WORTH IT.

15. JMCIII

They may very well sound good, right up until you compare them to an analog mastered copy...... But you are correct, the pressings done at United are pretty bad.

Joe Harley likes this.
  16. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

Looking forward to Sidewinder. The AP 45 and DSD downloads had a similar sonic profile. Which is to say, somewhat thin and anemic. The MM 33's have so much depth and impact, it'll be interesting to hear a side-by-side comparison.

The Blue Note 75th anniversary Ornette Live at the Golden Circle actually sounded decent to me. Better than the RVG CD. Although if MM did a reissue I'm sure it would blow the 75th anniversary version away.

17. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Search For The New Land is my favorite Lee Morgan album as well. I managed to get a copy of MM's 45 release and as expected it is fantastic. I also have a King Records copy from Japan which is great as well.

JMCIII likes this.
  18. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Anyone have distortion/ticks on the actual song Moanin during bass solo on right channel. This would be for the 33rpm MM version?

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm not a strict anti-digitally sourced vinyl guy, but the the new Blue Note Idle Moments sounded distorted. Plus the pressing was lousy; it had several skips. I sent it back to Amazon and ordered the Music Matters 33 1/3 Idle Moments. Night and day.

RiRiIII and mikeyt like this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

I'm playing records now. I'll double check that in a bit. I don't recall haring anything before.

21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

thanks appreciated. I cleaned the LP on my VPI ....getting light noise on both sides first song still ....got a bad copy I'm pretty sure :(

So I put on Kenny Drew/Undercurrent 33MM that I just got. It's great! Clear as a bell and sounds great! Hits you in the face! Wow!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  22. Josquin des Prez

My copy of Moanin' sounds just fine. During the bass solo, Blakey is keeping time with brushes on the snare, also in the right channel.

23. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

thanks, yeah sounds like I got a bad one...happens ya know...

24. JMCIII

I'm not "strictly" anti digital in LP choices, but given my druthers, I'll take an analog recording mastered in analog for my LP's. Still, a well mastered (and yes, I know how rare that statement is) high-res digital master can be turned into a good sounding LP - just not the same as a well mastered all-analog LP.

And the fact that you can hear the difference between the Blue Note pressing from United and Music Matter pressed at RTI speaks volumes for the way mastering (and sources) affect what we hear.

Jerry James, SergioRZ, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
  25. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

... and Tom Cat :agree: