Kef LS50 anyone hear these?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by STBob, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Great looking setup! I'm looking for a set of stands for mine (which I think are fantastic by the way). What are those you're using? Happy with them?

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm using a pair of inexpensive Pangea metal stands from Audio Advisor, which I've filled with playground stand. This particular model has been discontinued.

They're a bit too short for the LS50s, so I've propped them up on a pedestal of two concrete patio tiles and hockey pucks. I've never compared them to any other stands, but I've been keeping an eye on Craig's List for something more 'luxurious.'

3. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Yeah that's the thing, when adjusted for inflation these speakers are a good value compared to products of the past. I admit $1,500 is a lot of scratch to come up with these days for just speakers. But it's something you will own for a long long time. That said they are not the most full range speaker so if you can't live with that or getting a subwoofer then I would certainly say look at something else in the Kef line or other brands. But the freq range they do produce they produce with wonderful accuracy and detail.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  4. STBob

STBob Active Member Thread Starter

Yea I am not saying $1500 is nothing was just trying to put it into perspective. Kef had to find a way to manufacture things for less, they are basically making a speaker for 1/2 the price of a 103.2 that is suppose to sound better. Are they made in China now? That is one way, another would be making the cabinets, Wood vs some kind of good looking glossy plastic probably saved some money. I would doubt magnets are cheaper today than they were in 1980.

I'm not totally opposed to using a sub, I wish they had a grill option. No grill just invites people with a poke the driver fetish. Some people just can't help themselves, as soon as the coast is clear they POKE POKE POKE the drivers. So will need to figure in speaker security to the cost :)

5. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Yes, they are made in China, in KEF's company-owned plant. They company representative at The Show in Newport confirmed this.

6. STBob

China does not have mean junk. But they do seem to always have quality control issues. I have a few friends that moved their manufacturing plants to china to keep up with the competition. They said it saved them a ton (Sell outs :)). No medical insurance, no lawyers, they basically did a shake hand agreement. Dirt cheap labor, this window won't last forever, it will be just like Japan was at the start.

I dunno, now I am thinking of made in the USA speakers. A company called Salk makes speakers in Pontiac Michigan and invited me to tour the manufacturing process. I think I will take them up on it. He recommend that I try the Salk swan towers since they are 89 db efficient and can be driven by puny amps.

I still plan on testing the Kefs but I've yet to hear a pair of small speakers sound full, clear yes but they are always missing something (no bass).

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  7. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Let us know how you like those Salks.

8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Some dealers will let you. They'll put a temporary charge on your credit card, send you home with the floor model, and then either give you a discount if you keep them or swap them out for a new sealed pair. At least that's how two dealers I've dealt with in the past have worked things.

Let us know what you think if you try them out. Looking at the 103.2 specs they're not much different from a bass extension or sensitivity standpoint.

Let us know what you think of the Salks as well. Always good to support local businesses when you can.

Bill

9. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

A speaker at the same price and similar size is the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's. I've had them and LS50's in the house at the same time - preferred the Ascends by just a bit. YMMV.

10. james

james Summon The Queen

Again, I think you need to check these out in person to understand the cabinet quality. I don't think a box speaker with wood veneers would be as expensive as the cabinets on these speakers. They are pretty substantial and high-end feeling/looking.

11. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Absolutely no need to be concerned about these speakers being manufactured in China.
    The detail and finish is immaculate. The packaging is bullet proof protective.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  12. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

13. STBob

I am not saying they are cheap but they had to save money somewhere. They could not make them in USA that cheap. Wood is never cheap. When I buy furniture at Ethan Allen non of its cheap, none of its plastic.

Saving money does not mean they cut audio corners. But simply can't make stuff today built like 1980 at the same price much less 1/2 the price. Exceptions are computer cpus and video cards.

14. STBob

15. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Stay with your 102.3
    No point in looking at the LS 50s if you don't like the piano black finish, lack of grill and Chinese build.

16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

STBob likes this.
  17. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

18. STBob

Well if they sound that much better i could overlook the color. Its not a total deal breaker. If i buy them or not im not parting with the kefs. They will be in a different part of the house.

I did not mean to say that all things made in china are junk. Its getting better all the time. Outlaw audio even has things made there, and claim they just have to keep a very close eye on quality control so it does not make its way to the customer.

If things are done correctly in china you can save a bundle. The old kef was not china and I do not know if the quality control tanked on them since the move. They could be stellar, don't know.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  19. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

By all accounts the bass extension for the LS50 is very room sensitive. Bass is usually adequate in a small space, but becomes leaner as the space expands. This is one speaker for which you may want to arrange an in home audition.

gingerly likes this.
  20. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Heaps of glowing reviews from respected audiophile magazines and not one has mentioned a problem with build quality.
    My only recommendation is that you at least audition them to see what they sound like. In my opinion they are unrivalled at their price point.
    I think they will be noticeably superior to your older KEFs in performance and even build (my previous speakers were KEF 104ab).

PROG U.K. and STBob like this.
  21. STBob

That's good to hear. I will probably listen to those and the Salks. I might be a little more partial to the salks because they are made in my home state and I like to support the local people if possible. Being made in china can be a plus in terms of getting the best bang for the dollar. If they have good quality control they should be able to make a super speaker for much less than here.

22. STBob

Those look like very nice speakers. I've always liked the dual driver design. They must be long throw to get the bass, they are only 4 inch drivers?

23. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I feel like I listened to a lot of speakers of roughly this design and I have to say that I would disagree on this point. I agree that the KEFS are sensitive to room mechanics, and that a lot of manufacturers are doing some of their best work in this price range. Some of what is offered in this form factor is unparalleled in other speaker design.

Shiver likes this.
  24. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Some decent speakers have been recommended here and if possible give them all a listen before deciding.

25. STBob

Ok so far here are the contenders. And thanks to all that provided options!
    All of them are from $1,500-2,000. All of them probably sound great. One thing about towers that I like is they use that space for improving bass and also doubles as a built in stand. Even though the others are smaller they will take up the same space once I put stands under them. But Sound quality is going to factor in heavily. Anyone else have some to add to the growing list?

[​IMG]

BilboAlaska likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.