The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah the live 1966 stuff out almost all of it says unknown recording date

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It just happens that I actually have a job interview tomorrow morning. :sweating::D

I've been listening to the Veneta '72 show (anniversary day!) to get myself psyched. I'm currently on the Dark Star meltdown :yikes:.

Wish me luck fellow 'Heads - we are everywhere! :thumbsup:

3. notesofachord

Oh my, this Veneta "Sing Me Back Home" is so heartbreaking and yet so beautiful!

Matthew Tate and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. notesofachord

My opinion overall on the Sunshine Daydream, Veneta '72 is that it is fairly average for '72, but '72 is such a magical year for the band, that it's still essential. Plus, the film is a hoot and is so fun to watch.

The only "best ever" version from the show is "Sing Me Back Home", although "Bird Song" is likely a top 10 version and "Dark Star" a top 30. Oh, and "Greatest Story..." is a top version as well - it's the most aggressive/intense version I've heard. The rest of the show is typical, but.... you know what....

...screw it, I just realized that it IS a well above average show!! Disregard my first sentence! :winkgrin:

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's especially moving watching Jerry and Donna harmonizing on this one together at sunset in the film. My favorite version of this song, although I don't know the unreleased '72 shows as well as many others around here.

rockinlazys likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that is one cover tune i don't think i've heard the dead do a bad version of. "man smart,woman smarter" on the other hand.......

DrLunchbox likes this.
  7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Quite good, yes. I'd rank it right near the Bird Song from DP36, which is perhaps my personal favorite.

8. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Good luck on the interview notesofachord, if they asked a music? the job is YOURS!!! I have never seen "Sunshine Daydream"but a young friend told me that PaulFoster makes an appearance. I told her "not to stare to long into his eyes because you may not return". Her smart retort, "sound advice I have made that mistake with you and it can be detrimental " I played the show and thought of all those who have passed and those that are still shakin' their bones. Paul's book "The Answer is Always Yes" is a fun read and Kesey's intro is PaulFoster...

9. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I'm listening to Hunter's matrix Barton Hall at the moment. I don't know if there are "better" versions, but this sounds quite nice.

nitsuj and rockinlazys like this.
  10. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

http://www.setlists.net/?show_id=1676

06/22/86
    Greek Theater, University Of California - Berkeley, CA
    Set 1:

Jack Straw
    It Must Have Been The Roses
    Cassidy
    Row Jimmy
    New Minglewood Blues
    Big Railroad Blues
    Mama Tried
    Big River
    Stagger Lee
    Hell In A Bucket
    Might As Well

Set 2:
    Fire On The Mountain
    Samson And Delilah
    Ship Of Fools
    Man Smart-Woman Smarter
    Drums
    Truckin'
    Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
    Stella Blue
    Turn On Your Love Light

Encore:
    U.S. Blues
    Box Of Rain

Probably my favourite FOTM. A nice slow mellow version to open the 2nd set. Double encore, except only about 30% of the people saw Box of Rain. The crew was tearing down the set, but a hardcore group of heads in front of the stage and another group off to Phil's side never stopped cheering after U.S. Blues. About ten minutes of non stop clapping smiling cheering and about 70% of the people gone, the crew set up the mics again and out come the boys and do Box of Rain for very few Heads. One of my personal highlights I got to witness during my time of seeing shows. I was in the group off to Phil's side.

Scopitone and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Today was disc 3 from the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack set:

WRS
    Jam>Dark Star>Morning Dew
    NFA>GDTRFB

One of my all-time favorite Dews - up there with 5/26/72 and 5/8/77

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

A similar thing happened at the Greek on 8/18/89. They encored with Black Muddy River and came back out about 10 minutes later and did We Bid You Goodnight, which was the first time I'd seen them play (or sing, actually) that one. Great moment. I'd say half to 2/3 of the crowd had stuck around, maybe a bunch of people learned their lesson in '86!

Bingo likes this.
  13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

How did the interview go?

14. notesofachord

Good methinks. We'll see if I get called in for a second one.
    The Sunshine Daydream experience must've left some good karma.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Great. I'll send out some positive Dead vibes. Good luck.

16. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Call for help: please help me pick what show I listen to next tonight - 9/21/72 (Dick's Picks 36) or 12/10/73 (Download Series 8)? This is important.

P.S. Currently listening to set 2 of 4/3/89 (Download Series 9), and it is some heady stuff.

17. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Well, you've probably listened less to the Charlotte show, so I'd vote for that. Save the favorite for when you're sure.

Mine was most of the Winterland '77 bonus disc. Maybe that 12/10/73 tomorrow, now that you mention it ...

18. notesofachord

NP: Disc 2/Set 2 from this one:

[​IMG]

19. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Currently listening to October 9, 1989 at Hampton Coliseum (via archive.org).

Just ordered the "Warlocks" box set of this and the previous night from dead.net as part of their Labor Day sale - 20% off and free shipping! $55.98 out the door.

[​IMG]

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

DrLunchbox likes this.
  21. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, will check it out.

In case anyone missed it:

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate and puffyrock2 like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to a classic right now. 2/13/70 Fillmore East Dark Star from DP 4.

Tom H, thanks for the sale info. The official release soundboard of that Warlocks show is the one I almost always listen to, but it is fun to hear that audience roar on occasion.

23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Any reason why they hadn't played "Dark Star" for five years?

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A pity the "Dark Star>That's It For The Other One>Turn On Your Lovelight" segue is too long to store it on a single CD!

notesofachord and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe Garcia discussed it at least once in an interview. I can't find the quote but I think basically their improv chops weren't in good enough shape for it.

EDIT: here's yet another worthwhile post from the Deadessays site, discussing the five versions between 1974 and 1989 and including the quotes I had in mind above.

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2013/05/dark-star-1978-1984-roundtable.html

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.