Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I remember when I first saw the CD I thought wtf was Zawinul doing on DGG. :D

2. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

3. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

All right, off the top of my head, this is what's missing:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Along with the Brahms (the rest), Bruckner and Sibelius symphonies. For the favorite performances, check the previous posts/threads. Some very useful info there.

Mik, vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  4. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I would also add these two to the list:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

autodidact, ToddBD, Mik and 5 others like this.
  5. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

Bruckner 9 Bruno Walter/Columbia SO

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

You can't upload an image to the site. It has to already be on the web somewhere

JBrahms likes this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The late Christiane Jaccottet was a class act and one of the most outstanding harpsichordists of her generation.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  8. I was not being very accurate as there are FIVE and not three chords, and, you are right, brass instruments are heard behind the strings. The three chords in the middle (which "impress" me) of the series are in 2nds, then the final one is a minor 5th above the fourth chord and is sustained all the way to the end of the passage, before the quiet ending part begins. But I see what you mean by the sub ponticello effects; they come in at the beginning of that quiet part.

I would need to listen again at some point to "Godzilla". But the part I recall from it sounded like the Rite of Spring to me. Sure was scary for the litte kid I was in the early 60s, the combination of that weird monster coming out of the sea and that dramatic score!

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. John S

John S Forum Resident

[​IMG]

You may already know Gulda was quite active in jazz. He played at NYC's Birdland and at the Newport Jazz Festival. He recorded an album with Chick Corea, and one of his own:

[​IMG]

His resemblance to Joe Zawinul was probably not accidental. From Wiki:

"In 1988, he cancelled a performance after officials of the Salzburg Festival objected to his including jazz musician Joe Zawinul on the program."

And while I'm on this, let me thank George for recommending Gulda's Beethoven set.

[​IMG]

Awesome technique throughout the cycle with very good audio as well. As a bonus you get crackling renditions of the concertos, too. :thumbsup:

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Glad you liked Gulda's quick, clean-shaven readings! :wave:

11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Harmonia Mundi HMC 902194) - brand new release featuring the rarely recorded oeuvre of Etienne Moulinie (the last major release is from the early 2000`s by the fantastic Vincent Dumestre and his La Poeme Harmonique on Alpha) by Sebastian Dauce and Ensemble Correspondances....first earfull is promising to say the least and SQ is very good...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  12. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Joe071 likes this.
  13. coopmv

Fred Gulda was a much better pianist than either Previn or Jarrett, who are also jazz pianists ...

ToddBD likes this.
  14. coopmv

Is the SQ of this Decca box any better than the Brilliant Classics box, which I bought a few years ago?

15. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I am almost certain that they are the same masterings.

16. John S

John S Forum Resident

The concertos on the Decca box sound the same to me as those included in the latest Brilliant LvB box.

17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

(CD Alpha 057 released 2004) - following the forementioned (btw highly recommended) Moulinie platter I simply had to play one of these superb La Poeme Harmonique recordings from a decade ago...... and decided to go for Anthony Boesset`s "Je Meurs Sans Mourir"...

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

That, I didn't know.:crazy:

19. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Glossa GCD922802)

bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I will defend the jazz piano of Jarrett, which I listen to often. I have virtually no jazz piano by Previn - only as accompanist on a collection of songs by Jerome Kern.

Joe071 likes this.
  21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have a Harmonia Mundi disc of Moulinie from the 1980s by Les Arts Florissants. Must give it a spin.

22. coopmv

I was referring to the classical side of Fred Gulda, as I am no expert of jazz music. I do have a few jazz recordings by Andre Previn though ...

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have some Previn jazz albums from a 4 disc set on the EU public domain label Real Gone Jazz. All I can say is I'm happy I didn't spend much on them. They're pretty bland.

J.A.W. likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Enjoying some glorious historically inaccurate performances--great sound, too! (I bought all three volumes, but just these two showed up today.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  25. coopmv

Andre Previn used to play jazz in Greenwich Village NYC some fifty years ago. The few jazz CD's I have are probably from that era, i.e. they are ancient ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.