Records stores in the Chapel Hill/Raleigh area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by John Moschella, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member Thread Starter

Any good ones worth visiting?

2. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Used to be a good store on Franklin St. in Chapel Hill. The name was Schoolkids but I think that has changed. Last time I was there the variety was much smaller than it had been a couple years before but I still found a couple good things. There was a good Jazz oriented store close to Chapel Hill also but I can't remember the name. A phone book can help. Raleigh used to have a couple great stores with used vinyl but they either moved or closed. Check out some of the stores on Hillsborough St. close to N.C. State. Sorry I could'nt be more help but it seems like so many of the older small stores are closing. Let me know if you run across anything worth checking out.

3. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Schoolkids has gone; any updates on record stores in the Chapel Hill area?

4. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Not sure about Chapel Hill, but Durham (Brightleaf Square) has got a fantastic record store, Offbeat Music. As far as asthetics, it's by far the nicest record store in the area, with probably the best and most eclectic selection of new vinyl, but for used vinyl (at reasonable prices) Nice Price Books on Hillsborough str in Raleigh can't be beat.

Rupe33 likes this.
  5. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Chapel Hill has CD Alley, which is actually at least half vinyl now. Good dude who owns but very small, off the Franklin strip. There is a tiny little place called Backdoor Records that is a block over on Rosemary. Like shopping in a closet, though. Down the road in Carrboro, there is an All Day Records, which ironically enough, is hardly ever open during the week. It's off of Main Street there and specializes in very, very indie stuff. It's all vinyl and extremely hip, though I have found a couple of classic rock type titles there. Also in Carborro is Vinyl Perk, which is a combination vinyl shop and pourover coffee shop. The stuff is used, classic-rock oriented, but it's a neat little place and the owner is a really cool guy.

In Raleigh, the new Schoolkids location has a bar with draft beer and a little stage for bands! It's pretty great but out in the burbs now and not by NC State campus. There is a McKay's books movies and music location on Capitol Boulevard as well.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    whisper3978, levi and Rupe33 like this.
  6. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

CD Alley in Chapel Hill is solid. I paid a visit while moving up the East Coast from Florida several months back. I agree that the store is small, but it was packed with well-chosen titles. I mainly paid attention to the CDs, but the stock is roughly half vinyl and half CDs. It was my first time visiting Chapel Hill. Really nice college town. That whole Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area seemed pretty cool.

I also hit the McKay's store in Raleigh. It carries used music as well as books, movies, etc. The selection was OK, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way for a visit.

7. thx911

thx911 New Member

Last week i went over to Hunky Dory on 718 9th St Durham to buy some records! There are no CDs just Vinyl and incense sticks and Lifestyle gifts. Every Wednesday they throw open new records for sales (pre owned) so it may be a good time to visit the store. I could find excellent records of the grateful dead, Chicago and others. Also noticed vintage turntables, speakers, amps & tuners on sale! if someone is looking to put together a good vintage system this place may interest you.

8. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Earshot has a store in Winston-Salem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.