The Who - Search for Lost Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oates, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They did recently, yes. Although I don't see it at the moment.

Let me know when I collector has something of that quality.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I agree, that what might have been "worth" $50,000 10-20 years ago is now only a fraction of that. My point is that many acts/labels are still making insulting offers like $1,000 for high quality stuff(Doors/The Who).

It's not like the tape collectors are turning down $10,000 offers.

To put this in perspective an uncirculated Beatles show in audience tape for sold for $44,000 at an auction several years ago. The Hendrix Woburn 68 mono soundboard hammered for nearly $100,000 several years ago.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Click on the YouTube link I posted above.

If I were a collector who had something of that quality, I certainly wouldn't hand it over to the Who in exchange for a "thank you" in the DVD credits, awful and selfish as that may be.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I did. It doesn't change the fact that Wolfgang's Vault (via "Music Vault") had previously made the concert available on their channel

Until a collector is identified as having something of that quality, arguments about "a thank you in the credits" are moot.

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I can see both sides of this. Personally, if I happened to be in possession of master tapes of releasable quality, I would happily hand them over to The Who for free. Even if I had purchased them in an auction or elsewhere. They have been a source of joy for me for over 35 years and I would consider it an honor to give that material back to them. That's another thing...if we're talking masters, I would consider those tapes the property of the band regardless of who actually holds them.

However, as a happy capitalist with much respect for the free market, I completely understand why someone might want some sort of financial compensation in exchange for handing over desirable tapes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    PhoffiFozz, reb and slipkid like this.
  6. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Those would be acetate-based tapes, which would not be applicable to the IOW recordings.

8. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

We had agreed earlier (or I had accepted) that the IOW tapes might be early enough as not to require baking at all, although I believe I have read the contrary. My point here simply is to show that baking tapes is considered, in general, not fault free, certainly temporary, and an expedient when there is no other way to play the tape or obtain another source recording. I also understand that heat weakens the magnetic field of a tape and consequent output, and can damage the edges (in some cases) leading to permanent artifacts in the stereo picture. This is a useful discussion just for the record, I'm not trying to be obdurate. I'll look into IOW further as to whether the tapes were incubated.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As long as tapes don't have some specific issue (such as being acetate based) and are wound correctly, baking does not cause any deterioration.

showtaper likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Well said. I agree 100%. I'm in the former camp, would be honored to give the band anything they want for free if I had anything of value to offer, would be honored and gratified to help in any way, simply as a gesture of thanks for the joy of the music in the first place. I have done that with some other artists. But that is a personal decision. Some folks would disagree and want a piece of the $$ pie and I don't hold that against them, nothing wrong with that either.

Mike Dow likes this.
  11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

i think that's actually what happened. it was some sort of haphazard recording setup that ended up really compromising the sound that ended up on tape.

considering all the drama that was going on at that festival (at least as much as the Lerner doc demonstrates), it's remarkable that as much got recorded as it did.

12. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

have said before and will say again...would be a wonderful thing if some 1971-era (or anything beyond what's already floating around for '72) footage would surface. it's really lame that there's almost NO film or video of Who's Next-era shows. there's Forest Hills, but that's some shaky Super 8 footage.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I love watching both IOW and this one! Never just sat and listened to them without the visuals, though.

My, aren't we picky around here. :rolleyes:

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

From a performance standpoint, Coliseum is great. From a quality standpoint, not so much.

keifspoon likes this.
  15. misko

misko Forum Resident

Its my belief as a Who fan that the band are attempting to put together a 50th anniversary celebration for the fans. The solicitation of any "rare' audio or video is simply an invitation for diehards to participate in the process and put together a project in which we can all be proud . The band does not have to do this. They don't need the money. They don't need the acclaim. They are Kennedy award honorees for cryin' out loud. This type of release is not going to go platinum (although it should). So if people who allegedly have unheard music and don't want share it with the band they supposedly love so much , so be it . I'll always remember that in October of 1981, The Who came to NYC and blew the roof off the Garden. There's no Who video that could ever top that IMHO.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You keep insisting that there's nothing out there of quality, but, if Wolfgang's Vault has Tanglewood in higher quality than the official Isle of Wight DVD, who's to say that there isn't a private collector with a copy of the same material that's lower generation/higher quality than the bootleg DVD and YouTube copies that do circulate? Who knew that someone was sitting on a perfect quality copy of Bowie's "Jean Genie" TOTP performance until it surfaced a few years ago? Every serious Bowie collector knew that was "lost forever" - there are clearly still things out there that haven't been booted or torrented or shared on YouTube.

BDC likes this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Even if there was, why would The Who even thinking about buying it knowing full well that Wolfgang's Vault owns it?

18. jsayers

The clips from Tanglewood on the original dvd/whs official Who comp "30 Years Of Maximum R&B" look just fine to me - I watched the bejeezus out of them! If they have the whole thing in just that quality I wish they'd put it out already, "F" Wolfgang.

19. misko

misko Forum Resident

The problem with Tanglewood is that the second reel is of only fair quality . I don't think Wolfgang has a better copy in their archive.

jsayers and dee like this.
  20. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I agree and will throw out that the Wolfgang versions aren't nearly as good, too clean and neutered so to speak. On youtube some vids are pre-Wolfgang and it's interesting to compare them.

21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I hope fans of the Who who have rare sound and film recordings feel generous and share them with the Who. Besides what the Who have in their vaults, the extra materials could contribute to something really great, like a Kids are Alright 2. The original Kids are Alright has been one of my top 3 concert films since I first saw it in the late 1970's. The scrapbook approach worked really well. Wouldn't it be great if the outreach to fans could be for something like that?

jsayers likes this.
  22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

That's easy for you to say jsayers. As I recall, you witnessed up close and personal one of the great Who shows. One that will be forever immortalized, thanks to Chris Charlesworth write-up in the Concert File book. :uhhuh:

jsayers likes this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

I thought Universal ponied up cash for the Houston '75 video?
    I will have to watch Roger talk about the Railway bit again in AJ.. I thought it was there or in who.com interviews with band or camp that he paid 10 grand from his pocket for the 6 or 7 minutes of Railway video. Producer Nigel Sinclair purchased the additional Leeds footage that has not been seen yet. Based on the above, if it's all true, :), it would seem inaccurate to say that the band or their record co. or people in the business do not pay collectors or bootleggers for Who audio/video.

Driver 8 likes this.
  24. jsayers

I wish I could "like" this post more than once! :agree:

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The Who might just want to pay an intern to type "The Who" into YouTube and see what comes up. There's enough for Kids Are Alright 2 already.

Rich C, kevinsponge and AlienRendel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.