Thorens TD-125 vs a Michell Tecnodec

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for people who have experience hearing both these tables. I have a thorens td-125 w sme 3009 improved, removable headshell, and shure v15xmr cart. The thorens is a pretty righteous table, and I've brought the speed control up to spec with a volt meter and some adjustments to the pentometers on the control board.

Well I've heard the Michell Gyro Dec with sme 309, and dynavector 20xl, and that is definitely steps up from the thorens (although the thorens might be more competitive with a less boring cartridge).

Couldn't afford a gyrodec but the tecnodec intrigues me...does anyone have insight into this table and maybe even heard both tables? Would appreciate thoughts!

Also, thinking if taking my sme 3009 arm with me...if it can mate well with a dynavector 10x5.

Thank you

2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Stick with the Thorens . It looks nicer than the tecnodec , change cartridge to dnynavector as you said . I own the Gyrodec & yes it's superb but I imagine deep down if you bought the tecnodec , it might if at all better the Thorens by that much and you wished you had the Gyro. Maybe get a Gyro second hand I did.

3. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I always rather liked the non-suspended Michell turntables such as the Focus and the Hydraulic, so the Tecno is the only current representative. I had a 125 back in the 80s and didn't care for it (preferred the 150 or the 124). Always wanted a good listen to the Tecno so suggest you do same.

4. ThorensSme

Thanks - only problem is demo ing a tecnodec is hard in the states!

5. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Maybe put a Jico SAS on that Shure.....lots of folks find it to be a dynamic upgrade and quite economical versus a table upgrade.

6. ThorensSme

Yes I've heard good things about the Jico. I don't think i'd opt for it, as the V15xMR does what I think it was designed to do. It has some great qualities, its just not very 'exciting' to listen to sometimes. Has anyone here used a Dynavector 10x5 on their vintage sme 3009 arm?

7. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I think this is exactly where the Jico SAS helps you out. It really does a fantastic job of getting that detail that will excite you and draw you into the music more. Bass is tight and taught, but stays deep and rick. Mids are just dreamy. I think action pact uses one and had the stock version prior and he was extremely happy with the upgrade. Maybe a PM his way is in order.

Might seem like I am stuck on this, but it had a Shure M91ED, surely not in the V15 class, but it came with out a stylus. So I opted for the Jico....then I found out there was no left channel with the M91. So I bought one on the bay. It came with the stock stylus. It was sort of just loose and slimy with the stock stylus. After a few albums I put the Jico on. Fresh from the box it was miles ahead. Just not even the same cartridge any longer. After about 40 hours or so it's even better. I use a 2M Black on a Thorens TD-166 MKii with a RB250 with Cardas wire. The Jico is on a stock Denon DP790 at work. Let's just say the Jico M91 keeps up just fine. Not quite there, but pretty dang close.

for $180 bucks, it's a steal....

8. ThorensSme

Sunday bump. Looking for more excitement in my vinyl rig!

9. ThorensSme

Update: still considering this. The sme wiring on my 3009 is crumbling and needs to be rewired. The old DIN connector has lost tension in its springs as well as the wiring is not of very good quality. Coupled with the 45 year PCB board controlling the Thorens, It may be time to move on.

So anyone with Michell Tecnodec experience, please chime in. What arms/carts do you use? My friend has the Gyro SE and it is awesome. I'm sure the tecnodec is not as good but it can't be totally far behind either...

10. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I've got a Tecnodec/Technoarm. I currently use a Shure cart with a Jico SAS on it, have used a Goldring 2500/1042 on it as well. I've also used an SME 3009 arm on the 'dec.

Each change yielded a definite alteration in the sound which was pretty easy to discern. It's a good, neutral platform, undeniably not as good as a Gyro (which is on my list further down the road), but still excellent.

ThorensSme and Beattles like this.
  11. ThorensSme

Great thank you for the information! I'm curious about your experience w the sme 3009 on it...sounds like the techno arm was better for you? I've been curious about the origin live arms as well - as I've never been impressed by stock rega arms.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If OP is sure the Gyro is a big step up why not get a used example. Defo a league above TD160s I once owned.

13. ThorensSme

I'm the OP, it's rare a used gyro comes up for sale from what I've seen. But that is a great idea.

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thorens 125 and 124 owner here.
    If you like the sound of the Gyrodec that much, I concur that waiting for a used table is the way to go.

In the meantime, by all means upgrade that tonearm! The 3009 looks "appropriate" on those vintage Thorens tables. But you can do so much better. Upgrade the cart as well. Make sure the springs and cups are washed in soapy water and adjusted to be perfectly level. Make sure the table is perfectly lever wherever it's placed.

It sounds like you know what your doing with your 125, but I'd upgrade that arm and cart before making any more comparisons.

ThorensSme likes this.
  15. ThorensSme

Can you recommend some newer arms that would work with the shure v15, which eventually I will replace but I can't do it all at once and I have some spare stylus to use up for it as well. My arm budget would top out at about 800, and Id have to sell the sme to help with that...

16. ThorensSme

And yes, I've put proper care into suspension tuning and leveling - haven't washed the springs and cups though.

17. thommo

thommo Senior Member

The Technoarm was better for the (heavy) Goldring 2500, which was my favourite cartridge, and which sounded immense with the Technoarm, hence why I sold the SME. The 3009 sounded great with the high compliance Shure M75+SAS I had.

Of course, now I wrecked the Goldring and am back using a Shure + SAS again, I'm wishing I'd kept the SME, but realistic economics at the time meant two entered, one left.

18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

It does happen. I purchased one with ORBE upgrades and an Origin Live Encounter arm for less than half the price of new about two years ago. Keep your eye on eBay and/or post a WTB in the classified section.

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I can recommend some older tonearms - the Jelco SA750D (medium/low compliance) and Grace (high compliance) come to mind first. For new, the SME M2 (not cheap) is recommended.

20. ThorensSme

Does anyone have experience putting an origin live arm on the Thorens? I can make a new armboard easy. From the specs I see I am just at the minimum platter height recommended for their arms (29mm).

21. ThorensSme

Well, I found a used Tecnodec with Tecnoarm locally, and so far I am thrilled! Amazing refinement in all areas. So happy!
    The thorens may have a bit extra bass weight, but I'm not missing it so much in the tecnodec. The Tecnoarm is certainly several classes better than my unrestored SME 3009. Also love the aesthetic of Michell turntables, build quality being first class.

Best of all the tecnodec really retains the sound of the Gyro, with perhaps a bit smaller scale and a bit less dynamic. But even then it is close enough that I don't think one really can have anything to complain about.

thommo likes this.
  22. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm a huge fan of the newer SME tonearms, 309, IV, and V. I mounted my SME 345 on a TD-124, and it looked pretty good, and sounded great.

I recommend buying a used 309, then buy a used Gyrotec as they come available. Once you you get a good tonearm, you can save tons on used armless decks from dealers.

23. ThorensSme

I'm actually quite happy where I am! Where I want to be with my sound . My priorities have now shifted elsewhere. Thanks to everyone for the Input.

The sme 309/gyro combo is fantastic - but I won't have a need for either for a few years Assuming my audio sanity stays put...

24. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I apologize,by not reading the last post. Congratulations on your purchase!

25. ThorensSme

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.