POLL: "Still Standing" or "Yes, Dear"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Yes, there was a thread on this once, but unfortunately there was no poll. Both of these shows are very, very near and dear to my heart, and if I had it my way, they would still be on the air. We need more "family oriented" shows and less yuppie shows, IMO. Would you agree??

Anyway, please vote and then discuss. Did you love these shows, like I did?

2. Baba Oh Really

You know something folks? I'm going to have to go with "Yes, Dear". It had more "natural" acting. "Still Standing", though a great show, tried way too hard to be "witty" and "cute" with the overly-clever back-and-forth "machine gun" dialogue between the husband and the wife all the time... reciting complex memorized lines quickly. Though it was well done, nobody really talks like this, folks !!

Anyway, we need more good family oriented shows. "Grounded for Life" was - in my opinion - both obnoxious and annoying.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

I used to watch Still Standing. I used to work evenings so I found it syndicated not long after it ended.

4. violarules

violarules Senior Member

So, by "family oriented" you mean "straight-male fantasy shows" with plain, overweight men married to impossibly beautiful women? :winkgrin:

There is still that Tim Allen show. Forget the name, but it's family-ish.

And there is that one show with "Family" in the title, but I have a feeling there is a reason you aren't mentioning it....

5. Baba Oh Really

By family show, I mean situations centered around families (as opposed to a show like "Seinfeld", "Friends", "Fraiser", "Cheers", etc. that appeal to a different demographic).

"Malcolm in the middle" was "okay" I guess ... but a little on the annoying side.

Didn't even know Tim Allen had a new show - shows how out of touch I am.

6. Baba Oh Really

I should mention that one of the great shows of our time "Till Death" was originally centered around an aging couple who never had any children. As the show went on, they figured they better do something to increase the demographic to compete with the more family friendly shows of the time, so all of a sudden, a "daughter in college" appears out of nowhere in the middle of the season - a person you never heard about before until she was invented by writers. This way, they could have the best of both worlds (shows centered around themselves and the neighbors as adults, and interaction with their college bound daughter if need be).

7. Baba Oh Really

It was a good show, I always enjoyed it.

I think "Yes Dear" has more appeal though, due to the fact that - even though both families on the show have children - the shows aren't centered on the children - a formula that worked well IMO. Best of both worlds.

8. joefont

joefont Senior Member

You mean like Roseanne or Married With Children? ;):cool:

9. violarules

violarules Senior Member

The Tim Allen show is "Last Man Standing". It's okay enough. Nancy Travis plays his wife, and I find that coupling more realistic than many of the "According to Jim"-type shows. His character's politics lean right, if that matters to you.

10. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I'm not familiar with Still Standing. I watched Yes, Dear a handful of times thought it was dreadful. I recall the wife being kind of cute though.

11. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I liked Still Standing but just couldn't get into Yes, Dear.

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I liked them both, but I chose Still Standing. The lead male characters in Yes, Dear could get old after a while.

13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Still Standing to look at Jami Gertz. I never did like Yes, Dear.

14. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Still Standing was funnier overall. That one episode where the little girl steals the Jesus statue from the other family cracks me up. So many great gags in that show. The dad in Yes, Dear is pretty annoying after a while. But it was a pretty good show too.

15. joefont

joefont Senior Member

It really didn't occur to me but you're right....the Yes, Dear dad is annoying! Jami Gertz and Mark Addy had better chemistry together.

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

If you liked her here, go get Doc Hollywood. :love:

BTW, two horrible shows.

17. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I never saw Still Standing but watched Yes Dear weekly. I enjoyed Yes Dear during it's run but it went a little off the rails at the end. I stopped watching before it went off the air. I chose Yes Dear because I'm more familiar with it.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  18. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

It's a toss up - one had Sally Struthers as Grandma, the other had Tim Conway as Grandpa. What they really should have done is give Sally and Tim their own show.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  19. Baba Oh Really

Roseanne was actually pretty good. I wouldn't consider "Married" a family show.

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yes dear was absolute mediocrity and must've been cheap to produce because I never understood how it got renewed year after year

Larry Geller likes this.
  21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Sorry, wrong actress.

22. music4life

music4life Senior Member

She was in "Mr Hollands Opus" though.

23. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I believe she is the oldest daughter from Uncle Buck.

24. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I hope that genre comes back so I can develop my idea for a sitcom about a morbidly obese man with some learning disabilites who's married to a supermodel.

violarules likes this.
  25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

You are both correct. Not to mention the MCI operator who challenged AT&T. She is Jean Louisa Kelly :love:

[​IMG]

music4life likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.