Poll . Cost of your system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Really? OK...

2. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

If you guys do not listen to music? Why are you even here??? Is it you just do not use the stereo, and use headphones or your computer?
    MP3s?

DaveC113, Sneaky Pete and Tim 2 like this.
  3. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

Scratch the Oppo Digital HA-1. I just ordered a new CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 LX XL4 portable asynchronous USB 2.0 24 bit 192 kHz DAC and headphone amplifier. I should get it tomorrow. It costs $700.00 USD.

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

OH MY GOSH ! ?!?!?

I can't imagine going a single day without my favorite passion.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Happily went from 10-20k down to a few thousand. To say I enjoy it much more now is a huge understatement.

6. Tim 2

Exactly, what ever works for ya. :righton:

I enjoy listening to my smallest system very much, although it doesn't portray the essence and substance of what the artist may have been trying to convey nearly as well.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Seriously?

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have Klipsch Cornwalls and pump tube amps that range from 15 to 55 watts. Occasionally I throw in a ss receiver that has 40-60 watts. Older and less expensive does not deprive me of quality when I compare what I have now to what I previously did. I'm not going to debate the merits of spending grand sums of money on audio if that's what somebody wants to do but I truly believe it simply is not necessary to achieve a great listening experience.

utahusker likes this.
  9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

A "great listening experience" can be defined differently based on expectations and goals. You can't spend nothing and have everything.

10. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I suppose you could if you expectations are low enough. I found a stereo in the trash that I used for a while. by the way this statement sounds very Zen. :D

11. If in the end your system satisfies you, does it matter what the cost was?

12. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Yeah, that's about what I have into mine and it is a lot of musical happiness. I do need to add it all up though. I wouldn't mind upgrading the turntable. The VPI Classic 2 looks pretty nice. And I need a new rack. Jeeze.

13. Babur72

Babur72 Forum Resident

Is this poll asking for the total cost of our systems if purchased as new, or the actual total expenditure in acquiring the system?

As most of my components were purchased ex-demo. or pre-owned.

Regards.

Babur

14. Suggested MSRP, but that's not always easy to find . Give it your best good approximation.

15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well, based on what I've read here, you can't get a good system for under $8-10k. I'm glad my $3k system doesn't know that! ;)

16. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

It's about what you you do with the money not how much you spend. I've heard wonderful sound from systems below $1000 all the way to the high six figures. I have also heard systems that don't work well together at every price range. Careful system matching equals the potential for a highly enjoyable listening experience with recorded music no matter the budget.

gojira, T'mershi Duween, RonW and 4 others like this.
  17. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

That's what she said.

Buff Terror likes this.
  18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

To reiterate, I don't think anyone has set a price threshold for a "good" system. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the entry-level cost for "high-end", which is a totally different animal. I have a bedroom system of stuff from the '90's which cost about $2000 MSRP then (and even at MSRP a comparable system would be less today) which definitely qualifies as "good".

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I am extremely happy with the sound of my system. Sure, I'll upgrade/overgrade something but all in all, it is pretty nice. My latest acquisition, a Schiit DAC fed by a mac mini and NAS is extremely nice. Digital sure has cmd a long way from the 80's and 90's crap and later, iTunes. But even iTunes doesn't suck too bad through that DAC.

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I think the people happiest with their systems don't bother responding because their too busy listening to them.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Acceptability is in the ears of the listener. Some amazing results can be achieved with minimalist systems, mid range systems, high end systems and state of the art systems. And sometimes a "low end" system is more enjoyable with much of modern mastering these days because it lets you to enjoy tunes instead of cringing when a high note is reproduced.

And my "high end" system is vintage tubes and speakers but I would not give it up for anything.

gojira, aroney, Tim 2 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deleted numerous posts for casting aspersions, getting personal, thread crapping, and responding to any of the above. We lost some useful and instructive comments in that latter category, but hopefully we can play nice from now on.

Gary likes this.
  23. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

Well, it looks like I'm getting a Chord Hugo for $2,495.00 USD sometime in early January 2015. So, add that to my list.

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yes.

A community of enthusiasts will naturally be interested in all aspects of the hobby, primarily, I would think, in order to improve one's own audio system. Some of us are continuously discovering. Curiosity is a good thing.

What I would also say about what I pay for hi-end gear is private when it comes to the general public (non-audiophile friends, etc). The music and the sound quality are what's relevant in those situations.

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. Tim 2

"Continuously discovering" is what keeps it all interesting.

jh901 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.