visiting denver

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StAugustine, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StAugustine

StAugustine Active Member Thread Starter

And surrounding areas, anyone know of any good smaller shops in Aurora or other Denver suburbs? Maybe some good hole in the wall places without giving away your super secret goldmine.

2. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

there are no secret goldmines in Denver. the old threads always mention the same 3 or 4 stores and thats what you got. Jerry's is closed now, but the rest of the info is valid. I myself will be there in 1 month for 2 weeks

3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I'll repeat what I have said in other threads. The two best places in Denver for vinyl (new and used) would be Twist + Shout and Black + Read. Twist and shout is great for cds too. For cds and new vinyl Angelo's in Aurora is great. The used vinyl is pretty beat. Tradesmart in Littleton is great for cds and new lps. The used lps are also for the most part overpriced junk. Never been to Wax Trax but I've heard that it is a far cry from it's glory days. I've heard Black + Read bought out Jerry's stock. If you make it down to Colorado Springs be sure to hit Earth Pig and Independent Records flagship store on Platte Ave..

Dan C likes this.
  4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

So did you make your trip? If so, any thoughts?

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

For what it's worth, the Independent on Colfax is now an Angelo's. I didn't know Black and Read bought Jerry's stock, so thanks for that info.

StAugustine likes this.
  6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Have you been to that Angelo's? How was it? The other new store on Broadway is ok but not stocked with new releases like the Aurora location.

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I haven't been in since it changed unfortunately. I just happened to notice the change in the signage when we drove by one day. If they bought out Independent's stock, I imagine it would be ok though.

8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I'll be in the Tech Center neighborhood for a conference next month. Anything around there?

9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

nope. Angelo's in Aurora is probably the closest, but it's not close.

10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

If you make it over to Angelo's I'd love to hear your impressions.

11. StAugustine

StAugustine Active Member Thread Starter

I did end up going but low and behold I was not able to make it to any new proper shops. I had been there before and gone to the main known ones downtown. Luckily my friend hit me up to a rather large second hand store about a mile from where she lives in Aurora and found some good stuff. I only found a few nice LP's like a Van Morrison His Band And The Street Choir White label promo RL master in M- condition and some Hip Hop singles along with some mid to late 80's Hip Hop cassettes in NM condition. Overall I was pretty happy, though I did get a tip of a friend of a friend who is looking to dump about 10000 records in the area, so I'm hoping to be able to go through that next time I'm in town.

12. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Wax Trax Kicks the ever loving **** out of Twist and Shout. Twist is a cool space, with lots of amazing art on the all, and a ton of new lps , and a lot of (mostly) beat up overpriced lps, I rarely buy anything there, condition is typically VG to VG+ and prices are about a 3rd higher than Ebay avg ( reputable dealers) Wax Trax is a can't miss: 90% of the used lps are priced below $10 and many of them are VG++ to NM. As such turnover is massive and you can strike out but make sure you have combed every aisle and bin, Dave is pretty damn idiosyncratic about his sections.

Black and Read is also on the level, with a large selection making it a must visit store. Condition is typically VERY string here and prices are Ebay average or lower, with plenty of deals to be found.

Don't discount a trip to Boulder County:
    Barts (now on Folsom, google Village Coffee shop it's a few doors down)
    &
    Absolute Vinyl
    Gale's Records - Longmont
    Little Horse- Louisville

Mr. LP Collector, rob303 and jhm like this.
  13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I would agree. Paul (the owner) at Twist & Shout is a really nice guy and the store looks great, but I rarely find anything to buy there. The old shop on Pearl Street in Denver was great.

I have to confess I haven't been to Wax Trax much since they downsized. In the old days, when they had Wax Tracks I and II on one side of the street and III (used vinyl) was on the other side...now those were the glory days. I dropped a lot of money there in the 90s. Admittedly, I'm more of a CD guy so Wax Trax doesn't have the appeal that it used to for me as their CD selection is a shell of what it once was. I used to almost live in the blues section there. I'm glad to hear it's still very viable for vinyl shopping. Wax Trax and Black and Read certainly look and feel more like what a record store is supposed to (IMO anyway).

I second Boulder County as well (for what it's worth). Bart's is my "go to" shop for just about everything these days. Bart's super knowledgeable and a great guy to boot.

Mr. LP Collector and Cassius like this.
  14. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I've been able to score at Twist a couple times. Against my nature, I will ask them if they can work on price and I'll back it up with Discogs averages. They are just so damn marked up on the used stuff I can't help but call them out!

Little Horse is a gem. Not the inventory of others, but Mike seems to keep his vinyl inventory a bit more lean and mean. Good dude and cool store.

15. draganm

draganm Forum Resident

posted in the general music forum yesterday about my trip to Black and Read, wrong forum I know but I'm new here : ) I really like that store but in the 4 or 5 years since I went LP hunting things have changed, staples like Zeppelin and floyd are zero stock now! guy said they sell the same day they come in . Still, I got a good credit on my trade-in's and walked out with some good stuff.
    Need to check out Absolute in boulder. I think the idea of a store with both LP's, vintage stereo gear, new TT's, and musical instruments is a really interesting combo.

16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Don't forget Bart's Record Shop in Boulder either. Bart's a vinyl guy for sure. I was in on Saturday and he's gotten in some really cool blues LPs recently as part of a 2600 piece collection he bought recently.

Cassius and Dan C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.