If you don't "Get"/understand or appreciate HipHop/Rap please listen...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Does any music have to have a connection to the past? :confused:

2. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Funny, I was meeting my new middle schoolers and we were talking about music and several said they liked the Beatles unprompted. So I asked, name the members. They could, first and last.

3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I would argue none of it is created in a vacuum. It's all evolution.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Short People" caused a lot of controversy too. A lot of people didn't get the satire - including me! Though I was only 10 at the time, so that's my excuse! :)

morinix likes this.
  5. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Newman did get a lot of flak for that song.

6. Casey Kasem defended Randy Newman on the top40 countdown for that song

7. Actually yes, all of it does by nature.

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I'm not sure there's a music that doesn't have a connection to that past in one way or another. It may or may not be the most important thing for a given listener, but any piece of music has and is part of a history.

L.

9. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jamesssss Brownnnnnnnnn :pineapple:

notesofachord and Dudley Morris like this.
  11. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

he's still the godfather of soul y'all, so check it out!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

http://articles.philly.com/2014-08-29/news/53366877_1_gregg-gillis-girl-talk-poster-boy

13. nbakid2000

14. nbakid2000

I think this also belongs here, since it has to do with DJs and "real instruments".

15. The Demon

The Demon Member

Simple racism and laziness. That's it. People who think all black youth are scary. It's hysterical how many 60s icons and "geniuses" of rock music don't like rap. All these dudes who paid lip service to blues and sitar music. They're just people afraid of life.

mw1917 and e.s. like this.
  16. The Demon

The Demon Member

You're inviting yourself to get slammed with this. Why do they have to like the "White Album"? You imply that they like no good music because they like no music that you like. How well do you know the music they enjoy?

e.s. likes this.
  17. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

For the record, I am a mid 50's white guy and I think the White Album is total crap. It's not an age thing. We just like what we like.

Gaslight, Marko L. and scompton like this.
  18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Sometimes the various cultural aspects (including language barriers) can serve as a roadblock to people from different regions or of different origins. For example, a good friend of mine enjoys polka and Norteño music. He is Mexican American and I respect the way he enjoys the music, just as he respects that don't understand the music, it's sound and it's lyrics. I understand a little Spanish, but never could understand why the music sounds how it does and the reasons.

However, I do enjoy the accordion. I'm a big fan of the French Bal-Musette genre and about 15 years ago, got into Conjunto music, which I later found out is equivalent to old school hip hop or classic country, as far as changes and traditions are concerned. Aside from a few radio stations in America, you can’t hear Conjunto on commercial radio anymore. Most of the Conjunto record companies have since closed, but that's not the issue. I think it can be hard for older generations to watch as a certain style of music, its fanbase and culture are gradually waning in popularity.

People of a particular generation or lovers of the music don't want to see it die from old age. That's why it's so important to buy physical records, CDs, LPs and downloads from artists and their respective labels. Supporting the music gives it life. As far as individual tastes go, I believe the discovery of music is a personal quest and no two journeys are identical. Unless you're an Elvis Presley impersonator! LOL

Macman likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

I listened to the OP's first post and was less than impressed. I have little use for rap, but I suppose it covers a lot of ground and some might click. Unfortunately I can't really be bothered much to find out.

I've probably posted this info before:

1) I bought It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy as my token rap CD, and I've listened to it, but it didn't really have an effect on me;

2) I don't mind Hey Ya by Outkast, if that's considered rap;

3) I've heard some Beastie Boys recently (not necessarily recent material) that I kinda liked;

4) I liked the following enough to buy the CD. Whether or not it's considered rap / hip hop, you'll have to tell me because I have no idea. From 2002, I present Another Miracle by One Ton:

20. JohnnyQuest

:biglaugh:Cute.

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

I was serious. You could help inform us non-rap listeners about your favourite genre instead of acting the know-it-all, you know ...

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

My favorite genre is actually "Classic Rock". :tiphat:

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Yeah...I don't understand the cute comment either.

24. JohnnyQuest

"Hey Ya" is more of a pop/rock song than a "Hip-Hop" song.
    Not many Hip-Hop songs start with a "1,2,3,4..." or have a guitar playing throughout the song. He doesn't rap a bar in "Hey Ya".
    Watch the video..

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I don't need to listen to it. I guess you can't really read through the lines...I think you'll have a hard time convincing people to like hip-hop while making snide remarks like you did. That's all I meant.

wolfram likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.