Echo and the Bunnymen - Meteorites (2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sorry, you are probably right. It would have never occurred to me that someone would lump remasters and non-remastered discs together. Who would do that?!?

Anyone else think they should have returned to that band name when Les left?

jamesc likes this.
  2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see where you're coming from, but their livelihood comes from the Bunnymen name, so I can't begrudge them that. I saw Electrafixion 3 times and they were great shows, but the shows were in tiny venues, half-full. I don't think they could've sustained themselves these past 15 years without going back to the Bunnymen name.

Similar to the Furs and the also excellent Love Spit Love. Name recognition is important for the less rabid fans, unlike most of us.

Curveboy and AlienRendel like this.
  3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Yep, at the time, Sony said they stopped them due to low sales. This decision should have been revisited a LONG time ago now, the amount of other tat they put out.

The Furs are supposed to be putting a new album out at some point, aren't they? (A year late already, at least)

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/music/index.ssf/2012/04/the_psychedelic_furs_bassist_t.html

manicpopthrill and AlienRendel like this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Thanks for that...who knew they were even attempting recording? I'd love some new 'Furs!

5. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I'll be happy to eat my words from earlier, but they've been talking about this new album since practically the turn of the century.

EDIT: This was a Bunnymen thread, right? ;)

AlienRendel, JeffMo and Curveboy like this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Getting back to the Bunnymen... :winkgrin:

Going back to that 1987 set I saw when they were touring for the Grey Album (S/T). They only played three songs from that album too, so it seems this habit of not playing much from the new album has been going on for a while now...

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

They were adventurous for a bit...I saw them do Angels & Devils and The Fish Hook Girl at a show...and I know for a bit they were even throwing in some Electrafixion stuff.

LOL - I completely forgot...I did see them once after 2001...I went to the Ocean Rain show at Radio City Music Hall (2008?)...it was a bit of a bore...no wonder it slipped my mind.

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Curveboy likes this.
  9. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I saw them in 2010. They still open with "Going Up"! They only played one song of "the Fountain" (which was fine with me), but did throw in a couple of other post-reunion tunes ("Rust", "Stormy Weather", "Nothing Lasts Forever").

10. vertigone

Yes, I remember that. "Fish Hook Girl" is a great song. I think the Electrafixion song they did was "Holy Grail", a b-side no less. When I saw the Evergreen tour, they did 7 songs from that album, including "Baseball Bill" which was originally released as an Electrafixion 7".

11. Rhino.

I don't think of them as Echo and The Bunnymen any longer personally. Heck with each member they lost elements of their distinctive style changed not necessarily for the better.

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Oh yeah...but at one of those Evergreen era shows...at Roseland in NYC...there were a group of people next to me and I remember one of the girls going "I don't know this song" and turning her back to talk to her friends. I was horrified...but that is part of the reason these classic bands revert to only doing "hits" shows. Meanwhile, a few months before at a much smaller venue (Mercury Lounge) they did a ton of new material (Evergreen wasn't even out yet if I recall) and it all went over gangbusters.

AlienRendel likes this.
  13. AlienRendel

Yeah, they could tour as Electrafixion and play places the size of Mercury Lounge, then go back to the UK and be homeless.

14. Anyone heard the original masters set? Just curious if those first three are the remasters sans bonus tracks or the original mastering.

15. vertigone

I was at that Roseland show! I had seen them just over 1 year prior at the tiny Westbeth Theater on the west side. It was their second to last show as Electrafixion. It was originally supposed to be at a bigger venue but was downgraded due to poor ticket sales. Add the Bunnymen name, and they're selling out Roseland. Crazy.

I missed those Mercury Lounge shows (I think they did 2) as I was out of town. I still regret that.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I was at the Westbeth Electrafixion show as well...as I said earlier in the thread it was the best version of The Killing Moon I ever heard.

17. Parry Hotter

Parry Hotter New Member

Can those with the vinyl and/or HDTracks version inform as to if either of them use the same master as the cd or not? I'd like to buy Meteorites on vinyl but there's really no point if it's still the same distorted master. Maybe someone can post 15-30 second clips of a vinyl rip for comparison? I'm not sure if clips are allowed or not. If not, my apologies for requesting them. Thanks!

art likes this.
  18. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I also just picked up Electrafixion, another good album

19. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I went to that show as well, i read a review that made fun of the show, especially the melody of songs

20. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Original masters

21. Thanks for confirming that. I'm ordering these to replace the deluxe I got ages ago.

22. Parry Hotter

Parry Hotter New Member

Is there any way to PM someone on the forum? I'd like to talk with the few people that own the vinyl as I'm not sure if they still keep tabs on this thread or not.

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Ability to initiate a private message unlocks after a few posts in the main forums. Most forum members will get "Alert" notifications if you quote and respond to their posts.

24. AlienRendel

I have the vinyl. Don't know how to tell if it's the same as the CD master, but it doesn't sound all that great. The high end is very crispy, with the sibilants and cymbals sounding pretty crackly.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'm going though all my Bunnymen singles post 1997...I was wondering how many people picked up the Avalanche EP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.