Has Yoko ever commented on the unseen 1980 Lennon music videos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Also uploaded on Youtube from 1980 (this was uploaded in 2011, but i've never spotted this vastly superior version) is John's last filmed interview.

I think/hope that anyone will agree that this is probably 1st/2nd generation away from the master copy.

Would be nice to have this in full too.

DrAftershave, theMess and gswan like this.
  2. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

I'll gladly take that minute :)

theMess and Vidiot like this.
  3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Wow, would I ever love to see this!

4. helter

helter Forum Resident

Shortly after John's death according to Robert Rosen Lennons personal assistant Fred seaman was looting the Dakota of Johns personal items and literally had boxes of John's stuff piled to the ceiling in his apartment.
    For at least 2 years after John's death yoko had no idea what was missing in the apartment and was not organized at all. Seaman was later convicted of theft but it was too late to recover many things that have never been seen again.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Doesn't anyone here actually know Yoko personally?

6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

7. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

NOW this thread is taking off...!

linclink, theMess and mc7t like this.
  8. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

never seen those screen captures before. Great find! I've been on that site before and didn't see them. They must have been added in the last year or so.

9. helter

helter Forum Resident

My favorite thread in Hoffman history !!

linclink, tagomago, Ettan and 2 others like this.
  10. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing these! Awesome -- different screen captures in even better resolution! mindgames -- can you share where you found these? Has the full footage of John's performances survived -- or just the insert shots?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    linclink likes this.
  11. helter

helter Forum Resident

What are insert shots?
    I would think the video would be some place otherwise how could screen shots from the video be obtained?

12. monkboughtlunch

My understanding is that Dubin's video crew first shot live performance footage of John (live vocal). Then they went back and videotaped close ups of John from different angles (including shots of his hands playing the guitar) to edit in to the live performance shots in post production. This is because they had a limited number of cameras and wanted different angles shown in the final edit. Perhaps experts on this who have studied the Jack Douglas "hidden mic audio cassette transcripts" can elaborate. The addition of the cap suggests those captures might be from the insert shot portion of the Dubin shoot (because in the Douglas audio cassette tape, Lennon says Fred Seaman is bringing him a white baseball cap -- and Lennon says this apparently after some live performance footage was already shot by Dubin), but I haven't read the full Douglas audio tape transcripts in ages. This might suggest that in the the live performance vocal section, Lennon may not have been wearing the ball cap.

Also, perhaps somewhere earlier in this thread, it was speculated that the insert shots may have been recorded on tape 2 as opposed to tape 1. In other words, the insert shots might reside on a different tape than the one with the live performance vocals.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    nikh33 likes this.
  13. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

[​IMG] Looks like Yoko's "baseball" cap...

Grunherz54 and theMess like this.
  14. Papa's got a brand new avatar!

15. So would this footage have been taken the same day as the Yoko footage from the "Then and Now" doc?

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked on Yoko's music video "New York Rock," but only worked with director Peter Bogdonovich. He was very nice and interesting to work with and had only very kind things to say about Yoko, saying she was totally self-effacing, the opposite of egotistical, and bent over backwards to be nice to everybody on the shoot. I was disappointed she didn't come into the session, but Peter did at least share some great Orson Welles stories.

I do know people who know Yoko, and I'm told she has several different personalities depending on who you're dealing with. She can be loyal, funny, and cooperative; but she can also be bitter, spiteful, and demanding. I get the feeling she was extremely temperamental in the 1960s and 1970s, but I think she began settling down as she got older. But I believe the stories about numerology, drugs, and all that stuff -- they have the ring of truth to them. On the other hand, Yoko's drug use couldn't have been that bad, since she's still alive and kicking today. If you had told me back in the 1980s that Yoko would outlive George Harrison by 15 years, I would've scoffed.

videoman, theMess and Baba Oh Really like this.
  17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Sean might be easy to find around NYC

18. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I think I've mentioned this somewhere in the last 22 pages - the video that still exists consists of Yoko's segment and John's insert shots. I strongly suggested that the producers of LENNONYC request this specific footage, but it didn't happen. I was told that they felt the quality was deficient, something clearly evidenced by mindgames screen shots.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I understand that the quality might have been subpar, but they chose to use nothing instead? It's not like it has been overused as footage. Producers have strange reasons for doing stranger things. but, unless the licensing might have been deemed a waste for what was essentially B-roll, it seems like a missed opportunity.

Dan

gswan likes this.
  20. deadman

deadman Forum Resident

There was some talk a few days back on other forums that there were screenshots in the booklet of the recent bootleg release 'John Lennon - Oddities vol. 3'. I guess these are those same pictures.

linclink likes this.
  21. monkboughtlunch

Who is "they"? The producers of the LENNONYC or Yoko's people?

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If it was a VHS camera or something, it's pretty substandard. But there are cases where very bad cameras and tapes were used in feature films. The biggest one I know of was Michael Jackson's This Is It, where they used rehearsal footage from a half-dozen different sources, some of which were really, really bad.

23. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

Well, Michael did think of himself as being bad, really, really bad!

ajsmith and mrjinks like this.
  24. monkboughtlunch

Those jpg images don't convey the full resolution of the masters. We can't really judge "quality" from that. We don't know if someone took a lossy picture of a monitor screen to create those jpgs and what generation tape the jpgs derives from. We do know the masters are reportedly 1" type C open reel videotapes, an NTSC broadcast standard format, with a minimum horizontal resolution of at least 330 lines. In contrast, I believe quadruplex 2" tape resolved about 400 lines, so the 1" tape format used by Dubin for the location shoot would have more than enough resolution to achieve professional level video quality as this 1" format was used for pro-commercial production back in the day.

25. helter

helter Forum Resident

I don't know many of the Lennon music videos made after his death included 8mm film ...this is certainly better quality than that.

gswan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.