Hall & Oates 40th Anniversary "Abandoned Luncheonette" article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Todd W., Comet01 and Agent57 like this.
  2. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Great album! Sure, it's kinda slick, but not in a bad way. "She's Gone" is awesome.

It's sad that most people only remember this band for their hit singles from the 80's.

jconsolmagno likes this.
  3. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Great album but I agree. What the hell sounds like the Beatles on side two and what are stripping out? I would love to hear him explain what Abandoned Luncheonette NAKED sounds like. I can think of the title track having a sort of influence, but this never struck me after listening to the album for well over a decade and regarding it as their best.

4. Telefunken_U47

Telefunken_U47 Member

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

So how about a 36th Anniversary "Along the Red Ledge" article?

Gorgon likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The only possibility (IMO) is the sudden tempo shifts in the title track--the saxes on "she was twenty", the 'harp' before 'day to day', etc.
    I guess if you're really stretching it, maybe the way the strings build at the end of Lady Rain.

7. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

The only connection to the Beatles he may be thinking of is with Christopher Bond having joined the band. He became more and more involved in the production and is one reason I believe they dismiss the "Beauty On A Back Street" album. It's really far from their style altogether and trying too hard. Not to knock Mr. Bond exactly, but he was clearly a huge Beatles fan and very about what was "in" at the time as far as the sound and taking from here and there. Perhaps Hall thinks that about some of side 2. it does have some overly-ambitious production, despite Arif Mardin being credited as the main guy, who I love and is always very tasteful. That's my convoluted thought, at least. :)

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Ty for the link. Totally fascinating. Those diners are American classics. A restaurant near me was renovating about ten years ago when it was discovered that the storage room attached to the eatery was in fact a diner that had been buried inside the restaurant for decades and no one even knew it WAS a diner. They offered it to Greenfield Village or to anyone who could save it. No one did and it ended up demolished.
    My wife and I used to eat at a silver one in Ypsilanti when we were first married, and if I see one on the road I try to eat there.
    I LOVE those eateries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.